Where to go for a cheap 4 day break

Soldato
I want to go on a bit of a touring holiday for a bit of a break from work and such, however, I'm unsure where to go really and am looking for some suggestions...

I'll be going on my own, over the course of around 4 days (Can be shorter). Do any of you have any recommendations of where to go on a budget?

Thanks!! :)

Soldato
OP
Hmm, never thought of that!

I really want to do Scotland, hotel prices are crazy, camping prices look to be cheap.
I was thinking Lochness, from there go to the very top of Scotland and around there is another campsite.

Never done this on my own before haha, I know planning is king. My main issue, is storage space on my Sv650, there isn't any :p

Associate
Where's home?

Scotland, Wales, the Lake District and the Peak District are all generally pretty reachable.

You should be fine with a waterproof duffel bag for 4 days so no issues taking an SV, just strap it to the pillion seat.
When we did Scotland a couple of years back we picked a central point, hired a lodge for 4 days and did day rides from that point, worked quite well though we didn't get all the way to the North Coast. I think if you're planning on going right around the top you'd be best off with > 4 days.

Soldato
OP
Home is near Sheffield!

I was potentially going to take my brother as a pillion, if he wants to.
Do you know of any campsites in the Lake district?

Soldato
Will you be camping?

I did 5 days, 1200 miles across Belgium/Luxembourg/Germany for about £200 all in, if I've still got the routes I'll put them up along with the campsites.

Camping is dirt cheap in Europe, £10 a night most places, and fuel is (was) a fair bit cheaper too.

I stopped an extra day in Cochem so you could do the same route in an easy 4 days, my basic route was:

Calais to Givet, France.
Revin, then Boullion, Belgium, then into Luxembourg to Esch-sur-sure (camping end of day 1).
Day 2 was along the germany/Luxembourg border to the Moselle valley, folling this to Cochem for day 2 camping.
Then carrying on to Koblenz then across to the nordscheleife, and up to the eiffel mountains for end of the 3rd day. Then home via Spa and a quick blast on the Belgium motorway.

The roads in Europe are miles better than the UK, and they're more or less empty.

Last edited:
Associate
I've never camped in the lake district but you can get hotels/B&Bs quite cheap if you stay away from the main towns/villages by the big lakes. Would also save you space on the bike.
If you're going with your brother maybe look at a set of soft panniers.

Europe could also be a good shout sailing from Hull but the overnight ferry might push the cost of the trip up quite a bit.

Soldato
OP
Will you be camping?

I did 5 days, 1200 miles across Belgium/Luxembourg/Germany for about £200 all in, if I've still got the routes I'll put them up along with the campsites.

Camping is dirt cheap in Europe, £10 a night most places, and fuel is (was) a fair bit cheaper too.

I stopped an extra day in Cochem so you could do the same route in an easy 4 days, my basic route was:

Calais to Givet, France.
Revin, then Boullion, Belgium, then into Luxembourg to Esch-sur-sure (camping end of day 1).
Day 2 was along the germany/Luxembourg border to the Moselle valley, folling this to Cochem for day 2 camping.
Then carrying on to Koblenz then across to the nordscheleife, and up to the eiffel mountains for end of the 3rd day. Then home via Spa and a quick blast on the Belgium motorway.

The roads in Europe are miles better than the UK, and they're more or less empty.

Sounds interesting!

Yes we would be camping, not sure if my brother has a passport though, will need to check.

Soldato
Europe is a little easier for me as I'm 30 minutes from the tunnel so I can be in France in under 2 hours from leaving my front door, and short notice on the Eurotunnel can be expensive but it's worth a look.

2 hours on the french/Belgium motorway gets you to to the Ardennes with some cracking roads.

Caporegime
Europe is a little easier for me as I'm 30 minutes from the tunnel so I can be in France in under 2 hours from leaving my front door, and short notice on the Eurotunnel can be expensive but it's worth a look.

2 hours on the french/Belgium motorway gets you to to the Ardennes with some cracking roads.

This sounds ace. I'll add an extra hour on top for the London bit, but sounds like something I'll need to do. Hopefully next year :cool:

Soldato
This sounds ace. I'll add an extra hour on top for the London bit, but sounds like something I'll need to do. Hopefully next year :cool:
Here's a little vid I did of my trip, I had rain the first day but the Moselle valley has it's own microclimate, was great weather from day 2 onwards. Even managed a little max speed run on the autobahn (115mph on my CB400 :D)

Edit: Only people with a myrouteapp account will be able to see these (but I highly reccomend signing up!), here is my route for the 4 days:

Day 1 - https://www.myrouteapp.com/en/social/route/514017?mode=share
Day 2 - https://www.myrouteapp.com/en/social/route/514027?mode=share
Day 3 - https://www.myrouteapp.com/en/social/route/514028?mode=share
Day 4 - https://www.myrouteapp.com/en/social/route/514029?mode=share

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom