Windows 10 - Can't delete some files?

Soldato
Hi all,

I'm trying to tidy up my "New" laptop already, the c drive is almost full somehow, I've just updated Windows...

Anyway, I've used "Cleanup" to get rid of system upgrade files etc. and that got me 3 gb back, but I'm trying to delete a folder called "Windows.old" which is over 21gb. Windows tells me I can't and mentions "System". I'm using the username I created to set the machine up with, so it's admin.

Is there someone out there who can solve this problem for me?

Thanks

P.S I've tried google but the answers are just misleading and out of context generally.

Associate
You can't right click and delete that folder.

Use 'Disk Cleanup' within Windows, click 'Clean up system files' it will allow you to remove windows.old (will appear be in the list of files/folders you can delete).

Associate
Start deleting subdirectories. There will be only a couple of files that prevent you from deleting the whole folder. Once you are left with only these files do a restart and then try again.

Soldato
OP
Start deleting subdirectories. There will be only a couple of files that prevent you from deleting the whole folder. Once you are left with only these files do a restart and then try again.

This doesn't work either. Now I realise I've wasted £800 on a Windows 10 laptop, worst OS ever. Keeping my AirBook methinks, can't be bothered with a computer that does not do as it is told, basically. Basic operation, delete a redundant folder, no can do. Silly.

Soldato
Unfortunately Windows.old doesn't show up in Cleanup

Do you not see "Previous Windows Installation" in the list after selecting "Clean system files"?

Another option is using command prompt in admin mode to delete it, but I've never found myself needing to do this.
Code:
takeown /F C:\Windows.old\* /R /A
icacls C:\Windows.old\*.* /T /grant administrators:F
rmdir /S /Q C:\Windows.old\

And then after a restart it should be gone.

Soldato
That's odd, never had to mess about (much) to delete windows.old, just did it through Action Centre > All Settings > System > Storage > This PC > should show up somewhere now, or inside "Other" or something, don't recall. Click to expand and remove/delete.

Soldato
Now I realise I've wasted £800 on a Windows 10 laptop, worst OS ever.

I reckon if you persist with Windows you will at least have the satisfaction of finding several more opportunities to repeat the above. You can really get a sulk on!

But to get over this obstacle, try downloading CCleaner (free). It has the option to clean 'old Windows installation'.

Soldato
OP
I reckon if you persist with Windows you will at least have the satisfaction of finding several more opportunities to repeat the above. You can really get a sulk on!

But to get over this obstacle, try downloading CCleaner (free). It has the option to clean 'old Windows installation'.

Well CCleaner deleted most of the Windows.old directory now the laptop won't boot up. Solution is to install my own version of Windows 10 or a refund, leaning towards a refund.

Associate
Well CCleaner deleted most of the Windows.old directory now the laptop won't boot up. Solution is to install my own version of Windows 10 or a refund, leaning towards a refund.

On another machine just use the Windows 10 Media Creation tool and create a bootable USB stick.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

You are better off starting with a clean install on a new laptop anyway as they are generally full of manufacturer installed bloatware etc.

Soldato
OP
Thanks all. I've returned the laptop, it was an MSI. I would have done a clean/fresh install if it was second hand but not taking any chances when I've paid almost 1k for it.

RIP Windows 10 for beginners who want to recover space from completely unnecessary directories, or badly named ones at the very least.

Soldato
OP
You can't do anything if it no longer boots into Windows not even after a repair. Morons. I am a MacBook Air fanboy, it's an amazing laptop with not 1 problem in years but not too good on games. I'll use my consoles and my PC rig for games. Terrible experience for 1 folder.

Back
Top Bottom