Elite Dangerous — HOTAS suggestions?

Associate
Hey All — Going to jump back into ED now that I've got an Oculus and was wondering what HOTAS you recommend on somewhat of a budget...

I was going to just get this....
Thrustmaster-T-Flight-Hotas-X-Flight-Stick
Does anyone have any experience? Will I be able to do everything in game without needing a keyboard?

Or should I spend a little more and get this.....which has more programmable buttons...
Thrustmaster-T-16000M-FCS-HOTAS-Controller

Mucho Appreciated.

Adam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Get the 16000 one - With that many buttons, it's awesome anyway and a pretty decent product by most accounts... but once you learn where you mapped everything to, you'll appreciate not having to keep removing your Rift to look at the keyboard!

Associate
Get the T.16000M one, far more accurate than the T-flight. Also get yourself VoiceAttack (pretty cheap) and you might want to consider one of the HCS voice packs for that.

Man of Honour
I would go for the T-Flight Hotas X.

Regardless of the stick+throttle you buy, you simply won't be able to bind all the buttons you need in an ergonomic fashion without using some of the buttons as "shift" buttons. I did this with the hotas x by using three of the throttle buttons as shifters, which - when pressed - changed the function of the buttons on the stick. This meant I essentially doubled the amount of button options I had available, all through using combinations of holding down a left hand mode shifter and then pressing a right hand button. It works an absolute treat, and I found myself playing for hours with zero need to use the keyboard or mouse (aside from the galaxy map and typing in search/chat).

Here's the template I took, and modified slightly to fit my preferences.
1gl6p.png
1gl6p.png

Because of this, I believe there's little point in going for a more expensive product purely for "more buttons", because unless you have 10+ more you'll still need to use a "shift" system. Even if you have 1000 buttons, you can't properly utilise more than the HOTAS X has, as you'd need to bring your hands away from the main controls to press them!

:edit: it's also worth mentioning that the T-Flight has a "notch" in the centre of the throttle's range, where the throttle can sort of soft lock in place. This is really helpful in ED, as you can use the middle as zero thrust, with forward and back as forward and reverse thrust. The T.16000M doesn't have this, so you won't get the helpful notch feel if you do go for that, something I really think you can do with when using a VR headset.

Another good thing about the T-Flight is that you can try it out, then if you decide is isn't for you sell it on ebay for a tiny loss and change :p

Soldato

Regardless of the stick+throttle you buy, you simply won't be able to bind all the buttons you need in an ergonomic fashion without using some of the buttons as "shift" buttons. I did this with the hotas x by using three of the throttle buttons as shifters, which - when pressed - changed the function of the buttons on the stick. This meant I essentially doubled the amount of button options I had available, all through using combinations of holding down a left hand mode shifter and then pressing a right hand button. It works an absolute treat, and I found myself playing for hours with zero need to use the keyboard or mouse (aside from the galaxy map and typing in search/chat).

1gl6p.png
1gl6p.png

Because of this, I believe there's little point in going for a more expensive product purely for "more buttons", because unless you have 10+ more you'll still need to use a "shift" system. Even if you have 1000 buttons, you can't properly utilise more than the HOTAS X has, as you'd need to bring your hands away from the main controls to press them!

Great post :) Thank you.

Associate
:edit: it's also worth mentioning that the T-Flight has a "notch" in the centre of the throttle's range, where the throttle can sort of soft lock in place. This is really helpful in ED, as you can use the middle as zero thrust, with forward and back as forward and reverse thrust. The T.16000M doesn't have this, so you won't get the helpful notch feel if you do go for that, something I really think you can do with when using a VR headset.

Most of the time you don't need reverse thrust though; I've solved it by assigning one of the buttons on my X55 throttle to toggle forward/reverse thrust. I didn't want to waste half of my throttle axis to a range I don't really use except when landing (sure, some combat pilots would use both forward and reverse thrust in combat, I'm not a good combat pilot by any stretch).

Still can't recommend the T-flight though, as it uses potentiometers rather than the hall effect sensors of the T.16000M stick. Potentiometers are not as precise, and more prone to wear and tear. From what I'm reading you also can't set up curves through the Thrustmaster software, which definitely is possible with the T.16000M.

Man of Honour
I found the ability to slip in to reverse simply by pulling back and without having to engage brain a godsend, when landing, lining up cargo pickups and when in combat; I'd be flicking in and out of flight assist mode quite often. I haven't any experience of the SRV but but I've read online that it's nicer to control with this feature too.

Of course, as others have said quality is another matter altogether, and I cannot speak for that as I haven't experienced anything but the T-Flight. I certainly never had any issue with the quality or reliability in the time I've used it, and I never felt like I was missing out on accuracy or any customisation functions. It may be a case of simple ignorance, but I was definitely happy with it and I reckon it's a great way to toe-dip in to the world of flight sticks without giving up too much bank.

Associate
It may be a case of simple ignorance, but I was definitely happy with it and I reckon it's a great way to toe-dip in to the world of flight sticks without giving up too much bank.
It's certainly a case of if you haven't tried it, you don't miss it, but once you have...

About 3 or 4 years back now when I was looking to get my first stick for the first time since the DOS days, I had a mess around with a couple my friends had. One was a simple £20 cheap thing (not even a HOTAS, just a joystick), and the second was an X52 Pro. There was quite a noticeable difference in quality obviously. However, I'd been eyeing up a Warthog, and in the end ordered it.

