Monzo/Starling Banking/Revolut

Soldato
Did a search but couldn’t see an actual thread for anything Monzo related (outside of travel pre-paid card recommendations). It seems they’re now rolling out current accounts so I was just looking to see if anyone on here, who uses them, has been given a current account yet?

I’ve applied for one but god knows if I’ll be picked. I love my Monzo card (even though there is an outage as I type this) and it has really helped me save money the last few months. As soon as I can do all my banking via Monzo I think I will.

Caporegime
It's a tracker by another name. There are many others and whilst I'm not familiar with it, the idea is sound. Does this come with financial advice, planning etc or is it just something you put on your phone?

Soldato
OP
It's more of a pre-paid card (at the moment) that with the use of a phone app you can track what you've spent and where. It also instantly debits from your account (unlike Natwest where it can take 24 hours) which makes keeping track of money much easier. You can also set yourself budgets and shows you how you're doing

Also nice if you go on holiday lots you don't have to worry about charges aborad when withdrawing money.

Does a lot more too, i'm a rubbish sales person.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I read current accounts won't be rolled out fully until next year.

The main sticking point for me at the moment is I need a joint account.

Soldato
I am an investor in Monzo but we won't be getting current accounts until after a beta wave of none investors.

I actually use Starling myself which is a similar concept but is a live current account now.

I used both Monzo and Starling in Thailand with no issues and no fees, I have used Monzo as the top up card all over Europe with no issues.

They both have great customer support which is something lacking in old school banks I have found over the last few weeks.

Commissario
They've had a few issues recently with outages, just had an email apologising for their issues actually.
OP I have a golden ticket to fast track you if you'd like it.

Caporegime
Loads of copy & paste startups in the financial industry. Here in the square mile the tube stations have a new one advertising in them every other week. I have very little faith in them and wouldn't touch them with a barge pole until they've been around for a few years at least.

Man of Honour
Love my monzo card I use it for everyday spending. Been waiting for them to roll out current account, but haven't been notified that they're taking registrations.

Soldato
Loads of copy & paste startups in the financial industry. Here in the square mile the tube stations have a new one advertising in them every other week. I have very little faith in them and wouldn't touch them with a barge pole until they've been around for a few years at least.

I'm quite a big fan of Money Dashboard (Which i've backed for a small amount) and Curve Card. Although i agree there's something new popping up every other week it seems.

Commissario
Love my monzo card I use it for everyday spending. Been waiting for them to roll out current account, but haven't been notified that they're taking registrations.
They'll be opening it up more in September and hope to have it available to everyone by November.

Soldato
OP
They've had a few issues recently with outages, just had an email apologising for their issues actually.
OP I have a golden ticket to fast track you if you'd like it.

Yeah issues are still going on but my card has been working fine. Sorry for the confusion, I've been using Monzo for a few months. Just signed up to the current account list this morning

Is there a golden ticket type arrangement for the prepay card?, if so, does anyone have one they mind sharing? :)

I do. But you'd need to trust me your mobile number

If you go to the 'help' section on the bottom and then scroll down to the bottom of that part you can sign up for a Current Account card.

Man of Honour
If you go to the 'help' section on the bottom and then scroll down to the bottom of that part you can sign up for a Current Account card.
Thanks just get an error page at the moment, not that I'm in a major rush. Been using it for almost a year now and the app is great, so much easier to keep tabs on spending and what I have left. Especially helpful with stupid 4 weekly pay.

Caporegime
I've got the app an invite etc but I cha depositing the 100 quid or whatever on a silly prepaid card jist wiaitng for it to become a real bank account.

a friend is actually working on thier project for becoming a proper account.

but prepaid cards are just a faff atm is rather use my tesco credit card and get points

Soldato
OP
I don't find Monzo a faff at all. To top up my cards takes no time at all and is done instantly and makes budgetting super easy. If anything it has made Natwest and Barclays both look like amatuer hour with their apps.

Soldato
OP
I think Monzo were hoping to be one of a batch of these up starts to to be first to scene but they were pipped by Starling.

I have invites to both if anyone is interested.

Starling looks quite nice actually, from a UI perspective. How do the two compare? Would you ever use Starling over a traditional bank?

Back
Top Bottom