• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1080 ti temps?

Associate
What temps should i expect with a Asus strix OC edition 1080ti? Just it's heating up the damn house and i'm sweating my ass off playing next to it, this is in Britain with the window open so you'll get the idea.

Anyone onto the the more technical side of it, it's idle temps are 46c max temps 67c playing fallout 4.

Just wandering if thats overly hot or not.

L33

L33

Permabanned
Idle seems high, are the clock speeds reducing correctly when idle?
67 peak under 100% load sounds in the right ballpark, this will vary from sample to sample with the boost clock being different for each.

Soldato
Idle seems high, are the clock speeds reducing correctly when idle?
67 peak under 100% load sounds in the right ballpark, this will vary from sample to sample with the boost clock being different for each.

Idle is okay if the fans are off. My 1080ti fans don't kick in until 50c.

Ste

Ste

Soldato
It will aim for 67-69 in my experience. Just ramps the fans up rather than go over 70.

What bugs me with mine is the backplate gets hotter than the sun :/

Caporegime
My 1080ti evga black idles about 31 degrees (fans off) and normally is in the mid 60's during gaming. Hits 70degrees if under full 100% load for a while.

temps seem normal, idle maybe a little high but is that the idle temp after you have left it not doing anything for say 15+ minutes?

Associate
I've got the same card and while gaming it maxes at 65c, it idles at around 35c. There are a lot of other variables though, what's the ambient temp, what case have you got, what's the airflow like, is your CPU air cooled or aio, if aio are you dumping warm air on to the card, how big is the room, is it carpet or laminate, what card are you comparing it to previously.
My room does heat up a bit while the whole system is stressed but I don't sweat buckets any more than normal.
I'd say you've nothing to worry about to be honest.
Josh.

Soldato
Just checked my Aorus, idling at 31c right now. I don't the strix fans run at all though when idling so I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Associate
If you're running multiple 144hz displays, Pascal won't down clock at idle. I dropped my monitors down to 120hz last night and idle clocks when from 1493mhz to 140mhz.
Temps dropped by 10c.
Your load temps are fine.

Associate
Now I don't have the Asus Strix but you may well find that the fan profile is a bit gentle at the low end. They often are. Use MSI afterburner to create a fan profile that is a little more aggressive at idle. Certainly the Fallout temperatures seem fine.
Remember that card chucks out a LOT of heat when it's full blast so you may well need to increase the speed of your case fans to vent all that heat, but as I said, the running temps sound OK, so I am guessing your case fans are in fact doing a good job. Just you need to override the default fan profile for the card itself.

Associate
Your card is fine. Temps are alright - idle may be more because of poor case ventilation and fans off. My Aorus was hitting 80c easily so I swapped it for MSI to cool things down and stay away from warranty stickers on ASUS cards.
My backplate on the AORUS was "hotter than the sun" as Ste said and was really heating up my RAM and MB around it, but the MSI was better.
Either way, no matter how well you cool it, you will sweat when gaming due to the excessive heat the card produces. Gaming with my 1070 and 1080 was fine, but with the 1080Ti overclocked the rise in room temperature was obvious and the need of better airflow in the case as well.

So basically it is a heater. Two of these in SLI and you can completely turn off heating for that room in winter. :D

Associate
Your card is fine. Temps are alright - idle may be more because of poor case ventilation and fans off. My Aorus was hitting 80c easily so I swapped it for MSI to cool things down and stay away from warranty stickers on ASUS cards.
My backplate on the AORUS was "hotter than the sun" as Ste said and was really heating up my RAM and MB around it, but the MSI was better.
Either way, no matter how well you cool it, you will sweat when gaming due to the excessive heat the card produces. Gaming with my 1070 and 1080 was fine, but with the 1080Ti overclocked the rise in room temperature was obvious and the need of better airflow in the case as well.

So basically it is a heater. Two of these in SLI and you can completely turn off heating for that room in winter. :D

Most top-end GPU's will change the ambient temperature in a room, LOL!

Associate
That temps are fine, I have 1080ti mini with ITX case with two intake case fans. Idle 30c and max 80c. Fan speed idle 44% and max 70%.

Even my old 970 can heat up the room, I need to open a window while gaming in winter with heating already off.

Back
Top Bottom