Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
Explanation from D&D on the "That's not you" line from Arya to Nymeria:

That is how I read it but I think it is also self reflection on the emotions she briefly feels as well - I'm not sure if she is saying it to convince herself or if more ominously its something that has gone or is going.

Man of Honour
I think your right but they do like a good tease . I mean where on earth is gendry who iirc is as much an heir to the throne as anyone else ?

I'm sure Gendry will turn up in the nick of time, I mean they have all this dragonglass...if only they had some sort of, I dont know, blacksmith kind of person who could forge weapons out of it. Wait ! Who is this rowing along.....why its Gendry ! A blacksmith ! Gods of convenience be praised !! :D

Caporegime
I mean where on earth is gendry who iirc is as much an heir to the throne as anyone else ?

he's behind the Targaryans: Danny and Jon (well technically we don't know for sure but pretty much confirmed)

also - speculation I've read but didn't come up with myself (so put in spoiler tags):

there is some speculation that the Mad King was Tyrion's father, bedding his mother on the night of her wedding to Tywin

Soldato
^
I don't see how that works. Tywin had already been married to her for a while before Tyrion came along, since Jamie & Cersei are the elder siblings.
Maybe it happened, but not on the wedding night

Soldato
he's behind the Targaryans: Danny and Jon (well technically we don't know for sure but pretty much confirmed)

also - speculation I've read but didn't come up with myself (so put in spoiler tags):

there is some speculation that the Mad King was Tyrion's father, bedding his mother on the night of her wedding to Tywin

^
I don't see how that works. Tywin had already been married to her for a while before Tyrion came along, since Jamie & Cersei are the elder siblings.

Tywin had said about Tyrion's mother being a "whore" IIRC
The dragons didn't harm Tyrion at all when he went to see them in the cave, they were pretty docile
Tyrion's mum died giving birth to him (as did both Jon's and Danny's)
There are 3 dragons

Seems highly likely to me that Tyrion is also a Targaryen.

Last edited:
Caporegime
^

you're right re: wedding night, I got a bit muddled there - apparently part of the evidence for this idea is that the Mad King was seen getting a bit too friendly with her during the bedding ceremony and had commented that it was a pity the first night tradition was banned

so the wedding night is more just evidence of his interest in her, it was later he possibly slept with her

Permabanned
A lot of complaints about last nights episode, some of which I totally get, others just seem a bit meh.

The fact there seems to be zero travel time between episodes. This I understand. Artistic licensing can only be spread so thin... Euron and the Iron Fleet being able to travel such massive distances is the specific example most people seem to be pointing too, but characters appearing at there destinations seemingly in an instant is a problem the shows had for a while. That travel time is so important for building suspense in the books and has been used to great effect in previous seasons.

Sansa's outbursts. Again, I agree. So ridiculously out of character, even if you take into account how her character has developed over the last few seasons, it seems stupid. She finally reunites with one of her family members after spending years forcibly separated from them and one of the first things she decides to do is directly undermine them. Eughhhh.

Dany's character in general being boring, badly written with no clear arc. I disagree here. I think this is simply fans own ideologies getting in the way of relatively clear character development. For quite a while now we've being seeing her character morph into something infinitely more sturn and less diplomatic. She's turning. Not necessarily into a villain, but certainly into a less sympathetic hero character. This has been coming for a while now and it's often confused me as to why fans think she's such a paragon of decency. She's displaced entire systems of government that have ruled for thousands of years (rightly or wrongly) in often cruel and unjust ways (when compared with the ideologies she used to hold). She's raised a foreign army of savages and slaves to invade a country to which her only claim is that it's her 'birthright'. Not to mention she has the medieval equivalent of 3 atomic bombs at her side... The people that have a problem with this incredibly solid character development seem to be the ones who idealised her as some beacon of peace and democracy when in fact they've just been looking over all the terrible things she's been doing since she was given power. It's only now that she's openly displaying these traits against people we like (Varys and Jon) that we have a problem with it.

Soldato
Well 8 episodes this series and 7 next, I guess we'll have a battle every couple of weeks, or every week for a while, as a great many things remain to be resolved.
Thus far we've see the unsullied perform poorly in almost every task they are sent to do.
I'll be somewhat upset if they remain crap in next week battle to take the rock.

Travel time is an issue, but they can't exactly now in the next to final season, start a '3 weeks later' at each cut screen.

Permabanned
SNIP

Travel time is an issue, but they can't exactly now in the next to final season, start a '3 weeks later' at each cut screen.

Sigh, I know. It just feels like it could have done with a little longer in the over. Perhaps an additional 10 episode season to flesh a few things out and leave a few details to stagnate for a while.

Caporegime
I don't really see travel time as an issue, I mean I can see why people watching the series might want to imagine that the one week gap in between episodes somehow represents some period of time and we get to see another snapshot of the stories within each episode (therefore they might want to see an arbitrary gap of a few episodes before continuing some story where someone has had to travel somewhere) but then again we have some episodes continuing from exactly where we left off a story in the preceding episode and we also have other story lines progressing a few days...

fact is these seasons have had to cover several years so a jump between episodes of a few weeks if fine IMO

Soldato
What's annoyed me so far is that no word of Bran getting to The Wall has been sent to Jon. I figured they'd send a raven ASAP but Jon got one from Tyrion first and is now ******* off out of Winterfell. *shrugs*

Permabanned
What's annoyed me so far is that no word of Bran getting to The Wall has been sent to Jon. I figured they'd send a raven ASAP but Jon got one from Tyrion first and is now ******* off out of Winterfell. *shrugs*

Indeed. It's those little inconsistencies' that make it an issue, not the fact distance doesn't appear to be an issue.

Soldato
Aye we are to assume two fleets, separated in time and space. One going empty to Dorne, just happening to carry all the Dornish leaders, including that loved sandsnake who was hung by her own whip at the end. Ring the bell. Shame shame shame.

Dragonstone to Kings Landing by boat is a journey all the way round Westeros. Including passing the Sea of Dorne.
It would be much more time efficient to March across land, but either way it would be hard to miss the army.

I'm also not sure how Euron's massive fleet got out of Blackwater Bay and ambushed the others as they have to pass Dragonstone.

Sure there is quite a bit of distance but if Dragonstone is supposed to be the entrance to Blackwater Bay you'd think someone would see the fleet!

Associate
Dragonstone to Kings Landing by boat is a journey all the way round Westeros. Including passing the Sea of Dorne.
It would be much more time efficient to March across land, but either way it would be hard to miss the army.

I'm also not sure how Euron's massive fleet got out of Blackwater Bay and ambushed the others as they have to pass Dragonstone.

Sure there is quite a bit of distance but if Dragonstone is supposed to be the entrance to Blackwater Bay you'd think someone would see the fleet!

Guess you mean Casterly Rock ;)

I just take it that Euron has bigger, faster, meaner ships than Dany. Sure shes got some Ironborn ships but most will be wheedly Dornish ships. That and Euron smashed them in the dead of night in a fog - something they'd have thought would be near impossible. Also the distances are still quite large so plenty of room to hit the weaker, smaller of the two fleets (assuming the larger fleet ferrying unsullied and dothraki would be too much even for the Ironborn, although it would cripple Dany as the losses would be huge).

Back
Top Bottom