SHL mechanical comprehension test

Soldato
Just been told ive gotta go thru one of the above tests for an engineering role im after.

Have done the practice test they provide and got 70% after a few practices but found it increadibly hard.

Anyone ever done one of these and can point me to some good research? Ive got 4 days before i have to take it. And its a one shot Deal!

Caporegime
Never taken one in my life. All tests I've done were in-house however after a while they kinda realise you didn't get to the position you were in without knowing something!

Soldato
OP
Never taken one in my life. All tests I've done were in-house however after a while they kinda realise you didn't get to the position you were in without knowing something!

My last job was like this. After the first 5/6 years they stop bothering you with tests and let you get on with it

This is a whole different area to me, my backround is electrical and this is mechanical

Soldato
I've done SHL tests before but only numeracy, literacy and logic. I also did a mechanical comprehension test for the Navy although that was pretty easy. Have you had a look on google for some examples? Funnily enough, I've never had to actually do a mechanical comprehension online test despite applying for engineering roles. I've always found mechanical comprehension tends to be discussed/assessed in an interview rather than online.

Man of Honour
80% in 9 minutes, found this one quite enjoyable to be honest :)

I am an IT Consultant, but I love working on cars and machinery.

My advice would be, don't overthink they questions - they seem to flip from devious to simple, to trick you out.

Soldato
OP
80% in 9 minutes, found this one quite enjoyable to be honest :)

I am an IT Consultant, but I love working on cars and machinery.

My advice would be, don't overthink they questions - they seem to flip from devious to simple, to trick you out.

I dont understand the slide or house question can you explain those at all? If you remember them at all that is!

Man of Honour
To update, i passed this test got the email today.

The actual test was much easier than the example one!

Nice one !

The slide question I took to be about the change of angle at the bottom of the slope. The steeper slope will make the object go faster as it falls, but when it suddenly changes direction at the bottom, it won't carry much speed. Whereas the shallower, longer slope will accelerate the object, and the shallower change of angle will allow it to maintain much of that speed. It could also be about the total time the object has to accelerate, and the angles involved, but that's for someone smarter than me.

The house roof is about area, assuming the rain is falling mostly straight, the shallower roof has more surface area facing the drops, and thus catches more drops, so more water. The pointier houses expose a much smaller area to the direction of rainfall, so while the water will flow down the roof a lot quicker, fewer actual drops will hit it.

Maybe :)

Soldato
OP
Nice one !

The slide question I took to be about the change of angle at the bottom of the slope. The steeper slope will make the object go faster as it falls, but when it suddenly changes direction at the bottom, it won't carry much speed. Whereas the shallower, longer slope will accelerate the object, and the shallower change of angle will allow it to maintain much of that speed. It could also be about the total time the object has to accelerate, and the angles involved, but that's for someone smarter than me.

The house roof is about area, assuming the rain is falling mostly straight, the shallower roof has more surface area facing the drops, and thus catches more drops, so more water. The pointier houses expose a much smaller area to the direction of rainfall, so while the water will flow down the roof a lot quicker, fewer actual drops will hit it.

Maybe :)

You made the mistake i made with the house question. Its about fastest flow so the narrower roofed houses have it because alltho the shallower angled houses collect more water because of surface area the flow is less because of the angle.

Same with the slide. The question is what will give the greatest speed not greatest speed over the whole distance. So the one with higher angle gets it as you fall faster :)

Back
Top Bottom