• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Well at least its good you are not into photography,as many of the new releases have been hit by a double whammy of yen price increases and the pound being weaker.

For instance I got a mirrorless camera for more general usage,and instead of £500 to £550 for my model,its £800 to £900 for the new one.

All gone bonkers! If I lived close to the northern border I can do what others do. Go to Belfast buy cheap and go home :/

Soldato
its a shame really, as a AMD fan I am seriously disappointed. Many of us kept telling AMD what they needed to achieve to make this acceptable to us gamers and it would seem AMD dont understand how much of a fail this card will be. They really needed the XT version to be 10% faster than 1080 and XTX 20% faster then 1080, they could have justified the prices they are charging. Nobody in their right mind would pay these prices specially given the hideous power draw unless they are stuck with freesync monitor.

I really hope they have some magic drivers up their sleeve somewhere but that's not happening. They should have not released this card and worked on getting Navi done faster.

Associate
No one would be bothered, if these cards were launching 12mths ago.

..and 12mths ago they could have got away with charging $400 & $500, but not in late 2017.

Yeah, they would. A few at least.

The way some are going on these are bad to awful cards and not worth bothering with, when in reality they are just a bit overpriced but still offer better performance than the majority of cards available - all available AMD cards - and more than most PC gamers are running. Time frame and cost aside 1080 performance is not now all of a sudden redundant. We haven't suddenly had an influx of games that demand 1080ti performance as a minimum.

As a freesync owner with a Fury (another card that gets slated but has actually been fine for me at 1440p) apart from price that I mentioned, Vega is a decent option.

Yes they could and should be better when compared to nVidia and time to market but they're not and that doesn't make them as bad as some are making out.

I just find the vitriol, hyperbole and 'me too' bandwagon jumping that goes on on here odd sometimes. It's like people think their opinions will only be regarded if they go for the extreme ends of the argument all the time. :/

Associate
Really disappointed, I was looking forward to switch away from NVIDIA and back to AMD for the GPU to go with my nice new Ryzen 1800X.

I'm not waiting any longer, I've got PC games I've been putting off playing and with Destiny 2 coming in September, I want a 4K capable GPU now, so have reluctantly ordered a 1080 Ti.

Let's hope the success of Ryzen gives the AMD the necessary cash boost to make their next "high-end" card (whenever that will be) a success.

Soldato
Its even worse since I got a deal so the camera cost £340. Now I just checked the latest prices on camerapricebuster and the cheapest for the replacement model is £890!!

Yeah, kinda glad I'm out of video work and changing jobs. Would have needed to build a whole new workstation, or pay a fortune to dell.

Hobbies and jobs are expensive; especially if you live in areas that usually rip off consumers :(

Soldato
This is nonsense. Everyone but the most optimistic here were expecting the top Vega card to trade blows with the 1080.

The most optimistic were saying things like:
"Maybe it's the cut-down card they're demoing?"
"All the new features are turned off in the driver - that'll save it."
"AMD are sandbagging."

Those people are either blind optimists or AMD die-hards. I don't know which. They won't be the ones saying "Vega SUCKS!" - they will be the ones saying "Vega could still be good, just wait! (more)".

The people saying "Vega SUCKS" are the neutrals/those who are seeing what's in front of their eyes.

And what is that?
A card which only matches a stock 1080 under liquid cooling.
A card which draws 2x the power of a 1080.
A card which has yet to even arrive, but will over 12 months late compared to the competition.
A card which was hyped as a "Volta killer" by AMD's own prior marketing materials ("Poor Volta").

This card has utterly failed to deliver. Only the most optimistic AMD die-hard believers can keep the faith now. For the neutrals, Vega sucks. Deal with it, man!

I think he's just trying to re-write history, to make it seem like we had unrealistic expectations for Vega, and actually AMD delivered. Which nobody sane believes.

No im not trying to anything of the sort, i just find some of you people's comments silly and a clear indication that your focus is completely wrong. The reviews is not even out, proper testing is not even done and you apparently have no issue judging it like it was. I bought myself a 1080ti because i gathered that Vega wouldnt offer me the performance i was looking for so please ... keep your boxing of people to yourself, its not that dry cut.

Soldato
fcf0cZS.jpg

I saw that on TH.

Also from the AT article on the launch:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11680...-vega-64-399-rx-vega-56-launching-in-august/3

Talking to AMD’s engineers, what especially surprised me is where the bulk of those transistors went; the single largest consumer of the additional 3.9B transistors was spent on designing the chip to clock much higher than Fiji. Vega 10 can reach 1.7GHz, whereas Fiji couldn’t do much more than 1.05GHz. Additional transistors are needed to add pipeline stages at various points or build in latency hiding mechanisms, as electrons can only move so far on a single clock cycle; this is something we’ve seen in NVIDIA’s Pascal, not to mention countless CPU designs. Still, what it means is that those 3.9B transistors are serving a very important performance purpose: allowing AMD to clock the card high enough to see significant performance gains over Fiji.

Speaking of Fiji, there’s been some question over whether the already shipping Vega FE cards had AMD’s Draw Steam Binning Rasterizer enabled, which is one of the Vega architecture’s new features. The short answer is that no, the DSBR is not enabled in Vega FE’s current drivers. Whereas we have been told to expect it with the RX Vega launch. AMD is being careful not to make too many promises here – the performance and power impact of the DSBR vary wildly with the software used – but it means that the RX Vega will have a bit more going on than the Vega FE at launch.

So nearly 4 billion transistors were used to make the design clock better.

Caporegime
I don't think (hope) that owning a Ryzen means we are locked in to the AMD ecosystem. Vega is different as you need a Freesync panel, but a Ryzen your still free to choose.

This is why I think I am going to go a get a 1080. If I'm gonna be locked in, I'd rather be locked in to Nvidia.

The fact Nvidia are putting Ryzens in thier battle boxes I doubt there are any concerns with CCX's they think are too great or can't be fixed.

Nvidia are actually very supportive of AMD doing well in CPUs. Nvidia biggest enemy now is Intel, not AMD. AMD fighting Intel on the CPU front is good news for Nvidia. Since Intel refuse to licennce X86 IP to Nvidia, they simply can't compete in desktop CPUs so nvidia next best option is to have AMD fight intel on CPUs and Nvidia to dominate in GPUs.

Associate
Nvidia are actually very supportive of AMD doing well in CPUs. Nvidia biggest enemy now is Intel, not AMD. AMD fighting Intel on the CPU front is good news for Nvidia. Since Intel refuse to licennce X86 IP to Nvidia, they simply can't compete in desktop CPUs so nvidia next best option is to have AMD fight intel on CPUs and Nvidia to dominate in GPUs.
Indeed, I believe they even started to recommend them for gaming PC's now.

Soldato
Okay, have only managed a quick scan of last night and this morning's posts... So is this where we are now more or less?

1080 performance, but only according to AMD's own slides (no independent reviews yet) which actually show the range of minimum FPS for a number of titles together, rather than raw FPS per individual game. This is supposed to show that Vega will provide a smooth experience as this range falls in the frequency range of Freesync monitors.

This performance was allegedly from the water-cooled card, and compared to a stock 1080, but at a significantly higher TDP.

There are going to be a number of hardware bundles to entice customers, but the availability and actual discounts applied to said bundles are about as clear as mud.

Soldato
on them. Poor ******Let's wait til the proper launch with stock/benchioes tbh. They're probably whipping their poor driver guy to death making him work/

Did you see that slide - it has better support for mining. The Vega 56 looks to have a significantly lower TDP than the 64 and is not massively slower in pure FLOPs either. You know what is going to happen if it is good at mining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom