Which 1st bike after passing DAS? Now purchased a bike!

Associate
Hi guys,
I've just passed my DAS course and I'm looking at getting my first bike. I really only want to spend no more than £2k if i can. I'm 34 years old so hopefully the insurance won't be too bad.

So what do you guys recommend as a first bike? I did my DAS on a MT07 but these are out of my price range.

Thanks

Man of Honour
You're going to get a different answer in every reply :D

Some people prefer naked some faired.

Some prefer twins others screaming inline 4s.

Some prefer sportsbikes others cafe racers.

Have you seen anything that tickles your fancy that might narrow it down a little?

Soldato
Go for the bike you like the look of, there isn't really a right answer. Just don't buy anything Chinese :D

Plenty of people would recommend the SV650 but personally I don't like the bike.

Soldato
Having passed my test on a IL4 (XJ6), which I didn't like the feel of at all, my first bike is a Vtwin SV650s. Love it.
Personally, I find Vtwins easy to ride we have a Ducati ST4s (996 lump) and I much prefer riding that than our YZF Yamaha. Wet clutch or dry clutch doesn't really bother me, you just need to be careful with pullway on the drys as it can be jerky.

All preferences I guess.

Have you looked at a Hornet, or something like an ER6?

Soldato
I think it is especially important to get something which will allow you to make mistakes, and something what isn't on the edge, or hard to ride. The SV I have has been great, and with any bike you have to respect it because most bikes will blast most cars on the road anyway.

After all, your first bike will be your first seed to your riding life! :)

Soldato
Stick a £1200-£2000 and 400-800cc filter on ebay and make a note of anything you like the look of. Then do an insurance quote for it, I'm willing to bet 80% of bikes will be ruled out due to insurance. You'll be looing at £4-500 fully comp for a basic 600cc naked as a new rider.

Soldato
Being a new rider means the likelyhood of dropping the bike is high, if you've got TPFT on a £2k bike you stand to be very out of pocket if the worse happens. A slow speed drop on a afully naked bike can be a few hundred to repair, trust me! :( if it's a write off ten there goes £2k, plus gear...

£1500 would be my limit for TPFT cover, it's probably only £200 more maximum from comp to TPFT.

Soldato
Honda CG125.

Don't care if you just passed DAS, learn on that first. If you get a Honda Fireblade for your first bike then it's likely you'll up in on a slab.
LOL.

Where has anyone/he said about getting a fireblade? And a 125? More dangerous than a 50-80bhp 400/500/650. There's a reason DAS courses are done on 600cc+ bikes.

Back
Top Bottom