Petrol or Diesel

Soldato
Hi all - soon ill be changing jobs and will predominantly be driving in and around south London.

My car will be an extension of my home office and as such, I am determined to have something with a bit of luxury.

The biggest question i have is related to engines - I am pretty sure i don't want a diesel - petrol power for me. I cant help but feel that diesel + London = a mayoral beating.

Thoughts?

cheers

Last edited:
Man of Honour
about 350 a month. I just dont think a diesel in central london over the next few years is going to be popular with our mayor......

He has already published his intentions and an explanation of how it works. Have a read - London has spelled out quite clearly what it is going to do.

Soldato
OP
A diesel probably isn't the right car anyway for mostly urban use.
thats what im thinking - im considering a nice Golf - maybe the new 1.5 TSI EVo 150bhp with as many necessary luxuries as i can spec - like nav, heated seats, rain sensitive lights/wipers, cruise, leccy windows all around..... stuff like that

Soldato
are you paying fuel yourself (if it's driving on work time)? if so are you going to be doing enough long trips for a diesel mpg advantage to outweigh the extra costs for taxes, congestion etc.

if the answer to either of those questions is no, then get a petrol.

Man of Honour
I wonder how close you can get to a new 520i M Sport (if Diesel isn't being considered)... no matter what options it has, a Golf will never feel all that luxurious.

Soldato
OP
I wonder how close you can get to a new 520i M Sport (if Diesel isn't being considered)... no matter what options it has, a Golf will never feel all that luxurious.

that would be great but i cant for the life of me find one that has realistic milleage limits - which to me means 10k plus

Soldato
Last edited:
Caporegime
Am guessing it going be a very long long long time before most 18 wheel trucks change from diesel fuel
Is there also plans to ban or charge 18 wheel diesel trucks in London ?

Done a google search which came up with sites like this which ready doesn't say much
http://www.itv.com/news/london/2017...abandon-cars-and-take-up-walking-and-cycling/
Given the number of artic's needed in London each and every day to feed the commerce of the city, it won't happen for a good while yet.

Soldato
For mostly urban use, a petrol hybrid is probably the way forward now. Good MPG at low speeds and although it's dead weight over 30mph, you at least won't have range issues like an EV.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom