Aorus Owner's Lounge

Associate
I'm loving my X5 MD so far. Happy to answer any questions from prospective owners.

So far the only thing that's really bugging me is the trackpad, which, coming from the Mac world, is a lot worse than I'm used to. The gesture config options are a bit frustrating - I was hoping to be able to set up something like the three-fingered-swipe-to-change-Spaces feature I'm used to (with other software as necessary to get Spaces-like virtual desktops). But I'll get used to it.

I'm about to do a clean reinstall of Win 10 Pro as I need some of its features, and I'll also be fitting the new 960 Pro NVMe SSD and 850 Evo SATA SSDs I bought at this time, so I'll be reinstalling all drivers etc manually, which will probably be fun.

Question for Aorus though: I can't figure out how I'll be able to reinstall the pantone-certified colour profile after a reinstall. I can see that it can be turned on and off by a setting in Command&Control so I'm guessing it's applying a windows colour profile but I don't know where that file lives, and I couldn't see it in the driver downloads. How can I backup / reinstall / redownload this?

Associate
I think this profile is in the file GGG_AUO23EB.icc which I've backed up. Certainly I can't see any difference between that and whatever clicking the Pantone button in C&C does.

Associate
The touch pad software is complete junk you gotta use regedit to edit commands and enable lots of hidden gestures/commands.

So for example i use 4 finger swipe down to show desktop and 4 finger swipe up to change windows etc.

Gigabyte / Aorus / Elan really should fix the software.

Also on a clean install just run the driver updater software and you can download all the needed drivers/software.

Associate
I'm loving my X5 MD so far. Happy to answer any questions from prospective owners.

So far the only thing that's really bugging me is the trackpad, which, coming from the Mac world, is a lot worse than I'm used to. The gesture config options are a bit frustrating - I was hoping to be able to set up something like the three-fingered-swipe-to-change-Spaces feature I'm used to (with other software as necessary to get Spaces-like virtual desktops). But I'll get used to it.

I'm about to do a clean reinstall of Win 10 Pro as I need some of its features, and I'll also be fitting the new 960 Pro NVMe SSD and 850 Evo SATA SSDs I bought at this time, so I'll be reinstalling all drivers etc manually, which will probably be fun.

Question for Aorus though: I can't figure out how I'll be able to reinstall the pantone-certified colour profile after a reinstall. I can see that it can be turned on and off by a setting in Command&Control so I'm guessing it's applying a windows colour profile but I don't know where that file lives, and I couldn't see it in the driver downloads. How can I backup / reinstall / redownload this?
Hey can you do a fire strike 1.1 test ? How is the laptop noise under load? temps? battery ? screen ? Thanks

Associate

Please run Firestrike and let me know what you get. I'm particularly interested in the graphics score only. I'm getting 16800, fully overclocked which is worse than the 1070! The x5 v6 is faster than this machine... Hopefully I'm missing something otherwise MaxQ is pointless.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Well, couldnt help myself order has been placed.

Will be my first Aorus laptop, hoping I wont be disappointed. Had to send an MSI laptop back not too long ago due to extreme thermal throttling, dont let me down Atom I know where you live. (by that I mean I know you frequent these forums and i will let you know in a respectful and politely worded message of my unhappiness)

:D Appreciate the follow up, they can thank you for how quickly I clicked 'Add to basket'

Hi bigkizen,

Great to see you have Teamed Up with us,,,, we now wait with excited and slightly nervous anticipation to read if you are a happy owner......

Regards,

Atom80

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep

Hi matzie,

Regarding Pantone....

Please follow the below guide to re-install.

VXAlyKn.png

Hope that helps, please let us know if successful or if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Team AORUS

Associate
Re Firestrike... I did run it last night and was rather shocked and disappointed to find something like 13800 overall (can't remember the graphics-only score) although it warned that gsync and an unrecognised driver might be to blame. (This was just the free 3dmark download, pretty much the first thing I installed, no changes to drivers or config anywhere). Something must have been very wrong for it to come in so low (was overclocked fully in C&C gauge). To be fair gaming is secondary for my needs but I do expect the 'few percent better than 1070' performance that's been mentioned in this forum from Aorus.

It's literally years since I've done any benchmarks or really cared about the performance of a PC as I'm a refugee from the Mac world, so there could be something I was doing wrong - although 3dmark was pretty much the first thing I installed. I've since reinstalled my OS and most drivers, a few more to complete tonight and then I'll do some more tests.

Subjectively fan noise was always noticeable, not intrusive and even when fire strike was running, not excessive. No real data on battery yet.

Also this video includes a graph of fire strike results for a few different Max Q laptops including X5 MD at 1 min 51 seconds in, which he clocks at 18222:https://youtu.be/EIc6v4C0_-w?t=111

Associate
Hi Ruadhan & OCdude,

Hopefully indeed folks......

As of yesterday we believe stock should be heading to the UK this week, so we should see some product on the shelf by middle of next week.

Keep the Faith!

Regards,

Team AORUS

Cool, thanks Atom80. My preorder is in so will hopefully get one of them!

Thanks,

Ruadhán

Associate
Hi Ruadhan & OCdude,

Hopefully indeed folks......

