Doctor Who

Soldato
Thor, IronMan in comics, Ghostbusters, Starbuck from BG...

But the point I am trying to make is (but everyone can feel free to keep skipping over it) they feel the need to change established heroes from Male to Female rather than get creative and invent new Female Heroes.

There is enough room for both.

This is my take on it, and I am prepared to be corrected. There aren't enough female heroes in general. Generally I think the producers of TV Shows/Films don't generally believe people want to watch shows with female leads. They don't think it sells. You could create a new IP with a Female lead, but it is unlikely to be bought because of this belief it won't sell. However if you use an existing IP you get the opportunity to show it can work and potentially lead the way for new IP in the future with female leads.

Man of Honour
This is my take on it, and I am prepared to be corrected. There aren't enough female heroes in general. Generally I think the producers of TV Shows/Films don't generally believe people want to watch shows with female leads. They don't think it sells. You could create a new IP with a Female lead, but it is unlikely to be bought because of this belief it won't sell. However if you use an existing IP you get the opportunity to show it can work and potentially lead the way for new IP in the future with female leads.

There certainly arent many with female leads, I think many of the best female lead tv shows are from quite a while ago, stuff like Cagney and Lacey, Juliet Bravo, Buffy the Vampire Slayer etc. I guess in recent movie franchises, you'd have to look to stuff like the Alien films, the Resident Evil franchise and the Underworld movies for female leads.

Permabanned
Thor, IronMan in comics, Ghostbusters, Starbuck from BG...

But the point I am trying to make is (but everyone can feel free to keep skipping over it) they feel the need to change established heroes from Male to Female rather than get creative and invent new Female Heroes.

There is enough room for both.

So there's 4... only a couple thousand more and you could use that statistic to bolster your argument.

It's all very well saying 'make more female role models' (which they have been doing), but if that 'role model' doesn't make any money...

If we're going to say this is 'appropriation', I'd say good. If that's actually what it's going to take for women to be more culturally accepted as 'hero' characters, lets get it done.

Oh boy, I can feel the hate already xD

Soldato
I just wish they'd done what the Trek people did. They didn't reboot with a female Kirk, they did Voyager with Janeaway, who is a fantastic female character that had her own series and didn't hang off anyone's coat-tails. We need more good female characters, not less male ones. It just seems lazy and shows a lack of faith that they couldn't do a new character in a new show.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I just wish they'd done what they Trek people did. They didn't reboot with a female Kirk, they did Voyager with Janaway, who is a fantastic female character that had her own series and didn't hang off anyone's coat-tails. We need more good female characters, not less male ones. It just seems lazy and shows a lack of faith that they couldn't do a new character in a new show.

On the plus side in the ST regard, the new series has a female captain and a female first officer :)

Caporegime
Except he has been Male since birth as we have seen him as a young boy...... BUT that's not even my issue with it, its not that fact they have gone with a female version of the doctor its the reasons behind why they did it and the lack of creative thinking where they could have gone with a new idea "hey, lets make a new strong female lead program", I can only guess they thought if they did think of something original with a female protagonist it would have fallen flat on its face, more fool them!

Also I loved the Missy take on the Master, the actress that played Missy would have done a great job as the Doctor which is a shame, also loved the Sarah Jane chronical (even if it was a proper kids show) so I have no problem with woman in lead roles or being the hero or even being the Doctor I just don't see why the media has to keep taking away Male heroes and replacing them with Female ones rather than coming up with new female heroes!
Except the times where he has said, on many occasion, and not just recently, that he has been a woman in the past.

Man of Honour
So, to go back to the question I asked earlier, does anyone with a good knowledge of the Lore know if there has ever been a non human timeperson? Can they regenerate as another species or do they essentially have to always have gallifrey physiology?

Man of Honour
We could have had Swiss Doctor, "Driving the TARDIS is very much like making love to a beautiful woman....."

Thread derailment could happen with suggestions for the end of that sentence. :)

"Driving the TARDIS is very much like making love to a beautiful woman......... a whole lot of noise and not a lot of movement.

Soldato
I'd have preferred it if they kept it male, and just made a new series with a female lead. As we've seen with the master, changing the gender of a character changes the personality quite considerably, I fear that the Doctor won't really be the doctor anymore.

I don't have a problem with it. I do hope that they get their writing sorted tho. Less of all this BS Lefty rubbish crammed in for the PC crowd.

We can but hope that having a female lead ticks enough PC boxes for them to concentrate properly on the story...

Soldato
So, to go back to the question I asked earlier, does anyone with a good knowledge of the Lore know if there has ever been a non human timeperson? Can they regenerate as another species or do they essentially have to always have gallifrey physiology?
None of them are human. They are all Timelord. Timelord is the name of their species.
Whether a Timelord and a Gallifreian are the exact same thing, or if Timelords live on other planets as well, remains to be seen...

Man of Honour
None of them are human. They are all Timelord. Timelord is the name of their species.
Whether a Timelord and a Gallifreian are the exact same thing, or if Timelords live on other planets as well, remains to be seen...

Well, you know what I mean, human looking. Can a timeperson regenerate as a different species? Could they regenerate as a Sea Devil or an Ice Warrior or something, a Sontaran timeperson would be pretty cool :)

Soldato
Well, you know what I mean, human looking. Can a timeperson regenerate as a different species? Could they regenerate as a Sea Devil or an Ice Warrior or something, a Sontaran timeperson would be pretty cool :)
One of the companions once said, "You look human", to which the Doc responds, "No, you look Timelord".
Therefore, I'd suspect the answer is no - The basic DNA/appearance of a Timelord is not only humanoid, but very human.
Plus, it'd be a nightmare for any actor having to regularly don makeup and prosthetics every time.

Back
Top Bottom