Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
Anybody got experience of VM Business here? I used to be with the residential part and got out of my contract due to insane packet loss but considering going back but on their business packages (yep will be used for business as well).

Main thing I'm concerned with is throttling but more importantly support. Don't really want to have to deal with the offshore guys especially with the amount you pay for the business stuff.

Associate
I've got a qustion for you guys.. To the left of the outage is my stats using the SH3, to the right of the outage I have switched the SH3 to modem only mode, and running a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 ... Shouldnt I see an improvement rather than more spikes?

Associate
Any tips on renegotiating with Vm. My contract is up next month and best deals I can get them down to is just 100mg broadband for 32 quid or 37 with player tv or 42 with mix tv. They will also throw in a new box, but they have no 4k service so not much point.

We currently have full house tv but never watch it, hence downgrading tv package.

Soldato
I've got a qustion for you guys.. To the left of the outage is my stats using the SH3, to the right of the outage I have switched the SH3 to modem only mode, and running a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 ... Shouldnt I see an improvement rather than more spikes?

It will make no difference as the SH3 is affected by the Puma bug whether it is in modem mode or router mode. At some point people began spreading the idea that the problem was mitigated by putting the SH3 into modem mode, but that's never been the case.

Caporegime
Any tips on renegotiating with Vm. My contract is up next month and best deals I can get them down to is just 100mg broadband for 32 quid or 37 with player tv or 42 with mix tv. They will also throw in a new box, but they have no 4k service so not much point.

We currently have full house tv but never watch it, hence downgrading tv package.

I just lied and said I had a friend in the same area who had 200Mbps with Virgin and was paying less than what I was currently paying for 150Mbps. Best I could get was £35 for Vivid 200 so I just went for that and it was switched over in minutes.

Associate

I tried a couple of months ago.. We used to have the Full House bundle, but like you never watched the TV channels, and all we got on the phone line was PPI and accident claims, littered with the occasional phone call from "Microsoft" to let me know my machine had been hacked and they could sort it out..

In the end I cancelled everything but the 200mb broadband, and to be honest with you we dont miss either the TV box nor the Phone line.. So for us it made sense to strip it back to BB only.

Good luck with negotiating, but I would they didnt really care much.

Soldato

While the outage was caused by you, that graph looks very much like before and after VM adding more downstream channels. Because of how the bug works, the more downstream channels you have, the worse the 'field of wheat' (Theresa May not included) will become. Our area went from 8 to 24 downstream channels one night (yay, network upgrades!) and the graph went from fairly low yellow spikes to OMGWTFBBQ? instantly.

If and when you fail to come to an agreement with the 'retentions' rep, agree to allow them to disconnect your services. They'll give you a date. Now wait for the inevitable 'We've reviewed your account and you're a good customer...' phone call. That's what I did. We have a CEO special deal but even so, we went through that process and have VIVID 200 Gamer with Homeworks, Full House TV with a V6 TiVO and a second V+ HD box upstairs, and phone for £38 a month. :)

Soldato
Back in the news today: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/...ncy_issue_still_not_fixed_sixth_months_later/

and looks like VM has put out this comms on the forum:

Hi all

We have been working closely with our Hub 3.0 supplier and Intel, and can now confirm we expect field trials of firmware with the required changes to begin shortly. These trials will need to take place before any wider rollout.

We apologise for the time it's taking to get this bug resolved.

James

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5...and-CGNV4-Latency-Cause/td-p/3271492/page/100

Last edited:
Soldato
Took them chuffin long enough but how long will tests be done before rolling out? That's the next bit. Who took so long too? Intel or VM? Because lots of Modem/router manufacturers use intel's Puma6 chip afaik even netgear. So with so many using it why has it took intel this long to roll out a fix?

Soldato
Going back to virgin media (I was last with them in 2010) this is what I get on FTTC. looking at what others have posted im alittle worried.

My Broadband Ping

0806b13a411e7c55d137e5d71e0f5f6c86d3153e

Caporegime
FFS my internet is starting to drop again, maybe 2/3 times a day now, wifi drops off and also the wired V6 box shows the no internet symbol on the front.

Gamer package my ass.

Back
Top Bottom