neighbours without respect for other road users, or the law.

Soldato
Tell me about it. I've got an old Polo that literally never gets dinged.

Recently replaced our 'main' family car and bought a 3 year old Tiguan, in perfect condition..... which has had 3 car park dents in 4 months. One I on the wheel arch I got repaired (£150 - was a great price), but there's also a significant car door dent along the bodywork 'crease' in on the side, and a tow bar dent/crack in the rear bumper.

In some ways, I would actually like for the polo to get ****** up in car parks, as long as the other one didn't - I would then, at least, feel lucky about it being the crappy old car and not the good one.

indeed, incendiary countermeasures for people who ding car doors should be legal!

Caporegime
Tell me about it. I've got an old Polo that literally never gets dinged.

Recently replaced our 'main' family car and bought a 3 year old Tiguan, in perfect condition..... which has had 3 car park dents in 4 months. One I on the wheel arch I got repaired (£150 - was a great price), but there's also a significant car door dent along the bodywork 'crease' in on the side, and a tow bar dent/crack in the rear bumper.

In some ways, I would actually like for the polo to get ****** up in car parks, as long as the other one didn't - I would then, at least, feel lucky about it being the crappy old car and not the good one.

I park my car round the right of our ASDA. all the morons tend to park in front of it. i walk probably the same distance to the front door as they do but usually i have 6 spaces around me. even after taking all these precautions some moron pinged my passenger door within the past month or so. i imagine it was at braehead.

carp parking spaces need to be made at least 20% bigger IMO. only way to stop this. i've also once pulled up in a car park. had a woman drive up and park beside me and just whack her door into mine then completely ignore me sitting in the car. she was also opening her door to throw litter out too and then eat a mc'ds with kids in the car. i got out and checked and luckily no damage. but i took her regy down just in case and went home and checked it over properly as it was raining.

Soldato
OP
Do older cars have thicker steel on the exterior skin and more resilient paint (solvent based not water) so are inherantly more ding proof.
(could not find any breakout by manufacturer but 0.8mm seems typical, Changes to aluminium is going to have repercussions too.)

Car parking slots are going to have to be supersized too ... why not charge more for bigger cars ?

Soldato
Car parking slots are going to have to be supersized too ... why not charge more for bigger cars ?

they don't really need to be supersized, but an extra 2 feet is going to make the world of difference.

for example at our asda, if you have 3 normal cars (ie nothing american or stupidly massive) parked properly next to each other, there's going to be a 1' gap between wing mirrors on both sides for the central car.

hell even for a small 3 door car like a fiesta or even a yaris, is a nightmare to try and get out of in these situations. it's one of the reasons i flat out refuse to own a 3 door car.

Soldato
Do older cars have thicker steel on the exterior skin and more resilient paint (solvent based not water) so are inherantly more ding proof.
(could not find any breakout by manufacturer but 0.8mm seems typical, Changes to aluminium is going to have repercussions too.)

I know the paint used to be oil based, which was much tougher. The panels on some old cars definately feel a lot more solid than more recent ones too.

Aluminium is a good thing though, it won't rust! Though I think we are close to mass production carbon fiber, so I'm hoping that will replace steel instead.

Soldato
Nope, some people look after their car and any minor mark is repaired, others will happily drive around with one side caved in so long as the vehicle still works.

Don't forget OP most people who have a car don't see it as an car and only as a transport mode to get from A to B and if it does that then they don't care what state it is in.

Caporegime
Nope, some people look after their car and any minor mark is repaired, others will happily drive around with one side caved in so long as the vehicle still works.

Don't forget OP most people who have a car don't see it as an car and only as a transport mode to get from A to B and if it does that then they don't care what state it is in.

Quite. That MK4 VW Golf in the OP is clearly seen as no more than most people see their washing machine.

Soldato
OP
if obscured characters might cost you £100 fixed penalty, many folks are sensitive to that, or, a recall on their hotpoiint dryer, it seems wonky is not itself illlegal so maybe a new trend.
"in 2015 ... 5,395 who were fined or prosecuted nationwide" so you can play the odds.

I am not unduly concerned by cosmetics (remember your first keying ?) fixed enough to avoid corrosion (did buy the right match) mechanical integrity is more important.

Associate
if obscured characters might cost you £100 fixed penalty, many folks are sensitive to that, or, a recall on their hotpoiint dryer, it seems wonky is not itself illlegal so maybe a new trend.
"in 2015 ... 5,395 who were fined or prosecuted nationwide" so you can play the odds.

I see you haven't taken the advice from this thread as you're still looking up articles relating to registration plate regulations. :p

Its not your job to enforce it, so focus on the things in your life that you can control.

Soldato
OP
OP*2 just showing my workings - due diligence, with a few minutes of searches (350M a week NHS funding - lol)
first reply was correct/good

Soldato

Hmnn, I am somewhere in between.

I love my vehicles and am willing to spend considerable amounts of money making sure they work well.

None of my vehicles are less than 20 years old.

At the same time, I am not too upset about "Minor Injuries"

Having a large number of clearly visible minor battle scars does, IME, seem to confer considerable benefits when it comes to trying to emerge from my drive way, side roads, and on mini-roundabouts when the traffic is busy.... ;) :p

Soldato
following some kind of accident neigbour has now been driving around with a part obscured/off-angled number plate for the last few weeks, with last two characters difficult to distinguish (like last character I show)

He has the means to restore it within legal requirements, but has just not bothered. clearly no point speaking to him.

Do you just put up with people like this ?

35820949802_3374fb6ed2_o_d.jpg

you need to get out more

Soldato
OP
wasting my time giving it a 2nd glance nevermind photographing it, editing it and posting it on here.
Yes that is 3 minutes of my life gone - too much? (it is a doddle on a laptop), I learned something though - dont't do it again :D, no not really, the feedback was helpful.

I extrapolate from replies onto what opinion would be of moving traffic respect issues (tailgateing etc etc) with daily recidivists I see on commute route, but w/o a 360 video cannot really have an objective forum discussion (not that objectivism ever stops discussion)

Soldato
TBH I've stopped caring so much about minor stuff, it just gets to expensive to keep forking out £60-80 a time to have guy pull small dents. My GT86 has a few small dings and scrapes no it (though hard to see unless you look for them) and the wafer thin modern paint is full of stone chips on the front bumper. I'll probably just sort them out in one go before I sell it, if I sell it.

Keeping a daily car pristine isn't really possible. Even if you don't get dinged in carparks, your going to get hit by debris from crumbling roads :(

If I had an old and low value car I probably wouldn't bother either. Beyond what I can do myself with a hammer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom