• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to launch 6 core Coffee Lake-S CPUs & Z370 chipset 5 October 2017

Caporegime
Actually, I went and downloaded the same version of CPUz to make it fair.
The 8700k is not that impressive, it only provides a slight increase in single core compared to the 7700k and ryzen 1700 beats it in multi. Much of the same as we already have.
Looks like poor i7 to me. Ryzen loses 42 in single but mullers it in multi.

safe upload site

That still doesn't look like the same version. The leaked pic is 1.78.1.

I don't know whether that would make any difference but would be good to see one with the exact same version.

Caporegime
Also what is that bios shot supposed to show us? That some things are enabled/disabled but you don't know what? Seems weird.

Really depends what clocks it is running at. If that is it running at full chat and at the 4.7ghz rumoured single core boost then it is underwhelming .

If it is only running at engineering clocks/or just at its base clock 3.7 ghz and that other pic is hinting at turbo boost being disabled then it will be a monster.

I am guessing it is the former though :p

Soldato
Actually, I went and downloaded the same version of CPUz to make it fair.
The 8700k is not that impressive, it only provides a slight increase in single core compared to the 7700k and ryzen 1700 beats it in multi. Much of the same as we already have.
Looks like poor i7 to me. Ryzen loses 42 in single but mullers it in multi.

safe upload site

AthlonXP1800+ only posts pro-Intel and/or anti-AMD content, he's probably just run out of that stuff so posts something not very favourable to Intel and just pretends it actually is. :D

Loads of assumptions here though so we really don't know anything from this. The chip could be running anywhere between 3.7 and 4.7 GHz on a single core (based on turbo leaked numbers, which could also be wrong), so the number is pretty useless without more information. If it's running at 4.7 GHz then something is badly wrong, if it's running at 3.7 GHz then Intel have managed to improve IPC for this particular use case a significant amount. It'd still only be getting around the same score as Ryzen at 3.9 GHz though, i.e. within IPC 5%.

Caporegime
From the same link AthlonXP posted they have CoffeeLake i3 8350K specs, its base frequency is 4Ghz, you would think the i7 8700K base frequency would be higher than that, the 7700K has a base frequency of 4.2Ghz.

Soldato
From the same link AthlonXP posted they have CoffeeLake i3 8350K specs, its base frequency is 4Ghz, you would think the i7 8700K base frequency would be higher than that, the 7700K has a base frequency of 4.2Ghz.
There's also two more cores and a TDP figure to hit. Turbo clocks are how companies get around TDP requirements these days, they can make the base clock 3.7 GHz and shove the turbo at 4.7 Ghz (for example) and say "up to 4.7 GHz" in marketing. Other dubious leaks show 3.7 GHz as the base frequency, the BIOS screenshot says 3.7 GHz too and I doubt they'd have underclocked it.

Soldato
The 1.78.1 version can be downloaded here:
http://www.filepuma.com/download/cpu_z_1.78-13419/download/

My Xeon E3 1230 V2/Core i7 3770 at 3.7GHZ gives a score of 1538 and the Core i7 7700K score is from the reference list in CPU-Z.

4ThCpYD.png

The leak:

857LuQp.jpg

If you assume the MT score is at 3.7GHZ for the Core i7 8700K,if you were to scale it upto 4.2GHZ but 4 cores instead it will give you roughly 10600 points,or around a 6% IPC increase.

Now assume the ST score is at 4.3GHZ and the Core i7 7700K is at 4.5GHZ,if you scale the Core i7 8700K score upto 4.5GHZ,it actually also gives you roughly a 6% IPC increase,which matches the MT score.

Last edited:
Soldato
Right, yeah its not looking like anything revolutionary from Intel if this its right, ST it scores the same as the 4.2Ghz 7700K

Wait, some of you guys were thinking these would potentially be 'revolutionary'? :/

Hasn't it been known for like over a year that these would essentially just be revisions of Kaby Lake, which was itself just a revision of Skylake? The main selling point here is obviously the move to higher core counts. It's all still the same architecture, though.

Back
Top Bottom