Aorus Owner's Lounge

Associate
I had this issue with my old MSI. If your key is popping out, the scissor switch is broken. I called them and they asked me to send it in. I ended up calling their parts Dept and they sent me a new key. Popped right in. I have no idea how gigabyte operates, but call your rep.
Does not look like the scissor itself is broken. I have another key from another laptop to compare. I think its the housing that is damaged

I'm having trouble finding 381.71 after extensive searching - is that a typo, and if not, where can I get it from?

I didn't know about the Nvidia power managemnt setting though. I'm now getting 14211 on version 384.94 after turning that on (full CPU and CPU overclock in C&C), followed by 13962 with fans set to maximum. Trying the other driver versions I can find now...

EDIT -

With drivers 382.30 downloaded from http://resources.aorus.com/Product/Download/X5 MD , I get 13968. I wonder if perhaps 381.71 is a pre-production / internal driver with a different vBIOS?
Later drivers should offer better or at least equal performance. 381.71 is indeed a driver that we've had since May, so it's a preproduction one. Shouldn't be performing any better.

Another thing I realized from all the samples I've tested - they've all had their maximum (one-core) turbo frequency boosted to 4.3GHz. This can be set in the control center software or with XTU.

Associate
Later drivers should offer better or at least equal performance. 381.71 is indeed a driver that we've had since May, so it's a preproduction one. Shouldn't be performing any better.

Another thing I realized from all the samples I've tested - they've all had their maximum (one-core) turbo frequency boosted to 4.3GHz. This can be set in the control center software or with XTU.

So I'm on 384.94 on my x7 DT. Performance is good, although I wish the GPU had a tiny bit more power. I was wondering why the graphics card isn't recognized in Firestrike though. It happened on the old drivers and the new one. See here: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/21321896

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
I'm really liking the adapter. Mine says 265W max. Does that mean the adapter can supply that to the laptop or is the 10W reserved for the USB only? Multiplying the other numbers on my adapter, the wattage comes out to 255W.

Do you also know if this unit has built in power limits and if Aorus will be supplying vbios to push it further? I know with the v6, the battery would slowly drain if you went past the capacity of the adapter. Some people found that to be a bad thing, but I actually liked it since I was able to OC the laptop more. It would be good to have a choice - I just wanted to know if it was possible.

Hi Derek712,

Further clarification on the PSU:

The slim adapter offers two DC Outputs;

1) Charging to the laptop = > 19.5V / 13.1 A which can provide up to 255W power

2) Charging to the USB port = > 5V / 2A which can provide up to 10W power

Therefore the MAX 265W offers 255W for the laptop and 10W for the USB port.

Hope that clarifies for you,

Regards,

Team AORUS

Associate

I used the restore partition to reset my X5 MD to factory settings. Then I ran all Windows updates, set Nvidia and Windows power management to max performance, set fans to 100% fixed, set CPU and GPU overclocking sliders to full in Command & Control, disabled gsync, and ran Firestrike. My score was about 13900.

Then I noticed there was a new Nvidia driver I'd not seen before (anywhere) listed in Aorus Driver Update - 382.66. After installing this and resetting everything to the same condition I've just described, I got a result of 14183.

I'm sure that more extreme overclocking could improve this, but I'm disappointed because, as I said before, I expected 'a bit better than 1070 performance but well shy of a real 1080", and I think that was a realistic expectation that has not been met.

I tried a bit of gaming in amongst all the benchmarks. Obviously at this level of performance 4k is out, and I was pretty unhappy with how it looks gaming at a non-native res.

I think at this point I'm going to return it to OCUK ( I've no idea how they will feel about that, never tried returning to them before, and I received it 9 days ago - if you can help with that, @Atom80, I would appreciate it) and will consider its replacement carefully. It may well be that (having discovered that performance compromise on this scale is not something I can live with), the X7 v7 DT QHD is what I go for (as I doubt even that machine would drive the 4K version properly). Thanks.

Soldato
Just saw y
So I'm on 384.94 on my x7 DT. Performance is good, although I wish the GPU had a tiny bit more power. I was wondering why the graphics card isn't recognized in Firestrike though. It happened on the old drivers and the new one. See here: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/21321896

Just saw your photos on the Notebook forums... not liking the look of that ugly gap on the X7 chassis :/

I used the restore partition to reset my X5 MD to factory settings. Then I ran all Windows updates, set Nvidia and Windows power management to max performance, set fans to 100% fixed, set CPU and GPU overclocking sliders to full in Command & Control, disabled gsync, and ran Firestrike. My score was about 13900.