As of yesterday we believe stock should be heading to the UK this week, so we should see some product on the shelf by middle of next week.

Keep the Faith!

Regards,

Team AORUS
Is the stock including the X7 V7 DT the 4K one ?

Associate
Hello everyone, I'm a complete newbie here and this is my very first post on this forum. I've been keeping track of the threads for a while though - reading many posts about the experiences/thoughts/opinions of aorus notebook product line.

I am a recent owner of the Aorus X5 V7-CF1 and love the machine aside from one little issue. After pro-longed use (about 2hrs minimum) of playing a game, I notice the 'J' key becoming waaaaaaaay too sensitive. By this I mean the lightest of touches (simply skin contact) will result in an input of the letter 'J'. It's actually like the button becomes a touch screen because of the sensitivity. Which can be quite bothersome when typing and the problem persists for a fair amount of time after I have stopped doing any strenuous tasks until the temperature drops to a normal idle state.

My conclusion is that the thermals are either causing a component to warp to such a degree where the sensor is activated beneath the 'J' key or that the sensor itself is directly affected by the thermals. This becomes problematic as it is easy to touch the key when pressing the 'H' key or another nearby key, should I so happen to graze the 'J' key with my fingers as I am typing.

Can anyone else confirm if they have experienced malfunctioning sensors on their keyboard when temperatures are elevated?

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hello everyone, I'm a complete newbie here and this is my very first post on this forum. I've been keeping track of the threads for a while though - reading many posts about the experiences/thoughts/opinions of aorus notebook product line.

I am a recent owner of the Aorus X5 V7-CF1 and love the machine aside from one little issue. After pro-longed use (about 2hrs minimum) of playing a game, I notice the 'J' key becoming waaaaaaaay too sensitive. By this I mean the lightest of touches (simply skin contact) will result in an input of the letter 'J'. It's actually like the button becomes a touch screen because of the sensitivity. Which can be quite bothersome when typing and the problem persists for a fair amount of time after I have stopped doing any strenuous tasks until the temperature drops to a normal idle state.

My conclusion is that the thermals are either causing a component to warp to such a degree where the sensor is activated beneath the 'J' key or that the sensor itself is directly affected by the thermals. This becomes problematic as it is easy to touch the key when pressing the 'H' key or another nearby key, should I so happen to graze the 'J' key with my fingers as I am typing.

Can anyone else confirm if they have experienced malfunctioning sensors on their keyboard when temperatures are elevated?

Hi RobinRedford,

Everyone's typing style is different, our advise is stop "grazing the J key" !

But on a serious note, we have forwarded your feedback to HQ to see if they can advise, we are confident that the response will be that they wont have seen this problem elsewhere and potentially it is faulty unit. If this is the case then we will have two options: a) to send into service centre to change the keyboard unit / repair. b) to exchange the unit if you feel the problem is not "acceptable" and warrants a replacement.

We will see what comes back from HQ overnight and post again once received.

We are waiting on more stock to arrive in UK, so wouldn't be able to perform exchange through OCUK immediately.

Regards,

Team AORUS

Associate
Yes I mean the manufacturer of the screen, and if you could get the SRGB/ARGB percentage, would be cool! Also you confirme it's Q4, because my reseller told me it's Q3 between august-september; Thanks

Associate
Hi RobinRedford,

Everyone's typing style is different, our advise is stop "grazing the J key" !

We will see what comes back from HQ overnight and post again once received.

We are waiting on more stock to arrive in UK, so wouldn't be able to perform exchange through OCUK immediately.

Regards,

Team AORUS

Hi Atom, thanks for the fast response! You've always had great communication on this forum so I appreciate your response.

I should also mention that, after extensive testing, even vibrations can end up resulting in the 'J' key being incorrectly detected as an input. So I could be typing and then either press the 'spacebar' or 'return/enter' key and then a 'j' is displayed followed by the actual desired input.

I found that the frequency and sensitivity of the 'J' key is 100% corresponding to the temperature of the notebook after a moderate gaming session (2 - 3hrs in Ghost Recon Wildlands or Battlegrounds: PlayerUnknown).
It appears that the hotter the GPU then the more sensitive it becomes to incorrectly detecting input as though I am pressing the 'j' key when I am, in fact, not.

Interestingly, I was repeatedly pressing the 'J' key during one test and stopped and pressed the 'return/enter' key a bunch of times and, after the cursor jumped down a few lines, I waited and then a bunch of 'j's began to appear sporadically despite no other input was being entered at all from myself. Which made me suspect that the sensors had became SO sensitive that it was mistakenly interpreting input from the fan vibrations. Fans were not at 100%. I believe they were at around 75% at this point.

I've applied for a RMA and refund from overclockersUK but will be looking to make another purchase of an Aorus notebook from the x5/x7 v7 line. I was delighted with the notebook aside from this one issue.

It's a premium notebook and I understand quality control can't detect every little error so I look forward to making another purchase once I receive my refund/more stock is available.

Any news on the x5 v7-CP2 or CP3 stock yet in the UK? Has there ever been any stock received by OCUK of those models?

All the Best,

Robin

Back
Top Bottom