Cat5e vs Cat6 - what do I need in the real world?

MrM

MrM

Associate
Following on from a previous thread about my proposed network install I am getting a step closer. I have been reading around about the pro's and con's of cat5e/6/6a but I have to admit, Im still in the dark over what is the best real world solution for me.

In brief I plan to run 2 circuits around my house, one to broadcast TV from a dedicated HDMI matrix, and a second to provide network and internet connectivity.

I dont have the luxury of laying cables where I want, and will need to route via whatever access channels I have. As such I cannot guarantee they will not run close to mains for a short(er) distance (as possible). I spoke to HDAnywhere who advised to install the highest quality cable I can for the HDMI/TV circuit, with the main argument being more expensive cabling tends to come with better shielding and for TV purposes cat cable is very sensitive to electric interference. The gentleman I spoke to also claim that for data it really didnt matter, as I was unlikely to max the capacity of 5e on a home install (I agree) and that 5e was generally easier to work with.

In stark contrast, cable suppliers who I sough guidance from said i should ignore 5e and go for 6 for everything, and to ignore 6a as it will need an engineer to confirm it conforms to a certain spec. If I was using 5e Id likely attempt to do the terminations myself, 6 or 6a and Id seek professional fitting.

Can anyone put me straight on what cable I need to be looking at for each application? The home network circuit will likely supply a couple of ethernet sockets to each room (for Sonos, Sky box where present, Amazon fire etc), as well as provide PoE for IPCams and WAP's.

Associate
Cat6 probably has more shielding than cat5e standards wise; you can get shielded cable too

Just go with whatever you "dedicated HDMI matrix" says distance wise?

Soldato
I run baluns via a matrix as you plan to, they are the older type making use of two 5e feeds, the route is not direct (the source is physically as far away as possible on the opposite side of a 4 bed house and I go via the roof), the key to this is cable quality and shielding, I got some CCA 5e free, it's crap, but at the time I was only making the odd short patch lead. When the baluns arrived I tested with it, no good, so I snagged a half role of copper core 5e and it's been perfect.

My advice is if you go 5e then make sure it's decent cable, in the real world 6 or above'a only advantage at this stage is it can support faster standards over longer distances, thing is in a domestic install its rare you'll run very long feeds unless you have a mansion, in which case get the the butler to sort that. 6 isn't quite as easy to work with as 5e, but it's not that hard, just ensure you use a decent cable tester to confirm, the fluke clones aren't actually that bad and are relatively inexpensive.

Back
Top Bottom