Post Your Garden!

Associate
I posted my Garden a couple of months ago just after construction was finished and planting done - amazing how much it can grow with a bit of sun and water.

Garden7_zps87mjlivt.jpg

Garden1_zpsbdcxhsnb.jpg

Garden3_zps6dbfkyzr.jpg

Soldato
Bought our place in October 2015, in need of FULL renovation. Have been busy stripping it back to the stonework and rebuilding it. I have yet to make any serious attack on the garden, but it holds so much potential!
Covers about 1/2 acre with a a load of birch trees, a meadow area, a well, and it sits within and backs on to the largest area of ancient Caledonian Pine forest; Abernethy.

This is the back garden, looking out across the forest. Will keep much of this grass, but will improve the seating area. Currently a concrete area where an old shed stood is used for the seating and BBQ. I plan to extend it, and put down paving stones. The small shed is the old school (Our house is an old Schoolhouse) that works nicely as the garden tool shed.

The courtyard needs a lot of work. I had to dig it all up to put in new water mains, drainage etc. The plan is to eventually put down cobbles, and make a woodshed at the end.

The view from our front garden. Not too shabby, I recon!

Unfortunately I don't have any photos at the moment of the main areas to be worked on; the meadow which I intend to turn in to an orchard/Food forest, and the area between the side of the house and the meadow. This section was massively overgrown with Snowberry and Spyrea. I have been slowly attacking these and removing the roots etc. Once it's all cleared it will be planted with native broadleaf trees consisting mostly of aspen and hazel. It's all a part of my 30 year plan for the house/garden ;)

Associate
Planted up most of the planters. They're all on raised feet to allow air to get underneath. I still need to source some aquatic compost for the equisetum on the left. The ferns should get quite a bit bigger.

Last edited:
Associate
Nearly finished with our garden now, turf went down yesterday.

Here's how it started

early-garden.png

And here's its current state.

IMG_20170724_155552.jpg

Cleared out close to 16 tonnes of concrete,rock,mud and junk to get to this. Bottom third of the garden was poured concrete that was up to 8" thick in places. Fences replaced and still to be painted. Rotten shed replaced, planters built from blocks/sleepers.

Just have the few sleepers to cut to finish a small patio/BBQ area and need to get some more plants in and finish the painting. Getting close finally!

Associate
Picked up an electric chainsaw for £25 of gumtree, it's definitely served it's purpose although at present the chain has come off. Never used a chainsaw before but got the hang of it fairly quickly. Put in a few solid hours this weekend, just myself and one mate helping me out. Here are the before and after shots:

Before:
2dkcytl.jpg

After:
dm8tbl.jpg

Another pic from the far corner of the garden:
2q0t8px.jpg

Next job will be to shift the huge pile of wood/branches/leaves. Any ideas? Skip? Man with a van? Burn it? These are some of the things that have been suggested to me.

Are you thinking of putting up a retaining wall instead? there seems to be a lot of soil there, That could run down towards the house given a decent amount of rain fall?

Back
Top Bottom