BBC salaries revealed !!

Soldato
^^^

Bob on Scam. I think it was Kit Harrington who said something like:

"I don't get paid for the work I do. I'd do that for free. I get paid for the complete loss of anonymity that I'll likely have to live with for the rest of my life."
Teressa May and the entire cabinet earn less than a news reader all give up anonymity all do a stressful job. 150k is an obscene sum of money for someone reading something to a camera, it's a public service broadcaster funded by taxation none of them should earn more than the PM.

Caporegime
Because like it or not people like seeing the same face reading the news every night.

that doesn't require close to half a million a year, they all started at some point... let them go to ITN if they want, they're not going to be changing every month

blowing hundreds of grand extra in licence payer's money because you think people like seeing the same faces every night is a pretty dubious use of money though it is likely that sort of attitude that has lead to this. I don't see why they need to 'compete' on that basis, the news ought to be about the quality of news they provide not the familiarity/celebrity of the person reading/presenting it. They are a public organisation and personally I don't think they ought to be competing with commercial broadcasters with regards to every aspect of broadcasting, especially not over extraneous areas like that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Something that just occurred to me on this is why is the media focus entirely on raising female salaries to match the men's why not bring the men's down to match the women's they are all getting plenty!

Soldato
And what would be the point of that when the competition ends up paying double for star talent? You'd end up with a BBC fronted by the Nick Grimshaws of the world, it'd be terrible. Then everyone would complain they're paying a licence fee for endless cheapo reality shows and X Factors.

Nick Grimshaw is on the list.
He is already being paid a large amount.

Soldato
plenty of jobs are stressful and there are plenty of BBC news readers who aren't paid over £150k - like pretty much every regional newsreader

Some BBC news readers are on more like 500k, I think at that point why not just let them go to the competition? Unless you think all the other news readers the BBC employees are incompetent there would seem to be a big pool of potential replacements and no shortage of people willing to undertake that job.

Really they're paying for 'fame' not 'talent' and frankly, as a public sector broadcaster, they shouldn't need to. If someone gets a name for themselves reading the news and wants to demand big bucks for it then let them got to ITN and allow someone else to take their place.

I agree in part, huw, fiona a d george were all on the list, yet Clive who was reading the news the night of the announcment isn't on the list.
It is true that some of them have other roles at the bbc in addition to reading the news, special broadcasts, antiques roadshow etc, but if I was Clive I'd be smarting a bit.

Soldato
Something that just occurred to me on this is why is the media focus entirely on raising female salaries to match the men's why not bring the men's down to match the women's they are all getting plenty!

Probably because its illegal to make changes to your pay packet solely based on gender which is what you are asking for

Soldato
Noticed a lot of c tier news presenters on BBC breakfast, wonder if there's trouble behind the scenes.

An example to the people who think it's ok to let the better presenters leave?

When the decent ones are not there you then get to see what worse presenting looks like.

Caporegime
Radio 1 is aimed at young adult listeners.

How old is everyone here that hates Nick Grimshaw? I don't really have much of an opinion about the man as I listen to 6 Music or Radio 5.

Back
Top Bottom