Oled out of the box now what.........

Associate
As above
Current tv is almost 6yrs of age panasonic 50" 3d plasma still a good set but i have decided to upgrade.
i have coming on tuesday an lg oled55c6v. Once i have the tv setup and positioned where i want it should i need to do anything in order to calibrate the set, if so is there an idiot's guide kicking round?

thanks

Soldato
I generally find I spend several hours tweaking things over several days to get things how I like them.
Not a great fan of presets but there are some on line if you feel the default is way off.
You could acquire a calibration tool but I tend to think I know what I like more than a tool.
Andi.

Associate
not sure on OLED (but i would have thought so ) Tv's need a couple of weeks to "bed in" really before you try any calibration :)

Caporegime
bed in for 100 hours. then pay a pro calibrator £200 to calibrate it for you.

no point messing about with settings unless you have the proper equipment needed to calibrate it. also a pro calibrater should calibrate it for different viewing environments too. e.g. night and day (dark room vs light room)

Caporegime
when your spending £1500+ on a tv IMO you would be stupid not to get it professionally calibrated. it's pennies in comparison and that way you know it's been done right and cannot get any better.

Soldato
I had mine professionally calibrated, the guy told me to put as many hours on it as possible beforehand to let it settle in.

I'd already spent a long time tweaking before the pro cal, using settings from others and playing around but it still made a big difference.

It's nice knowing that I'm seeing the film how it was intended, correct skin tones and such.

Associate
I had mine professionally calibrated, the guy told me to put as many hours on it as possible beforehand to let it settle in.

I'd already spent a long time tweaking before the pro cal, using settings from others and playing around but it still made a big difference.

It's nice knowing that I'm seeing the film how it was intended, correct skin tones and such.
what did he charge Nick , if you don't mind me asking ?

Soldato
I think it was £180, he charged a little less as I only use 1 input on the TV, everything connects through my AV amp

don't get that, you usually just copy the setting from one input to another,
sources are outputting the same colour space for each of sd/hd/4k respectively, and the tv processing on the inputs will/should be the same.

settings for motion processing can be subjective based on different material eg formula1/football.

It would be interesting if they left you with a plot for the luminance response for the HDR like those in other recentg post here
so that you can see what to expect in terms of trade-offs

copying the settings also enables you to acrhive them on unused hdmi inputs, so that you can make adjustments yourself and then restore if you want (pany anyway)

Soldato
There’s some kind of bug with my LG OLED where copying the settings doesn’t really work, entering a full 20 point calibration can be time consuming. The guy was really fast with the menus, could tell he’d done loads of them.

He showed me the colour space of rec 2020 and how far off it was, there’s no adjustment on my set once HDR is on.

Caporegime
don't get that, you usually just copy the setting from one input to another,
sources are outputting the same colour space for each of sd/hd/4k respectively, and the tv processing on the inputs will/should be the same.

settings for motion processing can be subjective based on different material eg formula1/football.

It would be interesting if they left you with a plot for the luminance response for the HDR like those in other recentg post here
so that you can see what to expect in terms of trade-offs

copying the settings also enables you to acrhive them on unused hdmi inputs, so that you can make adjustments yourself and then restore if you want (pany anyway)

different sources may output the same thing slightly differently. that is why they usually calibrate each source. it's also why some people spend £800 on a blu ray player as opposed to just buying a £25 blu ray player. blu ray itsef is a digital format so you would think they would send the same digital signal. apparently not

Associate
different sources may output the same thing slightly differently. that is why they usually calibrate each source. it's also why some people spend £800 on a blu ray player as opposed to just buying a £25 blu ray player. blu ray itsef is a digital format so you would think they would send the same digital signal. apparently not

Blu ray players all output the exact same digital signal via HDMI that is on the disc.

People pay extra if they want onboard analogue decoding, or extra features like SACD decoding, App's, upscaling or other post processing features like darbee.

Associate
OP
Stick with the isf dark or isf bright presets initially. They are pretty close to being accurate, not perfect mind but close.

yeah thats what am using at the moment. The issue i have now is finding a code for my sky navigator remote to adjust the volume of the set? the navigator is the remote that flips open and has the keyboard inside it, my old sky remote adjusts the volume fine. So if anyone has a working navigator remote i'd be grateful.

cheets

Soldato
Blu ray players all output the exact same digital signal via HDMI that is on the disc
from ub900 review, posted earlier
With a Blu-ray player, several factors come into play to enjoy an excellent image in any circumstance, whatever the content and the broadcaster. Nowadays, video decoding is often very good and fairly equivalent between each reader, although a few shades of image quality can be observed from one chip to another or from one manufacturer to another ( Such as the use of software noise reducer to mask residual noise generated by low-end electronics and therefore inevitably less sharpness in the image, or color enhancement algorithms for a more flattering rendering, but which distorts the Colors, or even filters activated by default to give the impression that the image is more precise than on other readers). On this side, the Panasonic UB900 does not cheat (at least in normal picture mode). No DNR (Digital Noise Reduction), nor any filter is activated by default, the choice is left to the user to activate or not the filters of improvement of the image
I am not convinced colour sapce gets corrupted though, such that a single blue ray colour space characterization is not good for all sources.

Associate
from ub900 review, posted earlier

I am not convinced colour sapce gets corrupted though, such that a single blue ray colour space characterization is not good for all sources.

From a review published today of the Xbox ones as a UHD Player
https://www.avforums.com/review/mic...es-console-4k-uhd-blu-ray-player-review.13709

"Some people were also put off by misleading reviews that seemed to suggest that the Xbox One S was in some way inferior to certain standalone UHD Blu-ray players. As we have said on numerous occasions, unless the player is applying some back door processing, all players outputting a digital signal over a digital connection have to be identical. How can two players read the same set of ones and zeros and yet somehow one of the players has more detail, depth, pop, black level or insight (whatever that means) – that's clearly absurd."

Back
Top Bottom