The jump from the X52 Pro was massive. Once you've used a Warthog, other sticks feel like they are toys. I picked up an MFG Crosswind(rudder pedals) about a year later, and it felt complete. Not cheap admittedly, but I appreciate them every single time I play Elite, Aerofly, etc.

Associate

Regardless of the stick+throttle you buy, you simply won't be able to bind all the buttons you need in an ergonomic fashion without using some of the buttons as "shift" buttons. I did this with the hotas x by using three of the throttle buttons as shifters, which - when pressed - changed the function of the buttons on the stick. This meant I essentially doubled the amount of button options I had available, all through using combinations of holding down a left hand mode shifter and then pressing a right hand button. It works an absolute treat, and I found myself playing for hours with zero need to use the keyboard or mouse (aside from the galaxy map and typing in search/chat)...

Another good thing about the T-Flight is that you can try it out, then if you decide is isn't for you sell it on ebay for a tiny loss and change :p

+1 to all of that!

Bits to highlight/add:
  • You don't need the extra keys of expensive HOTAS set ups.
  • Buy VoiceAttack
  • Buy a decent headset with microphone (a fraction of the price than expensive HOTAS options) and speak the commands.
  • The 'notch' in the HOTAS X throttle is something I take for granted and frankly I've never noticed until it was mentioned in the above post. But it's a major benefit for Elite Dangerous!

Soldato
I use the T Flight and I can't fault it for the price . There are better sticks out there, but on a budget it is really good. Had mine for a couple years now.

Associate
OP

1gl6p.png
1gl6p.png

Thanks — This is super helpful — Is there a link possibly to a bin/config file that has this pre configured? So I could technically just start with this schematic and as I play more I can adjust per my own requirements?

Regards,

Adam.

Associate
I faced similar scenario - lot of research led me to X52 but in the end I opted for a Warthog with some Saitek Pro Combat pedals.

I do love the Warthog - I don't think anything will come close in terms of build quality.

If you're on budget opt for the X52 or T16000

Soldato
With respect:
I haven't experienced anything but the T-Flight.
So how do you know?
I would suggest you give a couple of the high-end HOTASes a go, for that very reason... and because they're awesome.
I started out with a FLY 5, but rapidly felt the need for a full-on HOTAS. The X52s and the X55 were suffering serious bad press from all the breakages and RMAs, but the Warthog is a bit overkill for spaceships, IMO, so I went with a CH Products set. Those are proven to last for decades!
I haven't experienced anything but the T-Flight. Regardless of the stick+throttle you buy, you simply won't be able to bind all the buttons you need in an ergonomic fashion without using some of the buttons as "shift" buttons.
While I do like shift buttons, all of mine sit right under my left fingers and I can hit the various combos as thoughtlessly as you'd right-click. It's about as ergonomic as you can get.

Because of this, I believe there's little point in going for a more expensive product purely for "more buttons", because unless you have 10+ more you'll still need to use a "shift" system.
The more expensive ones tend to have 4-way hats in place of a single button, which immediately quadruples your basic functions and each one gives you 32 controls where the T-Flight would have only 8.
I've got something like 256 hatted command slots, plus split triggers for primary and secondary weapons, plus another 28 straight button command slots... That's easily enough for most of Elite: Dangerous!

You don't need the extra keys of expensive HOTAS set ups.
No, but it's nicer to have more options, especially when wearing a VR headset and being unable to look down at your keyboard or base-buttons. None of this makes you a better pilot, as such (beyond certain obvious limits) and as with choice of mouse, it's about a better experience.

Buy VoiceAttack
I tried this and spent ages messing around, configuring it, re-jigging it, training it in speech and so on, as well as buying several voice packs.
It is seriously cool and awesome fun.... BUT in the time it takes me to speak a single command, I can hit several different button command combos and pull off far more than VA can.

TBH, OP, if you've dropped a load of cash on Elite and bought a VR headset, getting a slightly better HOTAS isn't pushing the boat out that much for the return you'll get.

Associate
It is seriously cool and awesome fun.... BUT in the time it takes me to speak a single command, I can hit several different button command combos and pull off far more than VA can.

That's why I don't use it for things I need quickly or with high frequency. Say deploying landing gear could be done with Voice Attack just fine, and then that would free up a precious button you can use for something you more readily need.

Soldato
That's why I don't use it for things I need quickly or with high frequency. Say deploying landing gear could be done with Voice Attack just fine, and then that would free up a precious button you can use for something you more readily need.
True...
TBH, I spent ages with it not recognising my speech, which led to a few dings and crashes... but even once it was working, I mostly used it just to chat and see if I could get the computer to do all the clever dialogue. It's a nice alternative to the standard computer voice, which gets a bit tired after you've been playing this long! :D

Permabanned
I have been drooling over the Warthog and Crosswind setup for a couple of years now only putting it off as I play so few sims now. I think the Rift will change that. Time to start saving again.

Associate
I have been drooling over the Warthog and Crosswind setup for a couple of years now only putting it off as I play so few sims now. I think the Rift will change that. Time to start saving again.
You won't be disappointed. The first time I took the Warthog out of the box, I actually laughed - the quality was so far above some other sticks I'd tried it was ridiculous. The Crosswinds are that good quality wise, they felt like they were made to match the Warthog.

If I had to criticise anything about it, I'd just wish they'd remake the throttle as a full metal part, but I still wholeheartedly recommend a Warthog+Crosswinds if you wants some insanely nice gear.

edit - typo

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom