Cheap or expensive 55'' 4K TV?

Caporegime
Aha - another good reason to go cheap for now!

?

The OLED's support both formats.

[..could have added to 4k player thread - but since i mentioned dolby vision earlier]

on dolby vision do not seem to be any 'good' reviews of dv benefit on despicable me 2 - the first dv discs
a few words on forbes
and compaints that they forgot about about dv in blue-ray.com review
screen comparisons would be good
[had not realised dv is not yet on xbox one s or ks7000 afaik]

IIRC They can't screen-cap from 4K movies due to copy protection.

Caporegime
OLED should be pretty affordable with a £1200 budget within a year or two. Can you not just make do for now instead of wasting money on something sub par to what you want.

I mean we aren't far away from that already with the OLED55B6V only a few hundred pounds above your budget.

Associate
OP
Can you not just make do for now instead of wasting money on something sub par to what you want..

Thanks to a different size lounge we're squinting to see the TV! If 4k didn't exist we'd still be replacing our existing set with a 55 inch one as it really is to small for where we sit in the room

Associate
There's a great deal on a 58" lg with a va panel at the moment for £549. Not sure if I'm supposed to mention the place where you get a ticket and wait for your goods.

Soldato
I've been debating if I should drop £1700 on an OLED TV now, or spend £600 on a Hisense 50N6800 and wait a year or two for OLED

Can anyone comment on 8 bit panels that hit 10 bit colour range with FRC?

The Hisense seems to have a pretty good spec for this lower budget.

I have a five year old 1080p Plasma so any change will be good for me

Caporegime
I've been debating if I should drop £1700 on an OLED TV now, or spend £600 on a Hisense 50N6800 and wait a year or two for OLED

Can anyone comment on 8 bit panels that hit 10 bit colour range with FRC?

The Hisense seems to have a pretty good spec for this lower budget.

I have a five year old 1080p Plasma so any change will be good for me

stick with the plasma. you will hate the hisense. they aren't that good. if your going to be replacing a plasma then you need to go for a premium panel. samsung or lg IMO possibly pansonic or sony. hisense shouldn't be on your radar.

Caporegime
Only an OLED satisfies most people upgrading from a plasma, there's downsides to each technology though but I feel LCD/LED is a step down from plasma. I could probably put up with one of those new Sony XE90s or above, their ZD9 is superb if you view a lot of HDR content but the latter is more expensive than the OLED's.

I remember when plasma's were in stores and many people wouldn't rate them because they looked dim compared to the LCD's, because brightness and colour oversaturation is everything for the typical consumer :p but for things like motion and blacks they were so far ahead it wasn't even a fair comparison.

Soldato
OLED was always my original plan, but I've been getting impatient waiting for the right panel.

Reading this thread had tempted me into a stop gap so I could at least access 4K/HDR but seems like that would be a bad idea.

I'm not really in the market for anything bigger than 50" though, which limits my choices somewhat.

Caporegime
Only an OLED satisfies most people upgrading from a plasma, there's downsides to each technology though but I feel LCD/LED is a step down from plasma. I could probably put up with one of those new Sony XE90s or above, their ZD9 is superb if you view a lot of HDR content but the latter is more expensive than the OLED's.

I remember when plasma's were in stores and many people wouldn't rate them because they looked dim compared to the LCD's, because brightness and colour oversaturation is everything for the typical consumer :p but for things like motion and blacks they were so far ahead it wasn't even a fair comparison.

that is an issue as most people are sheep and they like cartoony tv's where the colours and brightness is ramped up high.

when they see a reference style picture they think it looks dark and colourless. LCD's have gotten very good but for a plasma user the only thing that will be a true upgrade is OLED

Back
Top Bottom