I'm moving to Glasgow next month - any OcUKers from there?

Soldato
OP
Are you a city kind of person? Glasgow has plenty of green space, but its still a fairly densely populated city. If your not a city person, have you looked at areas like Milngavie which have a more town like feel to them?

Cheers, I'll give that a look, sounds like it would be more my sort of thing than having the city right on my doorstep and it seems like transport links means it's easy and fairly quick to get into the city itself anyway.

The other thing my colleagues in Glasgow advised me when I considered working through there was that commuting in Glasgow is awful. Far worse than Aberdeen (I've experience of both). I see you're doing shifts so perhaps that won't matter, but I'd say if you're starting around 9 you probably want to be fairly close to work.

I'll be doing 7am starts, 2pm starts and 9pm starts mostly. Main thing is to find out if I can actually park at work because I'm not paying public car park prices each day!

Don't do this if you have a car, don't wanna fight you for spaces when I am at work lol

If you can afford the west end go for it, failing that Shawlands would be a close second these days. Queens park can be nice but stay far away from the Govanhill side of it. But my vote would be Shawlands.

Thanks, there was actually a flat I found in Shawlands that I thought I bookmarked but I can't find it now, I'll dig out out again. Need to get a day of viewings arranged next week.

Soldato
OP
Took a drive down for a few viewings today. One in Springboig which was fairly nice but I'm not entirely sure about the area. Another was in Cambuslang, nicer still and the area seems better but it's also a bit far from the city; it seems a bit of a shame to move down to Glasgow only to be miles away from it. I now need to decide whether I go for either of these two or take the risk of trying to arrange another round of viewings.

Also saw one in Kinning Park, nice area and much closer but the property itself was awful. Stank of cigarette smoke, carpets were very grubby and the bathroom was disgusting. It clearly hadn't been looked after.

Associate
Took a drive down for a few viewings today. One in Springboig which was fairly nice but I'm not entirely sure about the area. Another was in Cambuslang, nicer still and the area seems better but it's also a bit far from the city; it seems a bit of a shame to move down to Glasgow only to be miles away from it. I now need to decide whether I go for either of these two or take the risk of trying to arrange another round of viewings.

Also saw one in Kinning Park, nice area and much closer but the property itself was awful. Stank of cigarette smoke, carpets were very grubby and the bathroom was disgusting. It clearly hadn't been looked after.

Have a look at on the ouskirts of Glasgow the likes of Airdrie/Coatbridge is really good as it has rail links to both Glasgow and Edinburgh. Glasgow is only a ~15 minute train depending on which station you use.

Soldato
Cambuslang hrmmm only good thing is 10 minutes from Glasgow city centre by train. Its ok I guess just avoid the schemes. Town centre is a bit of a dive. Though if u like kart racing there's one 5 Minutes walk away

Coatbridge hrmmm not sure about that either.

Soldato
OP
I'd suggest you keep looking. Have you had a look at any places in the West End? Still central and far, far preferable to the areas you've looked at.

A bit, any areas to search for specifically? I've looked at Finnieston so far but it's quite expensive for anything that looks decent. Also looked at Dennistoun but same story there it seems.

The problem with continuing the search is that time isn't really on my side here, I start the new job on 22nd August so if it's another week until I can get down there for a second round of viewings, I'll be cutting it very close. :(

Soldato
OP
Cambuslang hrmmm only good thing is 10 minutes from Glasgow city centre by train. Its ok I guess just avoid the schemes. Town centre is a bit of a dive. Though if u like kart racing there's one 5 Minutes walk away

Coatbridge hrmmm not sure about that either.

Thanks, the immediate area around the flat seemed pretty good, lots of fairly new-builds and the flat itself can't be very old itself, but I did take a drive through the town and it wasn't very pretty. Bedrooms face onto the main road too, which could be annoying for noise.

Associate
Have a look at Charing Cross, St Georges Cross, Maryhill Road, Firhill, Queens Cross and surrounding areas, much of a west end vibe with both students and young professionals but not so much of the cost. You are also within a couple of minutes walk from a subway station, busses every 6 minutes or so to the city centre or a 5 to 20 minute walk on a nice night if you feel so included to walk home from the city :)
Knighstwood, Whiteinch, Croftfoot, Kings Park, Hampden and Langside, The new Gorbals all within easy commute (or walk) to the city centre all within 5 minutes to 30 minutes travel.
If you want to move further afield maybe consider Paisley, 20 minute train ride in to Glasgow but has a real small town feel (it actually reminded me a lot of Paddington when I worked down south). Theres also Renfrew.

Soldato
springboig is a bit of a hole in fairness,

inlaws stay in Barlanark just 1/2 mile up the road, and you'd have me staying a mile away from you :)

dennistouns nice,

Soldato
A lot of people in this thread who obviously haven't been to Glasgow in a while. It's changed massively since I used to go there pretty often about 14 years ago. I hated it then, but went recently and the place has completely transformed to the point where I'm actually considering moving up there!

Soldato
OP
What is your budget for rent? Might help narrow it down

£550-600, although the Cambuslang one was £625. I emailed them earlier to enquire if it had already been taken after the viewings yesterday, they've said it's still available. Just not sure I want to be spending that much on a place I'm not 100% sure on.

