Formula Boinc 2017

Xez

Xez

Associate
Sorry guys, bit late into the game. I'm currently in an end of life hospice so have limited access to my computers at home! Got both of them running at the moment.

Soldato
Sorry guys, bit late into the game. I'm currently in an end of life hospice so have limited access to my computers at home! Got both of them running at the moment.

I don't even know what to say to this, im felling pretty down after reading this. not a question I want to ask at all, but how long do you have left? life is so unfair. why cant this happen to some crack head on the street

PDW

PDW

Associate
Hi @Xez

I've sent you a PM at the NFS website, you should see it appear in Boinc Manager or if you go to their website.
Thanks for helping out with the sprint.

PDW

PDW

Associate
erm...... sorry for the naievity but am i doing it? I think something is happening as i downloaded and installed stuff and my CPU is at 100% but nothing on my GPU
Hi and welcome :)

Yes you are, there are no GPU tasks at NFS.
But you can maximise your output by setting your preferences in your account at NFS to run only the last option:

lasieve5f - used for huge factorizations, uses up to 1 GB memory: yes

They pay more in credit, and as you have plenty of memory the 1Gb usage per task shouldn't be a problem for you.

PDW

PDW

Associate
Okay, but if you are using both your GPUs for folding I think you need to leave a CPU core free for each one ?
There are several ways to restrict Boinc usage, I would suggest you create a file (using a text editor, eg Notepad) called app_config.xml
The contents of that file would be

<app_config>
<project_max_concurrent>2</project_max_concurrent>
</app_config>

This will only allow 2 NFS tasks to run at a time
The app_config.xml file needs to be in the NFS project folder under the Boinc data directory, sorry, I don't have Windows 10, it might be in:

C:\ProgramData\BOINC\projects\escatter11.fullerton.edu_nfs

If you installed Boinc on your C: drive (and Win 10 is the same as Win 7).

You can then update Boinc to use the new setting in Advanced View by clicking Options, then Read config files

Ask if you have problems !

Soldato
or you can also reduce out put on the boinc client its self, firsly find view and click advanced view. once you've done that go to options > computing preferences . usage limits and enter 50% and click ok .

use at most { 50% } of the cpu

I see MGP broke his non like for maths projects and signed up! :p :D time for work again.... but I do get 10 days of paid holiday after tonight .

Last edited:

Xez

Xez

Associate
I don't even know what to say to this, im felling pretty down after reading this. not a question I want to ask at all, but how long do you have left? life is so unfair. why cant this happen to some crack head on the street

I dont know or really want to know to be honest. So long as im pain free which isnt fully under control yet! Life is is very unfair especially as im only 28 but well cant sit and dwell on these things.

My computers keep waiting for memory but not really slowing me down

Associate
I came by to fuss at you guys for putting up such a fight this time, but instead: Xez, many of us have put forth a lot of income in hardware and electricity, specifically for your situation. Many at TeAm AnandTech, on a private channel, have expressed interest in a public TeAm statement, to you, wishing you well, friend! We hope you get to see many many many more close races! :)

Associate
Please know that all of us at Crunching@EVGA and the Folding team have you in our thoughts and prayers.

Soldato
OP
zen19 thanks for helping out!

You'll be better off just running the lasievef & lasievef work units, they pay much better due to the memory requirements (1GB per work unit) which you'll comfortably do as you have 2 gigs available per core on your 5960X :)
Go here: https://escatter11.fullerton.edu/nfs/prefs.php?subset=project / edit preferences / and unchecked the top two ( lasieved & lasievee) in the 'Run only the selected applications' section.

Xez

Xez

Associate
Thanks for the kind works people much appreciated . Doesnt look like we are doing too bad! I know a certain team always drops a bomb though...

PDW

PDW

Associate
I think the Formula Boinc scoring must be on the blink today :confused:
For some reason we are showing a lot more points than TaaT ?

;)

Man of Honour
Xez mine and my families thoughts are with you mate. Hope you stay around as long as you are able and can stay pain free.

Team, not able to help with this one. Don't have any decent CPU rigs I can throw at it. If a GPU project sprint occurs then I'll be all over it.

Good luck everyone!

Soldato

You'll be better off just running the lasievef & lasievef work units, they pay much better due to the memory requirements (1GB per work unit) which you'll comfortably do as you have 2 gigs available per core on your 5960X :)
Go here: https://escatter11.fullerton.edu/nfs/prefs.php?subset=project / edit preferences / and unchecked the top two ( lasieved & lasievee) in the 'Run only the selected applications' section.

Done I think - thanks for the tip, where can I see the table of where we are?
Mark
Never mind - seen the table now - seems we did it team. Wish I had taken part earlier. Must do better next time.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mark, don't worry I'll be sure to send you a reminder for next time haha. Still.. You can still continue to run a project if you wish. My self will be having a go at pogs to help get us to number 1 on there

Back
Top Bottom