• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
any slower than vega 56 would put them in rx 580/1060 category then, which is pointless

I don't think Vega 11/12 are going to be out this year, or they might as well have skipped RX 5xx series completely (and avoided rebadge-gate). Its probably next year spring/summer.

Associate
Why shouldn't people get excited? Anybody who has a love of hardware is excited when a new range of cards are launched. People on these forums are enthusiasts.

Then there are the people who have freesync monitors and who want better cards, they finally have an upgrade path.

And last there are people who won't buy from one brand or the other. And that's fine people are free to choose whatever brand they want, even if it limits their options. But, still, these people exist and for those that only buy AMD, they now have more choice in the higher end of things.

I'm sorry but if I had a freesync monitor, and I had the choice of getting a 1080 for £600 at launch or waiting for 15 months and get the SAME performance at twice the power consumption, I'm sure I'd enjoy the 1080 as it'll be pushing enough frames itself anyway.

And at least myself I'd class myself as an enthusiast hence me not getting excited with performance I've already seen, that's why I've got a 1080 Ti because I want the best out there, Vega just doesn't cut it (n)

Soldato
I'm sorry but if I had a freesync monitor, and I had the choice of getting a 1080 for £600 at launch or waiting for 15 months and get the SAME performance at twice the power consumption, I'm sure I'd enjoy the 1080 as it'll be pushing enough frames itself anyway.

And at least myself I'd class myself as an enthusiast hence me not getting excited with performance I've already seen, that's why I've got a 1080 Ti because I want the best out there, Vega just doesn't cut it (n)

Well, that's you. Your situation, expectations etc. don't apply to anyone else.

You are also exaggerating the power consumption figures.

And, I think you are very confused about the meaning of enthusiast. It means to have a passion for something. You don't have to have the best of the best to enjoy the hardware.

If you want the best of the best why don't you have a Titan XP card and a better CPU?

Soldato

As Melmac says, your coming across as very arrogant/elitist. Best to remember that people like different things. People get excited about different things. There's no crime in that, I don't see anyone who's planning on getting a Vega card saying that it's going to crush the 1080, or 1080ti. That's not the point.

We're just excited about the new top gaming GPU from AMD. Many of us have freesync screens, and have been served well over the last few years with our 290 series, 390 series, fury series, or rx480 series cards. Vega is a big step up from them, and the performance will increase over time due to the forward looking architecture. This is what we're excited about :)

We could pick apart your rig if we wanted to - coupling a 1080ti with a 4790k with DDR3 is highly questionable, along with getting a founders edtion 1080ti. They are damn loud at load, plus audible at idle thanks to the fans never spinning down.

Associate

You're in the 1080 camp; fair enough I get it - the 1080Ti is looking like it's going to be top dog for performance and efficency but for some of us this is all irrelevant and AMD have not (to my limited knowledge) have ever said it would compete with a 1080ti. The path you describe uses hindsight and assumption. I've had a lot of cards over the years; started with a Matrox Mystique 2D card paired with an Orchid Righteous 3D. 20 years later I've got a R290 which is starting to show its age. Sometimes I've done upgrades, sometimes I've done side grades depending on whats been happening in my life at the time (not always gamed) its not always about out and out performance. This for me is one of those times. If I wanted out and out performance I'd be spending £2K on a Gsync Screen and a pair of 1080TIs. Can't quite justify that at this point in my life.

Associate
Incredible as it sounds he's not.

TDP Vega 64 Liquid 350W
TDP 1080 Ref 180W

That's what stuns me about this release. AMD are just so far behind Nvidia.

No your not exaggerating but you are picking the most extreme examples..

Comparing a ref air 1080 to a ref water cooled Vega 64..

The air Vega 64 is 285w so yeah still bad but not as bad as your making out.

Incidentally the EVGA ftw hybrid 1080 which is basically a ref 1080 with an AIO bolted on is 215w, so yeah still more efficient.

Besides, if you pair a Vega with a RyZen CPU what you save in power on the CPU balances out the gpu ROFL

I lts all pointless arguing anyhow, nobody cares about TDP because if you did you would never OC Amy components and only buy reference designs..

Like that's ever going to happen right?

Soldato
I love how the people crying the most here won't ever buy the card even if it was matching a GTX1080TI and are just expressing fake outrage.

If it is that crap then why bother posting in a thread which is about Gibbo hinting the card is in stock?

There is the huge Vega thread for that.

FFS,I have a GTX1080 myself and I won't buy Vega 56 or 64 but you must be seriously in fantasy land if you think even GTX1070 or GTX1080 performance is common among gaming rigs.

Yes,it's rather sad AMD could not get the cards out last year but it's a first world problem.

Associate
As Melmac says, your coming across as very arrogant/elitist. Best to remember that people like different things. People get excited about different things. There's no crime in that, I don't see anyone who's planning on getting a Vega card saying that it's going to crush the 1080, or 1080ti. That's not the point.

We're just excited about the new top gaming GPU from AMD. Many of us have freesync screens, and have been served well over the last few years with our 290 series, 390 series, fury series, or rx480 series cards. Vega is a big step up from them, and the performance will increase over time due to the forward looking architecture. This is what we're excited about :)

We could pick apart your rig if we wanted to - coupling a 1080ti with a 4790k with DDR3 is highly questionable, along with getting a founders edtion 1080ti. They are damn loud at load, plus audible at idle thanks to the fans never spinning down.

What you say is fair enough and okay I apologise I guess I did come across as arrogant. Fair enough to the people who are looking forward to it, but my point is a 1080 was never far ahead of a good overclocking 980 Ti so Vega at 1080 performance isn't going to miles better than a 26 month old card whilst using more power despite 980 Ti being 28nm.

'The performance will increase over time' I'm sure that's what they always say about AMD and whilst it maybe true to a degree it's hardly game changing look at fury x for instance still trailing the 980 Ti.

Also you buy a card for TODAY not thinking oh I'll get this performance now and in 5 years I'll get 1080 Ti performance by which time gtx whatever will be out

Associate

Also as I game at 4k trust me the 4790k at 4.9ghz is running the Ti no problem (y)

Associate
Having only read the last couple of pages do we have anything other than leaks that points towards any of this being true? a lot of people dissmissed Ryzen and look how that turned out.

Soldato
Having only read the last couple of pages do we have anything other than leaks that points towards any of this being true? a lot of people dissmissed Ryzen and look how that turned out.

Any one who knew anything did not dismiss Ryzen. They knew Jim Keller was behind it.

Vega on the other hand has a monkey with no hands behind it. Unless the red sea is parted and miracles are performed it won't be any better than the FE, which already sucks balls. And it'll be far too expensive too.

Nvidia made a comment on the 7970. Something along the lines of "This is AMD's Fermi" and AMD did not listen. The 290 was hotter and guzzled even more power, and things haven't improved barring Polaris. AMD should stick to making cheap small GPUs like that, not trying to make kitchen sinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom