US: Fargo

Associate
Wasn't a fan of the ending, previous seasons have wrapped up nicely and left nothing to the imagination (at least that I can remember?). Decent overall but not as good as the previous seasons.

Soldato
In episode 7 when she gets on the prison bus is she sitting next to the enforcer from the first or second season (can't remember which season) if not he's the spit of him.

Associate
Was channel flicking last night and saw a scene I'd forgot about during my binge. The bit after she gets wounded in the woods etc and arrives in a bowling alley. Randomly talks to a dude who speaks in riddles and gives her a kitten. WTF was that all about? Was that just more unexplained fargo randomness like the alien ship appearing in one of the last seasons with no explanation?

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Was channel flicking last night and saw a scene I'd forgot about during my binge. The bit after she gets wounded in the woods etc and arrives in a bowling alley. Randomly talks to a dude who speaks in riddles and gives her a kitten. WTF was that all about? Was that just more unexplained fargo randomness like the alien ship appearing in one of the last seasons with no explanation?

Yes, it's one of those. Former Chief of Police Gloria met that man before, on a plane and then in a bar. His name is Paul Marrane, the (immortal) Wandering Jew as named in the book "Letters Writ by a Turkish Spy" by Giovanni Paolo Marana.

Soldato
I thoroughly enjoyed Season 3, thought it was much better that S2 (which I didn't really like).

I took the bowling alley to be purgatory. The guy with the kitten I guess takes them to the other side (like he did with the Russian) or allows them to return to life. I may be waaaaayyy off here but that's how I saw it.

I don't know what her divine purpose for being allowed to live was though.

Soldato
With s3 finishing last night I think this has been the weakest season so far, dislike how they've left this one semi open compared to previous seasons where it's all finished up ready to jump into a new story.

Soldato
I don't think they left it open, they left the viewer to decide, are you cynical about the world in entirety, or do you see sparks of hope and life.
Write your own ending.

Caporegime
OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Ok I will say it straight: Fargo is a masterpiece of writing and storytelling. Every season had a stand-out cast, every season had a fantastic script, and every season had me gripped from beginning to the end and I loved how they tied together and also how it managed to get some sci-fi and religious aspects in there without feeling too crazy.

Season 1 was a complete surprise, with Martin Freeman showing his versatility as an actor and Billy Bob Thornton being absolutely captivating to watch. Season 2 felt slower but very powerful, with a slightly less memorable but very consistent cast such as veteran Ted Danson. Season 3 had be swearing at the TV, so magnificently evil was the performance by David Thewlis as Varga. Season 3 showed me I am not as jaded and inured to TV violence and psychology as I thought I was, and that is no small accolade.

Would I have liked a clearer ending to S3 and definitive evidence that Varga lost? Yes, but I can't overly criticise it for that as I choose to interpret it that he did indeed finally get his comeuppance.

All in all a magnificent show that I consider one of the best and most consistent that I have ever seen. I will remember it for a long time.

9.5/10. :)

Back
Top Bottom