Oculus Rift

Soldato
What SS levels are you running, I am on 1080ti and use to run everything at 1.6 but now dropped to 1.5 as I cannot see any difference but should be easier on the hardware.
I've been playing with 1.5 set in oculus tray tool, I tried 1 and couldn't really see a difference, and I tried 2 and project cars became a juttery slide show, I'd need to properly sit down and try and look for the differences, I'm still too ecited when I put the headset on at the moment

Associate
I've been playing with 1.5 set in oculus tray tool, I tried 1 and couldn't really see a difference, and I tried 2 and project cars became a juttery slide show, I'd need to properly sit down and try and look for the differences, I'm still too ecited when I put the headset on at the moment
A 970 is too underpowered to be messing around with ridiculous levels of SS in VR (especially with something like Project Cars).

Like SupraWez I don't generally go above 1.5, as I really can't see any difference either (actually, once I hit 1.4 I've pretty much hit my visual limit).

In some cases like Robo Recall, MSAA makes a difference over SS (though I use both). There is the odd instance where even at high SS levels, there are still some aliasing issues (the red hands on the office clock is a good example) that only go away with MSAA.

Soldato
My anti virus doesn't like oculus tool tray, so I can't tell if it's nuking it when it tries to do stuff anyway, it's deleted it all this morning when I started my comp :(

Associate
Ok, I'll mess about with it later today, gotta limit my playtime to a few hours today, gonna try dota2 vr and see what that's like :)

LeMson,

How does the rift compare with what you thought it'd be like?

I'll be trying it for the first time in the next few weeks, so I'm always interested in how other people find the experience first time and then in the future?

I've been a bit surprised, (s much so I bought one) when I previously looked into VR I read a lot about motion sickness which put me off, this time around I'm not reading much negativity. It sounds like it is finally a game changer, but I'm still wondering if the initial wow factor carries through or whether it's a novelty that wears off and the rift ends up in the back off a cupboard?

Associate
but I'm still wondering if the initial wow factor carries through or whether it's a novelty that wears off and the rift ends up in the back off a cupboard?
I've been using VR regularly since the DK1 and the novelty has never worn off, to the point that I'd say it's beyond being a novelty - it's a uniquely different way of playing games, and it can amaze you in ways that pancake gaming simply can't.

Soldato
LeMson,

How does the rift compare with what you thought it'd be like?

I'll be trying it for the first time in the next few weeks, so I'm always interested in how other people find the experience first time and then in the future?

I've been a bit surprised, (s much so I bought one) when I previously looked into VR I read a lot about motion sickness which put me off, this time around I'm not reading much negativity. It sounds like it is finally a game changer, but I'm still wondering if the initial wow factor carries through or whether it's a novelty that wears off and the rift ends up in the back off a cupboard?
Ok, I've been a gamer for the last 25 years, I don't think i've ever tried VR before this, I love all sorts of games, and I love cars and planes which the rift works great with, I have used a triple monitor setup in the past, it kind of got in the way and the bezels are annoying.

So for the rift, I honestly didn't think it would be this good, it's absolutely mind blowing, I cannot find the words that can prepare you for it, in fact forget about what it's going to be like and just experience it!

You can get motion sick with it, I tired DCS world in the A10, a seated game, I stood up when in the cockpit and that put me sat on top of the planes canopy, this then felt like wing walking, so 2000ft in the air, sat on top of an A10, then I moved the joystick to the left and right and dear god I thought I was gonna slide off and fall to my death!

Like Fluke just wrote, it's a different way of playing games, your sat IN the car in project cars, your sat IN the plane (or on top of it :E in DCS World), I don't think it'll be going back in it's box for a few years!

I'm struggling with my 970 in some titles, and trying SS really drops the hz of the display when I performance monitor in oculus tray tools, so I defo need a gfx card upgrade.

