Any pilots here?

Hitman
Soldato
Went for an Bose A20 - figured I'll be flying a lot so fancied the upgrade! My current is a Sennheiser S1 Passive which are pretty good but I'll pass them onto any passengers that come up :)

Associate
Bose are excellent, I'm looking to get a pair soon.

I used to have a pair of Lightspeed Zulu PFX's, they were superb for light aircraft, so quiet and comfortable, if a little expensive. I regret selling them now :(

Soldato
Went for an Bose A20 - figured I'll be flying a lot so fancied the upgrade! My current is a Sennheiser S1 Passive which are pretty good but I'll pass them onto any passengers that come up :)

Good choice! When I passed my PPL I also treated myself to a pair of Bose, although the original Aviation, before the updated A20. Awesome headset, and did me well all through my commercial training and 300hrs on the 737. On the Airbus the flight deck is a lot quieter, plus uses a different connector so there was no need for them sadly.

As said by FL630, def get your class 1 asap. It can take a little work to get it and there is no point even planning anything until you have it.

Is the IR(R) the equivalent of the old IMC rating? Night rating is very useful tho and amazing experience when you first land in the dark.

If we get some more pilots on the forum at somepoint we'll need an OcUK fly-in haha.

Hitman
Soldato
Got the headset yesterday and the difference even just sitting in my office with them is incredible - the noise cancelling is just amazing, can't wait to try them out in the aircraft. I'll try to get the class 1 sorted before the end of the year, will be extra peace of mind at least getting passed the initial! The plan was to sort out my fitness first and get back to where I was a year ago!

The IR(R) did replace IMC - not sure if there's any real differences. I know you can only exercise the privileges in the UK.

Man of Honour
Got the headset yesterday and the difference even just sitting in my office with them is incredible - the noise cancelling is just amazing, can't wait to try them out in the aircraft. I'll try to get the class 1 sorted before the end of the year, will be extra peace of mind at least getting passed the initial! The plan was to sort out my fitness first and get back to where I was a year ago!

The IR(R) did replace IMC - not sure if there's any real differences. I know you can only exercise the privileges in the UK.
EASA have a draft NPA to enable IR(R) rated pilots to fly in Class A airspace. Understandably it is being heavily challenged.

Hitman
Soldato
Weather has been absolutely dire here this week so haven't managed to go for a quick bimble. Here's to hoping it's better next week - will see about getting checked out in the 4 seater if it is!

Associate
Yes it has been a little rubbish.

Be warned, if you're going to be checked out on a 4 seater (I assume C152 to PA28?) you'll be reluctant to fly the Cessna again! PA28 is a lovely forgiving touring machine, especially the 180.

Hitman
Soldato
Thanks @thingemajib!

Also forgot to mention, was quoted a turnaround of 10 working days for the issue so I'm hoping to hear something by the end of the week, if not will give the CAA a call to make sure everything's good. Submitted everything online and had a generic "we think the documents you submitted are fine" reply but that's it so far.

Actually on a Grob115 at the moment @FL630 - great fun little aircraft! One of the reasons I moved schools when I first started was because of the 152s - the instructor may as well had been sitting on my lap, there was that little room! The G115s have a boat load more space on the inside and just great fun. If I can sort out a share in a plane, it'll be in a PA28 though for that exact reason!

Associate
Thanks @thingemajib!

Also forgot to mention, was quoted a turnaround of 10 working days for the issue so I'm hoping to hear something by the end of the week, if not will give the CAA a call to make sure everything's good. Submitted everything online and had a generic "we think the documents you submitted are fine" reply but that's it so far.

Actually on a Grob115 at the moment @FL630 - great fun little aircraft! One of the reasons I moved schools when I first started was because of the 152s - the instructor may as well had been sitting on my lap, there was that little room! The G115s have a boat load more space on the inside and just great fun. If I can sort out a share in a plane, it'll be in a PA28 though for that exact reason!

10 working days = ~2 months in CAA land...

G115 was the first thing I ever flew in the cadets, instructor even let me take control during aerobatics!

Associate
My first powered aircraft too as a cadet, the G115, though I sadly never had details of the flights for the logbook. Great aircraft anyway, I'd love to take one for a spin (literally) nowadays. C152's are a little cosy, having spent over 250 hours in the things I am in no hurry to be that close to another human again for a while, it's really quite uncomfortable.

As thingemajib says, don't trust CAA time scales, they are 100% lies. Useless organisation.

Tomorrow is a fun one for me though, get to fly my plane around with no passengers on board, the joys! Humberside and Alicante to add to the logbook too for the first time :)

Hitman
Soldato
Sadly expecting/expected it to take (a lot) longer than they advertised but I'll keep nagging at them until it's landing on my door step! Good luck with the flights tomorrow :)

Hitman
Soldato
Went for a quick hours flight yesterday - most fun flight I've done, no routes to plot, no headings to keep, no height to keep, just go up and have a bit of fun! Then just as I got home, had an email from the CAA to say my PPL application was put on hold :mad: Apparently the course completion certificate which my school give out isn't 'compatible' if you submit your application online. Not something I would know, but surely they should know! I've filled out the appropriate certificate myself and need to pop back in this morning to get a signature - almost 2 weeks wasted as I'll be back to the back of the queue now. :mad:

Man of Honour
Went for a quick hours flight yesterday - most fun flight I've done, no routes to plot, no headings to keep, no height to keep, just go up and have a bit of fun! Then just as I got home, had an email from the CAA to say my PPL application was put on hold :mad: Apparently the course completion certificate which my school give out isn't 'compatible' if you submit your application online. Not something I would know, but surely they should know! I've filled out the appropriate certificate myself and need to pop back in this morning to get a signature - almost 2 weeks wasted as I'll be back to the back of the queue now. :mad:
I was up at Aviation House for a few meetings yesterday. Only about a third of the desks are occupied. The CAA have been subject to huge cuts to their headcount and services like this and many others are suffering. Look at this;

YVez7lS.jpg

Hitman
Soldato
Really is quite appalling!

edit: Sent off the certificate they requested so now another waiting game. I didn't know this, but as an ATO the school have to have their own course completion certificate - why they then don't accept them when you submit your application online is really beyond me and the flying school is just as baffled! The HoT has sent off an email to them to complain and sort it out also.

Last edited:
Associate
The problem with the CAA is, even before any cuts were made, they were the least efficient organisation I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with. Things will get worse with less money, but any private organisation would have gone long since bust treating their customers like they did.

Back
Top Bottom