***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Associate
I picked up an X34A to go with my existing X34, I currently have a super cheap mount for my X34 from the rainforest I paid about £15 for.

I could do with a decent mount for both now, any recommendations?

Associate
Does anyone have the Predator Z301C? If so how do you find it and do you have any regrets on not going for something larger like the x34a?

Personally I think I'd find a 34" like the x34a too big from my normal seating position (desk is c. 26" deep) and I would end up having to move my head around to see things going on at the side when gaming. At 30" I think this would be less of a problem with the Z301C. I'm coming from a 60hz 24" Dell IPS, so I'm sure I'd feel a big difference on just the refresh rate alone. Main use will be for gaming rather than productivity so I'm not that worried about the 'loss' of extra screen real estate from the x34a and think that the resolution / pixel density should still be OK at 2560x 1080 on a 30" monitor.

Just looking for any thoughts from existing owners as there doesn't seem to be much info out there on this monitor already.

Associate
Having a nightmare Amazon logistics tried to deliver to my work address at half 6 yesterday and now don't know if they're even re-attempting today :(

Associate
Does anyone have the Predator Z301C? If so how do you find it and do you have any regrets on not going for something larger like the x34a?

Personally I think I'd find a 34" like the x34a too big from my normal seating position (desk is c. 26" deep) and I would end up having to move my head around to see things going on at the side when gaming. At 30" I think this would be less of a problem with the Z301C. I'm coming from a 60hz 24" Dell IPS, so I'm sure I'd feel a big difference on just the refresh rate alone. Main use will be for gaming rather than productivity so I'm not that worried about the 'loss' of extra screen real estate from the x34a and think that the resolution / pixel density should still be OK at 2560x 1080 on a 30" monitor.

Just looking for any thoughts from existing owners as there doesn't seem to be much info out there on this monitor already.

I have a X34a and its right in my face... Honestly I could even go bigger, you soon get used to it mate. If you have a choice of one over the other it has to be the X34a. Id imagine if you bought the 1080p 30", you would be happy with it.... but if you ever stumble across an X34a in the near future you will be devastated at the poor choice.

Think of the immersion factor. UW gives you a great feel to gaming.

If I wasn't brought up to not speak to strangers I would let you come view mine as I am only down the a180 ! :D

Associate
I have a X34a and its right in my face... Honestly I could even go bigger, you soon get used to it mate. If you have a choice of one over the other it has to be the X34a. Id imagine if you bought the 1080p 30", you would be happy with it.... but if you ever stumble across an X34a in the near future you will be devastated at the poor choice.

Think of the immersion factor. UW gives you a great feel to gaming.

If I wasn't brought up to not speak to strangers I would let you come view mine as I am only down the a180 ! :D

LOL...small world!

In the end my wallet made the decision for me. I managed to get a great deal and picked up a new Z301C for £490. It was delivered earlier today and first impressions are excellent. It's my first time using both an ultrawide and a high refesh rate monitor and I'm blown away by the difference from my old 24" 60hz. Really happy with this monitor and so far haven't noticed any of the problems with smearing etc. that are mentioned in a couple of the reviews I have seen.

Associate
Never considered one of these seriously before.. but at work I was given an LG 34UC98-W to use. I'm coding in IntelliJ and it's absolutely great for the job.. multiple panes open and enough vertical room for the console too. You don't really notice the curve, either, it just encapsulates you.

Unfortunately. I have just had to move desk and am temporarily using a standard mac screen which is horrific.

I still game at home with a 32" 4k 16:9 but next upgrade I may very well be tempted...

Associate
LOL...small world!

In the end my wallet made the decision for me. I managed to get a great deal and picked up a new Z301C for £490. It was delivered earlier today and first impressions are excellent. It's my first time using both an ultrawide and a high refesh rate monitor and I'm blown away by the difference from my old 24" 60hz. Really happy with this monitor and so far haven't noticed any of the problems with smearing etc. that are mentioned in a couple of the reviews I have seen.

Nice! Enjoy the new purchase man!

Associate
who knows which ultra wide monitor fully works with consoles, ps4 and xbox one, i want a wide screen but i need it to work with both my consoles.....

Fairly certain the X1 works with my X34a. Obviously the games will still display in 16:9 but menus and movies should scale correctly.

I can check later for you.

Soldato
Have had the LG 38UC99 for a few months at home and loving it. Plays well with both my laptops and gives a single cable solution including PD to my MBP.

Just ordered a Dell U3818DW for work so excited it can deliver more power to my MBP and also act as a KVM. Should be hear tomorrow.

Associate
My monitor which was supposed to be with me last week still hasn't arrived and I've been advised that the courier have lost the parcel in the depot. How do you lose a 34" UW monitor box? I'm thinking more along the lines of stolen :( I think I'm going to give it until Friday and then go for a refund, sad because it was a good deal.....oh well!

Associate
Fairly certain the X1 works with my X34a. Obviously the games will still display in 16:9 but menus and movies should scale correctly.

ahh mate that will be great

so you can play xbox one games in 16.9 but with black bars? so thats like standard scaling size on normal tv

can you also check with your ps4 please?

i have a 27 inch 1440p at the mo with a 32 inch TV and my desk is cluttered with the tv, hence why I want to go super wide screen and use the HDMI port on the wide screen to play my console games

my current monitor only has 1 lousy display port so I need the tv, I just want a one screen set up that works with my PC and console, the bigger the screen the better, but GYSNC is a must with a refresh rate

ps i know high refresh wont work with console but is there any other issues playing console on your super wide screen?

Associate
ahh mate that will be great

so you can play xbox one games in 16.9 but with black bars? so thats like standard scaling size on normal tv

can you also check with your ps4 please?

i have a 27 inch 1440p at the mo with a 32 inch TV and my desk is cluttered with the tv, hence why I want to go super wide screen and use the HDMI port on the wide screen to play my console games

my current monitor only has 1 lousy display port so I need the tv, I just want a one screen set up that works with my PC and console, the bigger the screen the better, but GYSNC is a must with a refresh rate

ps i know high refresh wont work with console but is there any other issues playing console on your super wide screen?

Sorry man, forgot I had cabled in the xbox in a manner that I can only describe as permanent. Its in another room wired in with the main TV for the kids so its pretty difficult to remove for the test. I have checked and found this for you though : https://youtu.be/lGd_erpWitw?t=1m18s

hope that helps :)

edit: also found this comment on the predator forums :

Re: x34 and Consoles via HDMI - any known issues?
I have to update my post. I have now successfully connected my Xbox One to the X34 without issue. I fixed my issue by connecting the console to another TV where I then could turn off HDMI audio on the system. Upon connecting it back on to my Predator X34 the system showed out without issue. I believe having the audio setting on 7.1 when I connected it to the X34 may have been the culprit. But I am not 100% sure.

Xbox One run at 60Hz and looks great. There are bars on the side but I got used to it quick. Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom