• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Bare in mind they're most likely covering themselves in case a user has a cheap brand PSU. A decent gold PSU (around 600?) should be able to cope just fine. But of course, we won't know the actual power usage until reviews are out...

300 air/350 water is what its meant to be, the reviewers boxes state 1000 watt minimum psu which is totally over the top.

Associate
I like the look of the limited edition cards, but if I was buying the standard reference version I'd be doing it with an eye to swapping it for a water block anyway.

I see under AdoredTV's unboxing of the liquid cooled edition he's commented on the PSU requirements - apparently he's running it on a 750W Corsair RMX.

Associate
I like the look of the limited edition cards, but if I was buying the standard reference version I'd be doing it with an eye to swapping it for a water block anyway.

I see under AdoredTV's unboxing of the liquid cooled edition he's commented on the PSU requirements - apparently he's running it on a 750W Corsair RMX.
That's good to know, I'm running a 750W as well

Caporegime
The power requirements have been vastly overblown, mainly due to third parties and amd themselves putting 1000 watts minimum psu on the boxes and web pages for the cards.

Caporegime
We need a new poll
  • I'm going to buy Vega on Monday
  • I'm waiting for all reviews first
  • I'm waiting for 3rd party cards
  • I'm giving up all hope and buying Nvidia, a console or just turning Amish

What about those of us who want reviews first but will in any case only buy a 3rd party card with something other than a crappy blower cooler? :p And those who are waiting for reviews first but then will be disappointed and buy nV or a console? :p

Or who buy Vega on impulse, then regret it and sell, subsequently to disavow gaming and turn Amish? :p

Your poll is flawed, good sir!

Yeah I'm being a **** :p

Associate
What about those of us who want reviews first but will in any case only buy a 3rd party card with something other than a crappy blower cooler? :p And those who are waiting for reviews first but then will be disappointed and buy nV or a console? :p

Or who buy Vega on impulse, then regret it and sell, subsequently to disavow gaming and turn Amish? :p

Your poll is flawed, good sir!

Yeah I'm being a **** :p

I'm actually waiting for a 3rd party Vega 56 to replace my (don't laugh) HD 5770. Its too loud (and slow). Only recently upgraded to a Ryzen and need an AMD card so I can make use of the adaptive sync on my £90 FreeSync monitor (sale price - RRP was ~£135, but still cheaper than the GSync chip itself).

Caporegime
The FE can draw 450w+ overclocked. And that was reported by buildzoid being from the 8pins only.

The fe also has more ram though which adds to that slightly, I can't see the rx versions getting near that. More than likely they'll run out of clock headroom before getting near that kind of power usage.

Soldato
The FE can draw 450w+ overclocked. And that was reported by buildzoid being from the 8pins only.

So don't overclock it then?? What are you getting,maybe 10% higher core clockspeeds - I CBA overclocking my GTX1080 since it means I need to ramp the fans up.

In the end my GTX1080 with a Xeon E3 1230 V2,in a mini-ITX system draws well under 300W at the wall.

Look at the wall figures for a system with an aftermarket GTX1080TI:

http://hexus.net/media/uploaded/2017/5/0bc903c2-6dc6-4d3b-8fa7-459133820fdd.png

This is the test system:

HEXUS Graphics Test Bench
Hardware ComponentsProduct PageProcessorIntel Core i7-6700K (overclocked to 4.4GHz)intel.comCPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15Snoctua.atMotherboardAsus Z170 Proasus.comMemoryCrucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-2400crucial.comPower Supplybe quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850Wbequiet.comPrimary Storage256GB Samsung 950 Prosamsung.comSecondary Storage512GB SK hynix Canvas SC300skhynix.comChassisFractal Design Define R5 Windowedfractal-design.comMonitorPhilips Brilliance 4K Ultra HD LED (288P6LJEB/00)philips.co.ukOperating systemWindows 10 (64-bit)microsoft.com

So just under 360W for aftermarket GTX1080TI cards at the wall with an 850W PSU,meaning its not even in its most efficient range. The PSU is platinum rated. So even at 90% efficiency,that should be under 330W internal load on the PSU.

The GTX1080TI FE system draws around 300W at the wall,which is under 300W internal load on the PSU.

The water cooled RX Vega according to PCPER with more VRAM draws roughly 100W more than a GTX1080TI FE for the card only,and the air cooled version around 50W according to PCPER.

Most people here are talking about the air cooled version AFAIK.

So at around 320W internal load for a system with the air cooled model,so I can't see why a decent full sized 550W PSU wouldn't be OK. Corsair for example powers their Corsair One model with a GTX1080TI off a SFF 500W PSU,ie,not a full sized PSU.

The water cooled version is another 50W above that so again,a decent 600W to 650W would probably be OK.

Sure if you have a massively overclocked 7900X you might need a bigger PSU,but I would argue most people are using consumer socket systems for these graphics cards.

Edit!!

This is for the FE too,which has more VRAM. I would argue that Vega is probably more VRAM bandwidth limited than core speed limited and I expect memory overclocking to help more.

Remember it has less memory bandwidth than a Fury X and a faster core.

Last edited:
Soldato
Further to my previous post,lets look at the TPU review of the GTX1080TI FE:

https://tpucdn.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080_Ti/images/power_average.png

Look at the R9 390 in the chart,it draws around 30W more on average and 15W more at peak than a GTX1080TI FE.

So if PCPER says the RX Vega 16GB air cooled card is drawing around 50W more than a GTX1080TI,it basically means its not far off R9 390X level.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
We need a new poll
  • I'm going to buy Vega on Monday
  • I'm waiting for all reviews first
  • I'm waiting for 3rd party cards
  • I'm giving up all hope and buying Nvidia, a console or just turning Amish

Yea. We should get this up :)

If it was in the poll, would be the clear winner.
  • I'm waiting for the reviews, then buying Nvidia
:p

Hahahaha. I can think of a few that would vote for this :p

Soldato
300 air/350 water is what its meant to be, the reviewers boxes state 1000 watt minimum psu which is totally over the top.

According to the killawatt plugged in, The 1800X/1080 Ti based system I'm using right now at a mates house at stock speeds pulls around 350-->400 watts in a typical gaming session, Considering the Vega 64 card is competing with the 1080 non Ti, I sincerely hope it doesn't require a 1000w PSU, That would make AMD a laughing stock.

Soldato
According to the killawatt plugged in, The 1800X/1080 Ti based system I'm using right now at a mates house at stock speeds pulls around 350-->400 watts in a typical gaming session, Considering the Vega 64 card is competing with the 1080 non Ti, I sincerely hope it doesn't require a 1000w PSU, That would make AMD a laughing stock.

If it required a 1000W psu the recommendation would be 1500W.

Recommended doesn't mean that's what it uses, it means that's what they're happy to say will cover the card and a high wattage budget for cpu/mobo/drives/fans etc and extra wattage on top just to be sure.

A decent quad core with a decent card can easily peak below 400W, is the recommended psu 400W? No, more like 600W+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom