Tabletop Warhammer?

Caporegime
New dread is terrible, looks like a potbellied dread. Can't figure out why you'd buy that when there are so many good dread models around.

I like the Reavers (or however they've spelt it for trademarks) not sure about the new centurions.

GW must be loving it at the moment, their biggest problem is finding new things for Space marine players to buy and now they can do a super space marine version of all their models.

Interesting that Forge World are starting a 40k character range similar to their HH one. Hope we get to see some non SM models in that as well (I'd love to see a new Phoenix Lord sculpt!)

Associate
I bought the "Know No Fear" 40k starter set. Have to say I'm very impressed (kinda regret not going for the full set now)

Painted the Lord of Contagion over a couple of nights and really enjoyed it (haven't really done much painting since the early 90's) Looking forward to getting a couple of games in :)

Permabanned
I bought the "Know No Fear" 40k starter set. Have to say I'm very impressed (kinda regret not going for the full set now)

Painted the Lord of Contagion over a couple of nights and really enjoyed it (haven't really done much painting since the early 90's) Looking forward to getting a couple of games in :)

I've been debating which kit to get, what you regret about not getting the bigger one?

Permabanned
Yeah see I don't think I need the rule book...I've already read all the fluff and know the rules. Extra models would be nice and I could just flog the rule book.

Soldato
I got the "Know No Fear" 40k starter set as well and it is good value. The mission style tutorial is v good for beginners and I like the mat and scenery are ok.
Don't like how the actual story line is progressing but it had to move on I guess.

Associate
With 8th I find that the amount of folk returning to 40k and the simplicity has really made it much more enjoyable

Was at Warhammer World in July and there were no tables free for people who didn't book them

Soldato
OK. So I am wanting to get blood bowl (not played since 89/90 Poly pitch version (3rd Iirc)) next payday so I popped into my local GW in town to have a chat and discuss what is needed and whatnot. Got to say, 25 years since I last went in there and my word!!! how much have things changed?

Anyway not here to talk about nostalgia :p but the fact I went in to discuss Blood Bowl and game out 90 mins later with my credit card feeling extremely warm in my pocket. I didn't get anything but, and it's a BIG but I will be purchasing the big £95 WH40K set instead of Blood Bowl come payday. The two gents in the shop were very friendly and helpful and knew some of the people from there from the 90s who I played with and helped out in the shop. The new WH40K rules were explained to me, a few things new here and there plus some stuff omitted from the version I played 25 years ago (my god that long ago :(). He gave me a little tester on the game already laid out. A little move and shoot between some marines and the other dirty scummy marines, can't remember the name. First impressions are, the game play seems a little quicker and more streamlined. I can see how it has been targeted towards newcomers as well as veterans. Just playing the 10 minutes it got me hooked.

The quality of the models are truly amazing. They are so detailed. Far better than years ago. He told me they now use top of the range injecting equipment and whatnot. Can't fault the models at all. I will be looking forward to painting them.

The big question is what army would I start to collect later down the line? The Tau (sp) look amazing and would love to try those but they don't seem to have many models. I could be wrong. Space MArines I have a soft spot for so initially I think i would stick to those as I would already have a few in the box set.

Exciting times ahead :)

Permabanned
Can't help you decide what race to get, but will say this. Only get one of the races that has their 8th edition codex out. I know that Imperial Guard, Eldar, Dark Eldar and Tyrnaids are all supposed to be out before the end of the year.

Man of Honour
I used to be into this in the late nineties, went in the other day and genuine wtf as some of these ridiculous mega models that are £100 a go - they were always expensive but usually £20-30 a dreadnaught IIRC.

There was some ridiculous floating god that came in this floating cube/ triangle... I mean, it was enourmous.

Always loved the world but it seems to have got way too OTT!

Permabanned
I have to say... these new death guard models are REALLY sweet but so damned expensive! Almost £9 a model....

99120102073_DeathshroudBodyguard01.jpg

Soldato
After a week of constant reading, looking, watching videos etc etc I can honestly say I am so excited on my soon to be new purchase. I joined the dakkadakka forums and they all seem a good bunch and always somebody online no matter what time of the day it is to answer questions, offer advice etc. Thye told me to NOT buy from GW but get my gear from other places. I was pointed to darksphere, gaming shop in London. Discounted GW stuff inc, BB and the new 40k Dark Imperium box. Far far cheaper than GW. both sets are £160 at GW but £120 from that store. Putting my order in tomorrow. . I will have to wait to paint them though as not sure I can afford the paints this month. I have been watching painting tutorials on YT and it really simplifies the way you paint. Looking forward to it. Yes I will put up a sort of ongoing painting/assembly thread in the coming weeks. :)

Soldato
I have to say... these new death guard models are REALLY sweet but so damned expensive! Almost £9 a model....

They are pricey even more so when you consider they are mono-pose as well, but in terms of points cost they are not cheap so you are not likely to need many, we have normal terminators coming soon.

I will be using my 30K ones though

Kimbie

Permabanned
After a week of constant reading, looking, watching videos etc etc I can honestly say I am so excited on my soon to be new purchase. I joined the dakkadakka forums and they all seem a good bunch and always somebody online no matter what time of the day it is to answer questions, offer advice etc. Thye told me to NOT buy from GW but get my gear from other places. I was pointed to darksphere, gaming shop in London. Discounted GW stuff inc, BB and the new 40k Dark Imperium box. Far far cheaper than GW. both sets are £160 at GW but £120 from that store. Putting my order in tomorrow. . I will have to wait to paint them though as not sure I can afford the paints this month. I have been watching painting tutorials on YT and it really simplifies the way you paint. Looking forward to it. Yes I will put up a sort of ongoing painting/assembly thread in the coming weeks. :)

It's worth looking on the DakkaDakka forum for 2nd hand stuff, I'd only recommend un-assembled stuff IMO. I've managed to get a 1,500 point blood angels army all still in their boxes for around £80.

For paints, I highly recomend getting Vallejo Game Colour, cheaper than GW and come in dropper bottles. Brushes, get some series 401 from rosemary and co. Again cheaper but also better.

Soldato
Well I popped into Gw the other day with the wife and decided to just to get the starter paint set and an extra brush. Also I got the First Strike box. Some marines and some Death Guard to boot. A little standalone game that will hopefully get my wife playing eventually. I know it's not a 2 or 3 times a week game but buying and painting our armies is the fun part. Gradually learning the game and playing larger battles is the aim.

So the reason I got what I got was to try out painting again. Not painted for 20+ years. So yesterday I put together the Marines (not glued them though as I would like to makes sure I paint the bits that are partially covered once assembled) and I started on captain model. I followed the warhammer Tv tutorials and so far it's not looking that bad. I Can't give it 100% concentration as I have a 2.5 year old running around being a 2.5 year old lol. I originally started to paint it as an Ultra MArine but i think I will divert from that. I have 5 other marines to paint so I might juts make up some random colour combinations and see what I like. All being well I should finish the captain today. If I do I will put up a picture .

Back
Top Bottom