Then I noticed there was a new Nvidia driver I'd not seen before (anywhere) listed in Aorus Driver Update - 382.66. After installing this and resetting everything to the same condition I've just described, I got a result of 14183.

I'm sure that more extreme overclocking could improve this, but I'm disappointed because, as I said before, I expected 'a bit better than 1070 performance but well shy of a real 1080", and I think that was a realistic expectation that has not been met.

I tried a bit of gaming in amongst all the benchmarks. Obviously at this level of performance 4k is out, and I was pretty unhappy with how it looks gaming at a non-native res.

I think at this point I'm going to return it to OCUK ( I've no idea how they will feel about that, never tried returning to them before, and I received it 9 days ago - if you can help with that, @Atom80, I would appreciate it) and will consider its replacement carefully. It may well be that (having discovered that performance compromise on this scale is not something I can live with), the X7 v7 DT QHD is what I go for (as I doubt even that machine would drive the 4K version properly). Thanks.
It is indeed supposed to perform better than a GTX 1070. Why I brought up the overclocking is because there might be a difference on the internal samples I've had kicking around (I know they're set to a x43 multi on one core), while the retail, out-of-the-box systems might have a lower clock. That shouldn't really equate to 1000 points in Fire Strike though. You're not supposed to need to perform any manual overclocking to reach the same levels - I would agree with your findings that your system doesn't perform as it should, for whatever reason.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
@Atom80 @AORUS - Mean Machine any chance i can order a spare X7v6 keyboard? Think the housing for one of my keys is damaged and its constantly jumping out

Hi Jared_T,

Please contact our service centre and they will be able to supply:

GIGABYTE Authorized Service Partner
Address: MendIT Ltd Crown House Bridgewater Close Burnley Lancashire England BB11 5TE
Technical Support: 08442449999
Email: [email protected]

Drop them a mail, or call, and they can advise on price, or if its possible to get repaired under warranty.

Thanks,

Team AORUS

Associate
Hi Jared_T,

Please contact our service centre and they will be able to supply:

GIGABYTE Authorized Service Partner
Address: MendIT Ltd Crown House Bridgewater Close Burnley Lancashire England BB11 5TE
Technical Support: 08442449999
Email: [email protected]

Drop them a mail, or call, and they can advise on price, or if its possible to get repaired under warranty.

Thanks,

Team AORUS
Thanks for the info. Do they ship overseas? Planning to receive it in the US

edit: i would repair at through my reseller in Malaysia but the local Gigabyte service center does not have a solid ETA (they estimate 3 weeks at least) as to how long it will take and i'll be flying off to the States in less than 2 weeks so if i can perform the repair (which seems to be simple enough since the kb is a separate unit form the chassis) myself it would help out a lot.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi,
Placed an order for x5 v7 yesterday. It arrived few minutes ago and its unable to power on, LEDs blink but no power, blank screen. Tried plugging in for a while, long press power button to force restart but doesnt help.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Associate
Hi,
Placed an order for x5 v7 yesterday. It arrived few minutes ago and its unable to power on, LEDs blink but no power, blank screen. Tried plugging in for a while, long press power button to force restart but doesnt help.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Hi w4r_m4chine,

When my X5 v7 arrived the battery was depleted and required a charge of around 15mins before having enough juice to boot up.

I'd advise allowing 10mins to charge and then hold the power button on the laptop (whilst still on charge) for a further few minutes to kickstart the machine.

Good luck!

RR

Associate
Hi w4r_m4chine,

When my X5 v7 arrived the battery was depleted and required a charge of around 15mins before having enough juice to boot up.

I'd advise allowing 10mins to charge and then hold the power button on the laptop (whilst still on charge) for a further few minutes to kickstart the machine.

Good luck!

RR

Hi Robin,
Thanks for that info. I tried it but unfortunatley didnot helped. Now i have created an RMA to send it back.
Regards

Associate
Hello all, I joined this forum because it seems to have more participation then NBR.
Can either of the Aorus reps let me know what the max battery life of the X5 V7 is? With the laptop battery saver on, and with the gpu power limited to like 70%? I really love the specs on paper and that HUGE 94Wh battery gives me hope that the laptop would survive a day of school.

And I have read through llike 30 ish pages of this thread and haven't seen to much mention of the X5 V7 other then people keep returning it.
Are the common issues I read about like the messed up keyboard still prevalent in the v7 models?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom