• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1070 vs PS4 pro at 1080p

Soldato
4.2Tflops vs 6.5Tflops

Given console optimisations and the rest, the gap isn't quite as big as it is on paper in terms of GPU throughput, but those Jaguar CPU cores just suck donkey balls and are a bottleneck millstone around the PS4 Pro GPU's neck

Soldato
Id much prefer to update my PC before getting a console. For me it's always, PC then console later for any exclusives i want.

1070 would be better in your situation i would say. PS Pro won't even play all games a 1080p any different than a standard PS4. You have to hope for a patch. For example Bungie said the PS Pro is not capable of Destiny at 1080p 60FPS. It's the CPU holding it back like many games would. They designed their game to utilise the CPU quite well on PS4 level meaning advanced AI etc. With the small clock boost on the CPU its just not enough to ramp up the FPS from 30 to 60. What it does mean is that you should have a smoother experience with little to no dips in FPS.

Least on PC you can adjust your settings to what you want. Better visuals that PS4 Pro at 30-45 FPS which still is a smoother gaming experience than PS4 Pro at 1440p or just 1080p and max most games out at 1080p at 60fps and still be better than what the PS4 Pro can offer as well as far far superior functionality.

Soldato
My suggestion is, get a GTX 1070 now and enjoy cheaper games and higher settings. Then could pick up a PS4 Pro in Nov when they cut the price because of Xbox X launch.

As a side note, every single PS4 'Exclusive' have the same look and feel about them. Once you play a couple it just seems generic and boring. PC has a huge back catalog and many more diverse types of games then PS4. Something to consider.

Soldato
My suggestion is, get a GTX 1070 now and enjoy cheaper games and higher settings. Then could pick up a PS4 Pro in Nov when they cut the price because of Xbox X launch.

As a side note, every single PS4 'Exclusive' have the same look and feel about them. Once you play a couple it just seems generic and boring. PC has a huge back catalog and many more diverse types of games then PS4. Something to consider.

I think the exact opposite. Every decent ps4 exclusive has new aspect's and are the best sp games i have played over the years apart from the odd few. Infamous feels nothing like GOW, Gow feels nothing like the last of us and so on. I would say PC exclusives lack the polish. Where PC is king for me is in online where i think they still have the edge. Ps4 is getting there in that department as i can now use mouse in just about any games so the menu systems in MMO's are not a problem these days.

Last edited:
Associate
Want to give a stab at why?
The jaguar cores are a cpu bottleneck based on the fact you can get higher fps on a pc with a gimped ryzen cpu and a titan x? Sure why didnt sony/microsoft think of that.

I'm not having a dig at you I just dont see the relevance in anything he done in that video.

Associate
The jaguar cores are a cpu bottleneck based on the fact you can get higher fps on a pc with a gimped ryzen cpu and a titan x? Sure why didnt sony/microsoft think of that.

I'm not having a dig at you I just dont see the relevance in anything he done in that video.

The purpose was to make the CPU the bottleneck.

And also you can see from the analysis at the beginning of the video, the PS4 -> PS4 Pro doesn't give an increase in framerate relative to its GPU power increase (i.e. about 2.3x). Meaning the Jaguar CPU is holding back the new GPUs in the consoles.

So using a 4+0 Ryzen with a Titan Xp is an analogous scenario. Also you can tell from the FPS he's getting that the Titan Xp is being CPU bottlenecked anyway (if you look at reviews).

E.g. The Titan Xp should get 140-150 FPS in the Witcher 3 or 180+ FPS in Just Cause 3

The video does make a valid point, and is not nonsense.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom