Contact Lenses - Who wears them?

Soldato
Just started wearing contacts (trial period) and one eye has an astigmatism which means I need a toric lens in the left eye.

With toric lenses can you normally feel them all the time? The normal lens in my right eye is fine but the toric lens I can really feel and if I look to the left it's as if I can see the edge of the lens, is that normal?

The eye with the astigmatism is only +0.25 so nothing major but I wasn't expecting to be able to feel it constantly to an annoying level.

The trial lenses I have are Acuvue Daily if that makes a difference to any answers.

I wear these, https://www.acuvue.co.uk/1-day-acuvue-moist-astigmatism, they are the most comfortable lenses I've ever had. Great optical quality too.

Can you feel the lens on your eye or have a slight dark area to the outside of the eye with the astigmatism?

Soldato
I don't understand how you guys get them so cheap! I don't wear glasses/contacts myself but I get staff rates on Acuvue and they're ~£65 for 90 of dailies.

Edit: Done some Googling - staff get ripped off for Acuvue! haha

Soldato
I don't understand how you guys get them so cheap! I don't wear glasses/contacts myself but I get staff rates on Acuvue and they're ~£65 for 90 of dailies.

Edit: Done some Googling - staff get ripped off for Acuvue! haha

Yeh the Acuvue Astigmatism ones I find are really expensive. Are there alternatives?

Nope I wear glasses, when I get out of bed I pop them on...what could be simpler.

Great contribution.

Soldato
I'm tempted to try contacts.

Trouble is I'm a complete girl with my eyes, the thought of touching my eyes or purposely putting something in them scares the hell out of me. Anyone else like this and now happily wearing contacts?

Associate

Trouble is I'm a complete girl with my eyes, the thought of touching my eyes or purposely putting something in them scares the hell out of me. Anyone else like this and now happily wearing contacts?

After a few days of popping lenses in and out it becomes second nature. You will have no problem touching your eyes. I was the exact same at the start and have been wearing contacts for 6 years now :)

Soldato

After a few days of popping lenses in and out it becomes second nature. You will have no problem touching your eyes. I was the exact same at the start and have been wearing contacts for 6 years now :)

+1

Associate
Just started wearing contacts (trial period) and one eye has an astigmatism which means I need a toric lens in the left eye.

With toric lenses can you normally feel them all the time? The normal lens in my right eye is fine but the toric lens I can really feel and if I look to the left it's as if I can see the edge of the lens, is that normal?

The eye with the astigmatism is only +0.25 so nothing major but I wasn't expecting to be able to feel it constantly to an annoying level.

The trial lenses I have are Acuvue Daily if that makes a difference to any answers.

Can you feel the lens on your eye or have a slight dark area to the outside of the eye with the astigmatism?

I was changed to an astigmatism contact lens about 7 months ago in 1 eye. For the first month or so I could feel it as being different but now I can't feel it after the first 30 seconds. I think a big one for me was learning how to orientate the lens before sticking it in. Hope this helps.

FluffySheep

Associate
I've been wearing contacts for nearly 30 years. I've done *everything* with contacts on, sports, 4 days without sleep, you name it, I've done it. Contacts were the best thing that happen to me, if you are lifelong glasses wearer like I am, contacts will give you *for the first time ever* a full view of the world, without distortion, steaming, breaking, wetting etc etc.

I wear 30 days contacts, and I actually change them only when I feel they should -- more or less about 60 days or so. I use 'boots' generic liquid (saline) and I always keep a small plastic vial of saline with me in case I need to to any wetting of the eye (happens maybe once a year!).

Otherwise, the best trick to know when wearing contacts is... yawn. Seriously, yawning forces the tear reflex, and you get free moisturising if you need it.

Associate
i wear monthly disposables, and was with vision express for years paying for their car free scheme unti last month, when i cancelled as i was fed up of the really bad customer services.

currently looking online for best deals, currently looking at £90 for 6 months of lenses ( with all the bits)

Soldato
I've been wearing contact lenses for just over a year now, and I love them. They've really made things like VR and mountain biking so much better. I really regret waiting 4 years to try them since I find them so easy to put in and take out now.

I wear J&J Acuvue Oasys for astigmatism which I've been buying from Poland (https://www.alesoczewki.com). With shipping it still works out about half the price compared to buying them in the UK. I also order Bausch & Lomb solution for sensitive eyes at the same time, and I get Bausch & Lomb saline for sensitive eyes from Amazon UK.

Soldato
Anyone else still wearing gas permeable contacts?

My optician says he hasn't prescribed them for a new client for about ten years, but that there's no reason for me to change to something else.

Apparently gas permeable lenses work better for my astigmatism.

They're probably the cheapest option as well, a pair costs about £140 and they last about two years if I don't break one.

Associate
I get my prescription updated every other year or so at Boots, but I buy my lens at lensstore.co.uk -- I pay £30/6 months, I don't know how you guy do to need these super expensive ones!

BTW, *by experience* don't use the same place for your prescriptions -- change every time, and make sure there isn't a big discrepancy when you get a new one, and if there is, make sure to cross check and get another one done... A few years back I had a prescription done at boots, and it was significantly different than before; and for about 3 months I felt very uncomfortable -- until I realized it and had it redone -- short story is that the prescription I had was *wrong* -- the 'doctors' who do them are low grade paid workers, and they are far from foolproof.

Soldato
Holy thread revival

But yeah I wear dailies total 1 maybe once or twice a week when sporting or going out, they are slightly more expensive due to the material but definitely worth it as I found them more comfortable and they don't dry out after 6 hours.

Not bad value personally as I don't wear them everyday so two boxes of 30 can last me 3 or 4 months.

Associate
Oops I resed the necro, but I never. I swear there was a post just above mine that was from the same day. I never look at threads that have no posts older than the last time I was on the forum. Was a post deleted?

FluffySheep

Associate
I had glasses from 15-16 which I hated the look of, then contact lenses up until I was 30 or 31, then I got laser eye surgery... omg its like a miracle! I don't have perfect eagle eye vision but I love it. Now I'm 36.

As an Electrician when I wore contact lenses I always had to be so careful trying to not get anything into my eyes at work. Same when i was 17-21 when I'd fall asleep drunk at some party or from a night out, with the contact lenses in I'd wake up the next day and usually forget I had them in I just didn't sense them...
Sooooo glad I don't have to bother with any lenses any more. I highly recommend laser eye surgery to anyone and everyone who can get it done.

Back
Top Bottom