• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I think AMD put too much trust on people to understand its not a gaming card. Vega FE site is under "pro.radeon" but for some Godly reason everybody needs to act that its gaming cards. For some content creation its pretty sweet deal http://www.tomshardware.de/vega-ben...ngsaufnahme-gaming,testberichte-242375-6.html
If someone bought it for gaming then they have too much free money to drop 1k without understanding what the card is for. VegaRX is not going to blow the bank but it should be a lot better than FuryX and faster than VegaFE.
What I understand Furys biggest problem was its shaders are not fully utilaised when gaming. There should be optimaisation in Vegas front end and that should already make a difference. Looking clock for clock fury vs fega its clear there is no help from this or VegaFE drivers are not utilising it.

When AMD themselves put the tag gaming on the product page its not that surprising that the first thought many have had is "how is the gaming performance?". Again AMD PR is failing hard. They should have stuck to Prosumer and left any reference to "just game" out of the press.

Soldato
If it has free sync on it it means it's freesync capable. Nothing to do with AMD's approval. Where did you get that?
From what I understand Freesync 2 is the version where AMD have taken control of the use of the name and put conditions such as having a good working range and LFC on it's use, They have no control over the use of the original Freesync branding. If it turn's out I'm wrong I'd appreciate a source to read up on it and re-educate myself.

AMD posted it themselves that to use the trademarked Freesync name and logo the manufacturers had to submit their adaptive sync monitors for a free certification program - how stringent that program was was entirely in he hands of AMD - several articles/interviews made reference to this. It does sound as though AMD intends to be stricter with Freesync2 certification, but that doesnt remove the fact that AMD did in one way or another sign off on all the freesync products launched previously.

You cant slap someone elses trademark on your product without permission.

Associate
well, mostly because of these slides :

snip

ofc all this is hopefull thinking, because if Vega is barely matching a 1080 with almost double the TDP, and 50% bigger Die size, then AMD screwd up something very badly, and i don't believe AMD is that bad, because this is not lack of money, this is pure engineering, do you believe AMD's engineers are this bad ?

Fair enough if that's the case, but you haven't answered my question - "Why are they sandbagging, what are they trying to achieve?"

Associate
I don`t know if I am in the minority here, but the Vega FE cards seem to be something AMD should have never released. Even with all the "unoptimized" gaming drivers it seems odd that it`s barely 15-20% faster than a Fury X considering its specs. I`m still not convinced that the RX Vega GPU`s can deliver a substantial imrpvement over what`s been shown so far with the FE. I for one hope they are sandbagging & they will come out with something amazing. Maybe it will have more SP`s like the rumoured 6144 from last year, actual 4 stacks of HBM with 1Tb/s bandwidth. One can only dream I suppose, but in all seriousness we need a a market disruptor from them just to shake things up like thei CPU`s have done.
The FE should still have been released without the gaming fanfare. When you say you believe they are sandbagging - if they are, why?

Soldato
When AMD themselves put the tag gaming on the product page its not that surprising that the first thought many have had is "how is the gaming performance?". Again AMD PR is failing hard. They should have stuck to Prosumer and left any reference to "just game" out of the press.

Indeed. At most, they should have just said it's capable of gaming but that isn't its primary function.

Associate
I still find it surprising that AMD haven't given out the precise info concerning Vega FE yet, like exact dimensions, transistor count.

Vega FE is really Fiji on 22nm :D

HRL

HRL

Soldato
At most, they should have just said it's capable of gaming but that isn't its primary function.

Hahaha. That's pretty much exactly what AMD did say.

FE has never been marketed as a gaming card, merely as a card you could game on if you wanted to. It's more like an Nvidia Quadro P5000 than a 1080GTX.

Caporegime
Associate
But that happened because AMD did not get the message across. AMD had no RX to give to reviewers, yet after all the hype everyone was desperate for info, so websites reviewed FE, because that's all there was available. The message sent is that FE is poor for gaming, and that if the FE is poor, then so is the RX, with nothing said in their defence from AMD. AMD have made a lot of mistakes with Vega's PR, and each time they do, they've done little to nothing to deal with those mistakes.

This Vega PR disaster idea is overblown and will get automatically be dealt with for better or worse by the RX launch. If RX is great then ALL the FE whirlwind a segment of the web community has generated is obsolete and shown to be self-inflicted and meaningless storm in a teacup. If RX is a failure then no amount of Post-FE/Pre-RX PR BS would mitigate that. Sure they could have communicated better/anticipated the child like mentality of the web from the outset of the FE launch but what's done is done, no point trying to put a glitter encrusted plaster on it.

Soldato
This Vega PR disaster idea is overblown and will get automatically be dealt with for better or worse by the RX launch. If RX is great then ALL the FE whirlwind a segment of the web community has generated is obsolete and shown to be self-inflicted and meaningless storm in a teacup. If RX is a failure then no amount of Post-FE/Pre-RX PR BS would mitigate that. Sure they could have communicated better/anticipated the child like mentality of the web from the outset of the FE launch but what's done is done, no point trying to put a glitter encrusted plaster on it.

Yep, if RX Vega is great, then all will be forgiven and forgotten. But AMD make these mistakes every single time, and they can't expect to compete with the likes of Nvidia if they can't learn from their mistakes and get their messaging to work correctly. AMD are their own worst enemy when it comes to getting their message out there to their potential customers.

Associate
Yep, if RX Vega is great, then all will be forgiven and forgotten. But AMD make these mistakes every single time, and they can't expect to compete with the likes of Nvidia if they can't learn from their mistakes and get their messaging to work correctly. AMD are their own worst enemy when it comes to getting their message out there to their potential customers.
Their ability to contain any facts and specifications for Vega has been masterful but their ability to contain expectations or opinions has been horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom