Raspberry Pi 3

Associate
Not sure if this helps but I use my pi 3 as a plex server with a 1tb external hdd. I've installed Samba on it and just map the drive on my pc and drag my media onto it - although Samba isn't the quickest I get 7MBs write speeds and 11MBs read speeds over the network. Enough to view 1080p content without an issue so the PI should be powerful enough to do what you want.

In terms on how to do stuff there's plenty of guides online where you can literally copy and paste the commends into the terminal - to the point that I never actually use the Pi locally I just use SSH.

Soldato
I found myself annoyed yesterday, so my pi3 was previously shutdown from within the OS.

However I sat there thinking how can I turn this on without pulling the power and putting it back in, I couldnt so I had to take the cable out and put it back in, seemed so backwards.

Associate
I can understand your frustration but we mustn't forget what the pi was actually designed for?
I have to admit it is annoying but i think you can always connect an IR diode as the pi doesnt actually shut down fully when 'shutdown'
"Buy an IR photo-diode, or even better, an IR photo-transistor, and connect it to Pin 5 and GND. It acts like a push-button. When it receives IR beams from remote controller, it shorts, and hence connects Pin 5 to GND, hence the RPi turns on."
Personally min is on 24/7 unless it's something i'm messing with in which case i have a push button to short the pins and boot up.

Soldato
OP
I can understand your frustration but we mustn't forget what the pi was actually designed for?
I have to admit it is annoying but i think you can always connect an IR diode as the pi doesnt actually shut down fully when 'shutdown'
"Buy an IR photo-diode, or even better, an IR photo-transistor, and connect it to Pin 5 and GND. It acts like a push-button. When it receives IR beams from remote controller, it shorts, and hence connects Pin 5 to GND, hence the RPi turns on."
Personally min is on 24/7 unless it's something i'm messing with in which case i have a push button to short the pins and boot up.

But that doesn't shut it down, it just cuts power.

Now if the OS was on non volaitile memory then work be ok, or if settings were stored again in flash ram (secure too) but I use squeezebox, so would not just switch it off, it's shutodown and takes a minute.

Don't think Pi3 is the right product, think I'll look into another NAS with faster CPU and updated hardware

Soldato
OP
actually thought this may be a good item for a downloader box. Maybe connect up a 2.5" or 3.5" HD for mass storage. Plus can install squeezecenter.

I assume you can just connect to it remotely, like the android microsoft remote app? And control it via a GUI?

Soldato
yeah I have left it on now, since it only consumes 1-2 watts anyway.

Soldato
actually thought this may be a good item for a downloader box. Maybe connect up a 2.5" or 3.5" HD for mass storage. Plus can install squeezecenter.

I assume you can just connect to it remotely, like the android microsoft remote app? And control it via a GUI?

Install the OS locally first, then configure a remote access service on it and then yes can do it all remotely.

Soldato
OP
Got a pi3, intalled raspian.
It seems a bit sluggish but unsure if it's the microsd card. Any benchmarks within raspian packages that do benchmarks?

And a guide to install squeezecenter? I found one and it got so far then started chucking back errors.

Soldato
sysbench although I dont know if there is a package for it.

These are not high performance devices, they have arm processors, but they very small and power efficient.

Also without decent cooling, if you stress the cpu more than a few mins it will throttle so slowing it down.

Back
Top Bottom