Injector Coding

Soldato
Hi

I need to re-code the injectors to a new ECU in a Fiat Bravo 1.9 Diesel but I'm struggling to find if the injector order refers to the cylinder number or the firing order.

All it says on the ECU software is injector 1 - 4 and looking online gives conflicting advice depending on vehicle make.

Any ideas?

Soldato
OP
Each injector has a unique identifier which tells the ECU its characteristics to improve performance.

I have the codes I just don't know which order to put them in, I would say cylinders 1 - 4 but nothing is that simple.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Right using different software and it reads as injector code cyl. 1 ,injector code cyl. 2 etc so to me that reads as entering the codes on the top of each injector for the cylinder they are in. So looking at the engine from the front it would simply be 1, 2, 3, 4 going left to right.

It was this google result that threw me (http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2), its for the Ford Duratorq HPCR engines so nothing to do with Fiat but it states to do it in firing order but I think thats just down to the way the software is written.

Soldato
Really? :o

Passed me by. Is it just diesels?

It is typically something you have to do for modern common rail diesels.

The thing is they are manufactured to stupidly fine dimensions (Micron range)

Trying to manufacture to tight tolerances, on this scale, would be very expensive, so manufacturers use somewhat slacker tolerances but test the actual performance of each injector. On the basis of that they are each given a unique code.

This code is to tell the ECU how to use them to get the best performance. Typically, if you are doing "New for Old" and the original coding is still in place, most of the time engines will run just fine. If the original coding has been lost for whatever reason the engine may run in limp mode until new coding is applied.

(The old Ford TDCI Mondeo seemed to have a tendency to erase coding data and go to limp mode if the knock limit fault code was generated by the injectors ageing typically around 70-80,000 miles, re coding the injectors would allow it to work again for a while, but eventually injectors would need replacing)

Man of Honour
Injector coding is actually very clever when you think about it on a technical level.

It allows the flow rate vs voltage and latency vs voltages become optimized on a per injector basis.

All adds up to smoother engine response, better economy and emissions and less potential for know because don't have one cylinder running leaner due to it having a slightly lower flow rate

Associate
Optimising settings is a great idea. Doing it using software that's deliberately locked and you don't share with anyone except for leaks then charging thousands for the service is just greed as usual from dealers.

Back
Top Bottom