The p0rn is mindblowing too if thats your thing, like a real woman stood in front of you, i'm #nofapping though so only looked at some to see what it was like :p

Computer wise the best 400 quid I've ever spent, I think I've gotten my moneys worth already. I've played on 3 free days now, and I marathon it for hours at a time, it's very draining and I'll have less free time soon. Anyone on the fence about buying one who likes racing and flight sims should though! I need to buy superhot and star trek bridge too too, so it's turning costly now :p

Associate
I've been using VR regularly since the DK1 and the novelty has never worn off, to the point that I'd say it's beyond being a novelty - it's a uniquely different way of playing games, and it can amaze you in ways that pancake gaming simply can't.

Great to hear thank you, I had grown out of gaming sadly, but VR offers a different experience and a return to something I always wanted as a kid.

Associate
Ok, I've been a gamer for the last 25 years, I don't think i've ever tried VR before this, I love all sorts of games, and I love cars and planes which the rift works great with, I have used a triple monitor setup in the past, it kind of got in the way and the bezels are annoying.

So for the rift, I honestly didn't think it would be this good, it's absolutely mind blowing, I cannot find the words that can prepare you for it, in fact forget about what it's going to be like and just experience it!

You can get motion sick with it, I tired DCS world in the A10, a seated game, I stood up when in the cockpit and that put me sat on top of the planes canopy, this then felt like wing walking, so 2000ft in the air, sat on top of an A10, then I moved the joystick to the left and right and dear god I thought I was gonna slide off and fall to my death!

Like Fluke just wrote, it's a different way of playing games, your sat IN the car in project cars, your sat IN the plane (or on top of it :E in DCS World), I don't think it'll be going back in it's box for a few years!

I'm struggling with my 970 in some titles, and trying SS really drops the hz of the display when I performance monitor in oculus tray tools, so I defo need a gfx card upgrade.

The p0rn is mindblowing too if thats your thing, like a real woman stood in front of you, i'm #nofapping though so only looked at some to see what it was like :p

Computer wise the best 400 quid I've ever spent, I think I've gotten my moneys worth already. I've played on 3 free days now, and I marathon it for hours at a time, it's very draining and I'll have less free time soon. Anyone on the fence about buying one who likes racing and flight sims should though! I need to buy superhot and star trek bridge too too, so it's turning costly now :p

Thank you for a great response.

Interesting to hear you're struggling with the 970, as I was going to pick one up until fluke mentioned going for a 10 series. Can't justify pushing to a 1070 though at this stage so I'm going to have to settle on a 1060 for now. I'll probably regret that, but that's buying a rift on impulse.

I was thinking of getting back into car racing, but then I'd want the proper wheel again. I can see it becoming an expensive addiction.

Looking forward to RE7 when it comes out.

Thanks to the feedback, I'm sure the rift will prove a great purchase.

Soldato
Thank you for a great response.

Interesting to hear you're struggling with the 970, as I was going to pick one up until fluke mentioned going for a 10 series. Can't justify pushing to a 1070 though at this stage so I'm going to have to settle on a 1060 for now. I'll probably regret that, but that's buying a rift on impulse.

I was thinking of getting back into car racing, but then I'd want the proper wheel again. I can see it becoming an expensive addiction.

Looking forward to RE7 when it comes out.

Thanks to the feedback, I'm sure the rift will prove a great purchase.
I'm playing project cars with a 360 pad at moment, i have a g25 but not much room for it, still awesome with the pad for now though. The 970 is enough, just with a 1080ti it would be better, as always with computer stuff theres always more to be had. Project cars plays fine with my 970 with no or small amounts of SS though, now's not a great time to buy a gfx card, with mining and vega release in the next few weeks, I may just wait for volta next year.

edit: I've just tried DCS world again, stood up swaying all over the place wing walking again, I feel sick now lolz

Soldato
Try IL2:Stalingrad. Dogfights... hell, even shooting up transport planes is epic. War Thunder is another one, but I just keep coming back to IL2:Stalingrad in the end :)