Have a look at Charing Cross, St Georges Cross, Maryhill Road, Firhill, Queens Cross and surrounding areas, much of a west end vibe with both students and young professionals but not so much of the cost. You are also within a couple of minutes walk from a subway station, busses every 6 minutes or so to the city centre or a 5 to 20 minute walk on a nice night if you feel so included to walk home from the city :)
Knighstwood, Whiteinch, Croftfoot, Kings Park, Hampden and Langside, The new Gorbals all within easy commute (or walk) to the city centre all within 5 minutes to 30 minutes travel.
If you want to move further afield maybe consider Paisley, 20 minute train ride in to Glasgow but has a real small town feel (it actually reminded me a lot of Paddington when I worked down south). Theres also Renfrew.

That's brilliant thanks, I'll check those areas out. I think I prefer the idea of being a bit closer to the city, I'm not usually one for that sort of thing but I'm trying to change things up by moving down there and be more outgoing. Plus it would mean less time spent getting to and from work, which is a plus. :)

Associate
That's brilliant thanks, I'll check those areas out. I think I prefer the idea of being a bit closer to the city, I'm not usually one for that sort of thing but I'm trying to change things up by moving down there and be more outgoing. Plus it would mean less time spent getting to and from work, which is a plus. :)

Just a quick search (only as an example please don't be offended lol), this one is around a 1 minute walk from the subway station and then its one stop to Cowcaddens subway station which you will probably get off for Cali Uni, if you feel in the mood its a 5 minute walk to Sauchiehall street at the top of the town or a 15-20 minute walk to Cali uni. its a decent area and has lots of amenities, including a Lidl and Farmfoods just around the corner ( around a 3 minute walk ) and a local shop and post office across from the front of your building. some restricted parking around the area but hey .. theres always Lidls car park and plenty other spaces around lol.
As I said just an example :) I am not trying to sell you anything.

http://www.s1rental.com/Flats-for-rent/2017062920511967.shtml

Soldato
Seriously consider shawlands/the southside. I had a flat in shawlands when i first started out and it was great. I was less than 5 mins from junction 1 of the m77 which got me everywhere easily, had pollock park on my doorstep which was great for walks/the dog etc and was literally about a 6 minute train journey away from the city centre.

I've heard its the 'new west end' now so prices mightve risen slightly but you'll get so much more for your money compared to the west end; which imo is overcrowded, too much traffic, too much cars lining the streets(zero chance of a reliable parking spot) and massively overpriced for what it is.

Cambuslang...wouldnt entertain unless youre going for a more out of town new build estate or flat or something.

Never liked the idea of dennistoun given its surroundings.

Soldato
OP
Nothing much in the city then? That budget would get you something in there.

There is, but for the same thing as I've been looking for elsewhere (2 bed, reasonably modern finish, furnished, off-street parking) the price climbs well past £600. I'm trying to compromise as best I can though!

Just a quick search (only as an example please don't be offended lol), this one is around a 1 minute walk from the subway station and then its one stop to Cowcaddens subway station which you will probably get off for Cali Uni, if you feel in the mood its a 5 minute walk to Sauchiehall street at the top of the town or a 15-20 minute walk to Cali uni. its a decent area and has lots of amenities, including a Lidl and Farmfoods just around the corner ( around a 3 minute walk ) and a local shop and post office across from the front of your building. some restricted parking around the area but hey .. theres always Lidls car park and plenty other spaces around lol.
As I said just an example :) I am not trying to sell you anything.

http://www.s1rental.com/Flats-for-rent/2017062920511967.shtml

Cheers, I was actually looking at a couple of others in that area but for the money, they're a bit basic:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-49413414.html

That would be so easy to get to work though, one subway stop then I'm pretty much at the office. I much prefer that idea to driving all the way out to Cambuslang and back.

What about Bridgeton? Found a couple of decent-looking flats there, I've had a quick look on Streetivew and it seems quite nice.

Soldato
OP
Seriously consider shawlands/the southside. I had a flat in shawlands when i first started out and it was great. I was less than 5 mins from junction 1 of the m77 which got me everywhere easily, had pollock park on my doorstep which was great for walks/the dog etc and was literally about a 6 minute train journey away from the city centre.

I've heard its the 'new west end' now so prices mightve risen slightly but you'll get so much more for your money compared to the west end; which imo is overcrowded, too much traffic, too much cars lining the streets(zero chance of a reliable parking spot) and massively overpriced for what it is.

Cambuslang...wouldnt entertain unless youre going for a more out of town new build estate or flat or something.

Never liked the idea of dennistoun given its surroundings.

Thanks, yeah the more I look at other areas the more I'm put off by the idea of living miles out of the city. I've definitely got a much better idea of where to look now, thanks chaps. I'll need to get some more viewings lined up ASAP.

Soldato
[QUOTE="TheVoice, post: 30983780, member: 40668"
What about Bridgeton? Found a couple of decent-looking flats there, I've had a quick look on Streetivew and it seems quite nice.[/QUOTE]

It's not great, it's getting better - the Commonwealth Games and the Emirates Arena was meant to rejuvenate the area - it's not quite awful but I wouldn't live there. It's probably on par with Mastrick/Torry. If you can, go to Dennistoun.

Furnished or unfurnished?

I used to live in Aberdeen (well, Westhill). Where do you like in Aberdeen and I'll try and recommend a similar area in Glasgow.

Shawlands is a good area:
http://www.s1rental.com/Flats-for-rent/2017071320223291.shtml
http://www.s1rental.com/Flats-for-rent/2017071921000215.shtml

Back
Top Bottom