What is this spider? False widow?

Man of Honour
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/10-common-spiders-found-around-4200933

anyone seen a giant house spider ? think i seen one before but not as big as 120mm :eek:

I've seen a couple, but not that big. Not very far off though, assuming you include legs in the measurement. Not that I measured them. I don't get that close. They're startlingly big for spiders in this country. They're also not really very fast, but they certainly look like it because they're small (for animals in general, not for spiders).

They're dangerous to small things. I had one living in my kitchen for a while. It was the only spider there. I assume it ate the others.

I currently have a couple of dozen tiny spiders scurrying around my kitchen and bathroom. I'm forever gathering them up and moving them so I can shower, use the kettle, etc. I'm assuming they're baby spiders and hope some of them will grow up to be the next generation of fly-eaters in my house. I'm not fond of spiders, but I like them a lot more than flies so spiders are welcome.

Last edited:
Associate
Fitting place to add my latest spider tale ...

Driving to work yesterday morning (dark and raining - its winter) and felt something by my shirt collar, went to scratch it and then the 'itch' crawled up my neck and onto my cheek ....

Grabbed it with my left hand and flung it into the passenger footwell and somehow didnt crash!

The worst part is that I cant find it now :(

Caporegime

Driving to work yesterday morning (dark and raining - its winter) and felt something by my shirt collar, went to scratch it and then the 'itch' crawled up my neck and onto my cheek ....

Grabbed it with my left hand and flung it into the passenger footwell and somehow didnt crash!

A grudge spider most likely.
Of course you can't find it. If you were plotting revenge you wouldn't want to be seen!

Soldato

You pansy!

*Looks at location*

On second thoughts, go torch your car!

Permabanned
Definitely a False Widow. I work in a Portacabin and last year we had an infestation of the damn things. 2 women got bit and whilst it was nothing massively serious, one of the bites got infected and it was horrible to look at. Just a massive rash with what looked like a small bullet wound in the centre. Chucked us out for 2 days whilst they gassed the place.

Back
Top Bottom