Mortgage Setup Fees

Soldato
Having had my own place before buying with my partner I had just accepted this as fact.

You get a mortgage, you pay your £999 setup fee and you get on with your life. Come 2/3/5 years time, you shop around for the best rate and pay your £999 fee.

However, as we're both keen on fixed rate mortgages this does put us in a position where we're paying out around £1K every couple of years for the "pleasure" of borrowing the money.

Ultimately this means, on top of the interest, we'll potentially be paying around £10k in fees for the lifetime of the mortgage we have.

I realise there are some mortgages that don't have this fee, usually at worse rates. I'm more than capable of working out which one is the better value (i.e. worse rate with no fee vs better rate with a fee) but it's still a payout of £1k every so often that doesn't sit well with my partner - who is much more frugal with her money than I am!

In my mind, I've always stayed clear of things like lifetime tracker mortgages as even if you're getting a good rate today by the time they start going up you won't be able to secure a good rate before they rocket.

So... am I missing a trick? We do have to pay these fees, don't we? My experience has been that we're unlikely to find rates that give better value for money with no setup fee than with one. Does that align with what other people have found?

As an aside, I realise these fees can be put on the mortgage itself, but so far (over 4 mortgage renewals) I've always just put it on a 0% credit card over 24 months to avoid paying interest on it.

Soldato
If your total cost with the fee is lower than any mortgage without a fee, what's the problem? Just pay the fee, not sure what your partner is fussed about.

Associate
Yes, either way as above the cost of either the new mortgage with the initial rate (with or without setup fee) is going to be better than paying the Standard mortgage rates

Just having a look on £180K mortgage setup fee is £999 or the one without the fee is £26 a month more expensive or £936 over the 3 years so its all much of a muchness

Caporegime
errrm the higher your mortgage then the more sense the fee makes. i know when i was looking on a £200K mortgage the fee made no sense at all.

Yes, either way as above the cost of either the new mortgage with the initial rate (with or without setup fee) is going to be better than paying the Standard mortgage rates

Just having a look on £180K mortgage setup fee is £999 or the one without the fee is £26 a month more expensive or £936 over the 3 years so its all much of a muchness

and this is why people end up paying fees.

your doing it wrong

Soldato
around 3/5ths of my mortgage is on a lifetime tracker, 0.89% above BOE base, which I have no plans to change.

So I'm left with the other 2/5ths. As it's relatively small (circa £90k) fee-free is much better - the interest saving on the fee carrying mortgages nowhere near makes up for the initial outlay (even on the 2-year fixes). Currently remortgaging with HSBC. Will probably go 5-year fix, as it's not too much of a premium over the 2-year, and provides some certainty alongside my tracker.

Associate
errrm the higher your mortgage then the more sense the fee makes. i know when i was looking on a £200K mortgage the fee made no sense at all.

Yes i do agree that at one point the fee is worth it, but just gave a rough example not knowing their mortgage amount

Myself for example I only have a £72,000 last time i took it out so for me it makes zero sense to pay the fee as the higher initial rate only leaves me with an extra £10 to pay each month or £360 over the 3 years

Around £180K seems to be the tipping point just roughly looking

Caporegime
Yes i do agree that at one point the fee is worth it, but just gave a rough example not knowing their mortgage amount

Myself for example I only have a £72,000 last time i took it out so for me it makes zero sense to pay the fee as the higher initial rate only leaves me with an extra £10 to pay each month or £360 over the 3 years

Around £180K seems to be the tipping point just roughly looking

when your doing the sums you need to add the fee onto the mortgage. then you need to compare how much is left outstanding at the end of the fix. not how much you paid over the fixed period but what is outstanding at the end of the fixed period.

your calculations using payments were the wrong way to figure out which is cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom