Home network Upgrade

Soldato
As above it's easy enough to get rid of the Sky hub, Sky use mac encapsulation, it's not full MER and several routers can support this (Asus, TPLink, Linksys etc.).

Associate
OP
I am going to have a go at installing pfsense now in preparation for my AP arriving tomorrow.

Would that be my best option over the edgerouter x?

I’ve just seen that it’s only around £60 so seems a good price to move all my networking to the same eco system

Associate
OP
I have two LRs, each in a separate loft. One covers about 200sqm of house, half on the same floor as the loft (It's above a single storey extension so much of the coverage required is on the same upstarirs floor) and half the floor below it. Lowest signal, but still perfectly usable, is 20m away on the same floor through four walls. The other AP-LR covers 100sqm of the floor below it and well out into the garden to a distance of about 40m, but it's only got a set of roof tiles to go through to get out there.

Given you're putting a PoE switch up there (check it is compatible with the UAPs or else you'll need to inject some power somewhere along the line) then it's fairly low risk to get one and put it up there when doing the work and see how you go.

I'd sell the Apple routers (unless you're using them for airplay or something unique to them) and get the Sky Q back on routing duties. Soon enough if you get on with the Ubiquiti kit then you'll be lusting after an Edgerouter or USG to replace it.

Already lusting :)

Thinking of ordering the edgerouter X, can’t find a USG in stock. This seems like the best option over pfsense for a home network.

I’m also reading I need a UniFi key, does this just replace running the software on another machine?

Man of Honour
I think pfsense is better personally, after using both back to back. But you need the right hardware. There's no denying the ubiquiti gear is cheap.

Soldato
Already lusting :)

Thinking of ordering the edgerouter X, can’t find a USG in stock. This seems like the best option over pfsense for a home network.

I’m also reading I need a UniFi key, does this just replace running the software on another machine?

1. 4Gon and Broadbandbuyer have the USG instock, if you have OCD i would recommend getting it as half the dials in the controller software won't work else, though you can hide the none working dials in the latest Controller software.
2. Yes the cloud key a dedicated little computer to a run the controller software on it's kind of like a Raspberry Pi but tailored to one purpose.
3. The ER-X is a powerful little Router/Switch for the money, a pfsense box is always going to be more flexible and powerful but do you need all those extra features 99% of people do not.

Technically the USG and ER-X are not part of the same ecosystem as they use different software, the USG is part of the Unifi line and the ER-X is part of the Edge line and has the traditional web interface. To control and monitor something from the Controller software it needs to be Unifi.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
One step at a time I think. Will get the AP installed and working with just the Sky Q hub as my dhcp router (no wifi).

This should fix my wifi issues and then I will probably go through my spare Hardware to see if I can pull together a decent pfsense box or VM.

Thankyou to you all for the input, definitely got what I originally wanted from this thread just upgrading my wifi.

Man of Honour
3. The ER-X is a powerful little Router, a pfsense box is always going to be more flexible and powerful but do you need all those extra features 99% of people do not.
It isn't just the fact it has more features, it is easier to understand, configure and there's more support/documentation when you need it. There have also been some glaring security holes with Ubiqiti routers that have taken ages to patch IIRC.

OP has the right mindset, get the AP working and go from there.

Associate
OP
1. 4Gon and Broadbandbuyer have the USG instock, if you have OCD i would recommend getting it as half the dials in the controller software won't work else.
2. Yes the cloud key a dedicated little computer to a run the controller software on it's kind of like a Raspberry Pi.
3. The ER-X is a powerful little Router, a pfsense box is always going to be more flexible and powerful but do you need all those extra features 99% of people do not.

1. Will have a look, I don’t actually have OCD (I don’t think) but I’m mental with matching. I bought a karcher the other day and had to get all their accessorie. Even the tap adapter which was about 4x the price.

2. The key I will manage without for now, got a few machines running 24/7 and I’ve also go a few unused raspberry pis so will see if I can get away with that.

3. I probably would some of the extra features, I run a home lab and also my own domain for business use but most of it is now moved to azure. I’m a developer but I always like to play with networking.

Soldato
Big recommendation for the ubiquiti kit, I'll be expanding what I've got soon.

Bit of advice, pay the extra money for the PRO rather than the LITE version of the APs. You get 48v standard POE (LITE needs a £30 adapter or non-standard injector) and better range/speed. I wish I'd got one, and our house is small.

Mine currently sits behind the TV cabinet and still serves the whole house, garden and front porch, but speeds are unreliable at the extremes of range.

Soldato
The UAP-AC-LITE now supports 802.3af PoE. Even with the older version the passive PoE injector is included in the box so it's no big deal.

That's very good to know thanks.

I very much dislike how cable (and socket) heavy multiple injectors can be. But I do love PoE so maybe I'm bias.

Associate
OP
I’ve managed to power mine with my 48v PoE switch. The only thing that wouldn’t work was I install the UniFi software on my server 2016 box just as temp install but it wouldn’t let me do the cloud bit.

Range seems really good as well so don’t think I need a 2nd AP.

Can pick up a non AC version cheap, think I will get that for my 2nd AP on the other side of the house for guest wifi and mobiles/tablets that don’t need the high bandwidth. After that I am going to look at the edgerouter

Soldato
Hi, sorry to hijack the thread but if i wanted to extend my wifi around my house, would i buy one of these Ubiquiti Unifi AP's?

BT router is in the kitchen at the moment, i would like one of these on the 2nd floor as the signal is a bit poor. Can you run a cable into it from the router? I'm not too clued up on networking tbh

Soldato
Hi, sorry to hijack the thread but if i wanted to extend my wifi around my house, would i buy one of these Ubiquiti Unifi AP's?

They're an option.

They work well enough, especially if you can get them mounted in a good central location on a ceiling as they're supposed to be.

I'd always use them instead of the router's wireless rather than in addition to it. Disable the router's wireless and then install as many (often only one) APs as you need to cover the area.

BT router is in the kitchen at the moment, i would like one of these on the 2nd floor as the signal is a bit poor. Can you run a cable into it from the router? I'm not too clued up on networking tbh

You'd need a cable from your router to the AP. The question really is can YOU run a cable from the router to the AP? Is this a three storey building?

Associate
OP
Thanks for your time, yes, i can run a cable, i already have a cable up to the 2nd floor, it's just not attached to anything, it was in the back of my xbox. Sounds like i should get one of these...

I’m not sure if there’s a cheap alternative but I’ve been very impressed with mine. They have been recommend several times in the past and I wish I would have bought one sooner now. I’m sure you won’t be disappointed either with the performance and features.

Associate
OP
What can I use for the cloud UniFi option then instead of purchasing the key.

Think I will run that and buy the edgerouter then because it will be a while before I can spend the time with pfsense

Associate
OP
There is a nice UniFi container which I’ve got running on docker. I have a ESXI host which has a decent VM running XPEnology so thought I would give it a go.

This seems to work perfectly, have to change a few settings because of the ports but got cloud access now and that VM runs 24/7 anyway.

If I start to get more kit I will probably switch a dedicated VM but for anyone else looking to invest in ubiquiti and already own a synology this will probably cover your requirements and save on purchasing a cloud key.

Back
Top Bottom