Associate
It's mentioned repeatedly, but yep, experiencing it is simply the only way to understand what it's like. Until they do, some people just don't seem grasp that it isn't the same as a 3DTV. The best thing about VR, if you haven't done so yet, is showing it to other people. If you can, show it to someone who doesn't really have any knowledge of VR, or that consumer VR even exists. It's getting harder to do these days with VR awareness permeating the media, but if you can...honestly, you can melt peoples minds :)

Great to hear thank you, I had grown out of gaming sadly, but VR offers a different experience and a return to something I always wanted as a kid.
I've seen similar comments repeatedly posted over the past few years. The thing with VR for a lot of people is that for the first time in decades, they basically experience childlike wonder when they see what VR is like, especially with the First Contact demo that runs during the Touch setup. We're so used to seeing incremental upgrades of existing technology, when something that is pretty much new as far as most people are concerned comes along, it's utterly magical.

Associate
I take VR for granted, I only really play racing games especially Iracing. The novelty has worn of our so i thought. Vr was making me feel no big deal. That is until I thoughtr i had a hardware problem. Then I realised I could not live without it gaming wise. It took the shock of having no VR to come to that realisation, and considering getting a second oculus while I waited or whatever to for a repair/replacement.

Soldato
I take VR for granted, I only really play racing games especially Iracing. The novelty has worn of our so i thought. Vr was making me feel no big deal. That is until I thoughtr i had a hardware problem. Then I realised I could not live without it gaming wise. It took the shock of having no VR to come to that realisation, and considering getting a second oculus while I waited or whatever to for a repair/replacement.
What kind of hardware problem did you have?

Associate
So, I finally decided to jump on the Rift whilst it's on sale. But before I pressed the order button I decided to download and run the compatibility tool, I was expected to just about to pass on the cpu and GPU (fx8350, r9-290), I passed those but amazingly I failed on USB...I unplugged my Razer Turret (I game from the sofa) and headset from the USB 3.0 sockets thinking I needed to free them up, rebooted my PC and ran the compatibility tool again, failed once more.

There error was something like

'Etron 3.0 Xstensible controller 1.0'

Any ideas guys? I don't want to buy anything else if I can help it.

If it helps my motherboard is a
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5

Soldato
An FX8350 will be fine for VR, I was running my rift on the same CPU before upgrading to 1700, not sure how the 290 will fair though, I am sure it will work but you will be limited on how much SS you can run and at what in game settings.

The Rift can be quite picky when it comes to USB controllers, although even on controllers that fail the compatibility test people have reported that it works without issue, worse case you will just need a USB3 adapter card, Oculus recommend some cards, most are four port but users have seen issues when using more than two for the Rift, this could be down to the number of controllers, cheaper cards have one controller for all ports where as the more expensive cards have a controller per port.

The sensors are reported to work in USB2 ports as well.

Soldato
So, I finally decided to jump on the Rift whilst it's on sale. But before I pressed the order button I decided to download and run the compatibility tool, I was expected to just about to pass on the cpu and GPU (fx8350, r9-290), I passed those but amazingly I failed on USB...I unplugged my Razer Turret (I game from the sofa) and headset from the USB 3.0 sockets thinking I needed to free them up, rebooted my PC and ran the compatibility tool again, failed once more.

There error was something like

'Etron 3.0 Xstensible controller 1.0'

Any ideas guys? I don't want to buy anything else if I can help it.

If it helps my motherboard is a
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5

If you want an Inateck adapter card, recommended by Oculus, I can send one to you. I bought one and have since replaced it with a Startech card so I have no need for it.

The Etron USB ports do not work.

Associate

I started to get black screens randomly whilst in game, the games would still be running but I would be blind. The mirror image on the desktop would also go black. I could get it back by re booting oculus but then at some point it would do the same again and so on. I took out the HDMI cable and cleaned it, seems to be ok now. At least Im hoping it was that simple, but so far the issue has not come back.

Back
Top Bottom