Password Manager Recommendations

Soldato
Maybe I'm being irrational, but I have a good memory so it's not a problem to remember my complex passwords for the important accounts. 20+ characters with numbers, symbols etc.

Well done, you can remember a 20 character, complex password. The majority of people cannot.
And if you can remember your 20 character complex password, then why are you trusting your "not important" accounts to a password manager? Surely you can remember the simple passwords because they are by definition, simpler.

Permabanned
Well done, you can remember a 20 character, complex password. The majority of people cannot.
And if you can remember your 20 character complex password, then why are you trusting your "not important" accounts to a password manager? Surely you can remember the simple passwords because they are by definition, simpler.

I've got 7 important accounts and personal rules for the complex passwords that I change (the rules, not just the passwords) a few times a year.

The unimportant accounts? I've literally got close to 100 of those, maybe more. No way I'm remembering - nay, no way I'm bothering to type in all of those.

Edit: It might've came across like it, but I wasn't bragging about the "good memory", as those rules help me a bit, obviously.

Last edited:
Soldato
While its good to secure your important passwords, its also important to secure the unimportant ones too. IE a forum or whatever. While sure you might not really care about someone gaining access, you inadvertently compromise the potential security of all users. someone may use your account to post spam links or malware. They may setup (say on OcUK) some kind of scam on the members market using your trusted account. If everything was secured well by yourself, you're increasing the security of any community you're attached to as well.

Soldato
Been using Lastpass for years. Have tried other ones but keep coming back to it. I don't save all of my passwords there though, ISP and e-mail ones are memorised as those allow me to recover any compromised account. So in the worse case scenario and Lastpass is compromised and my accounts abused, I can get back control eventually.

Associate
Been using Lastpass for years. Have tried other ones but keep coming back to it. I don't save all of my passwords there though, ISP and e-mail ones are memorised as those allow me to recover any compromised account. So in the worse case scenario and Lastpass is compromised and my accounts abused, I can get back control eventually.

I've been playing around with Enpass during the past fortnight. I like the simplicity of the software, the functions are logically laid out and best of all you have excellent backup options. However, Lastpass surpasses Enpass as it's much slicker in operation. You don't have to click more than once to log onto a website like you with Enpass.

Soldato
Theirs no way you would know if they updated their software to read your encrypted data.

I actually agree with your point here. You really can't 100% trust closed source software.

I use KeePass(X) because it's FOSS, which makes it much easier to trust - the code is all out in the open, and the motives of the contributors were to write good software.

I probably wouldn't use any of the closed source options for the reason you mentioned, unless it was paid for. I definitely wouldn't use a free (as in £0) closed source password manager.

Man of Honour
I actually agree with your point here. You really can't 100% trust closed source software.

I use KeePass(X) because it's FOSS, which makes it much easier to trust - the code is all out in the open, and the motives of the contributors were to write good software.

I probably wouldn't use any of the closed source options for the reason you mentioned, unless it was paid for. I definitely wouldn't use a free (as in £0) closed source password manager.
Lastpass source code is available for all to see.

Back
Top Bottom