• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to launch 6 core Coffee Lake-S CPUs & Z370 chipset 5 October 2017

Associate
And requires a new motherboard, if I was buying both I'd go AMD Ryzen.

Same, at least when you buy Ryzen now you can upgrade your CPU in 2-3 years if you wanted to (drop a Ryzen 2 straight in your AM4 mobo, for example). With Intel you're given one new gen on your expensive mobo but that which gives you absolutely zero real world gains (think Skylake to Kabylake). Conversely I think Ryzen has ample room to be improved with a new gen (base clocks, overclocking headroom, IPC) so that Ryzen+ and then the following Ryzen 2 should offer much greater improvement than we're used to with Intel.

Permabanned
I am guessing the next generation of Ryzen's will have a much better IMC and be able to run at higher memory speeds more easily.

That is what's predicted should be much closer to Intel in clock speed for that all important single threaded performance. Hopefully we should see closer to 5.0ghz but obviously we won't know for sure until we start to see some leaks.

Soldato
That is what's predicted should be much closer to Intel in clock speed for that all important single threaded performance. Hopefully we should see closer to 5.0ghz but obviously we won't know for sure until we start to see some leaks.

Should be good if turns out to be right, just a simple cpu change and better performance all round.

Permabanned
Should be good if turns out to be right, just a simple cpu change and better performance all round.
Yep if all's well that's what I'll be upgrading too, I'll make do with this i5 until then. I doubt I'll be buying an Intel chip for as long as Amd remain competitive, I'm not very keen on their business practices regardless of how well coffee lake performs.

Soldato
A week until coffelake announcement and we still have to wait to get our hands on this chip? I would go AMD, but Ryzen isn't mature enough to warrant a purchase. Maybe when Ryzen 2 launches? Really looking forward to a Intel 6 core.

Associate
I'm not all that sure what to make of Coffeelake yet, i somehow doubt it's going to be that exciting though. I think Icelake and Zen 2 will be more interesting, or maybe i should say hope instead of think :p

Coffee lake won't be that exciting and most likely won't offer much more than Kaby Lake already does. Coffee lake will bring 6C/12T CPUs but at over £300 with Ryzen still remaining a better option for price/perf at sub £190 for a 6C/12T CPU. An unlocked i5 with 6C/6T may be a good shout but again pricing will probably be north of £200. Plus AMD could always respond by further price cuts. Zen 2 and Icelake are certainly the ones to watch out for and I'd wait for those over getting a coffee lake CPU as well. I'm guessing Intel will go all out with Icelake to bring 8C/16T CPUs to the i7 range along with probably the biggest increase in IPC for Intel CPUs in a long time.

Soldato
I'd say skip Coffeelake and go right to Icelake 10nm?
Possibly, depends if you really need an upgrade. Doesn't help that Intel keep changing sockets. Probably why quite a few are going AMD.
Coffee lake won't be that exciting and most likely won't offer much more than Kaby Lake already does. Coffee lake will bring 6C/12T CPUs but at over £300 with Ryzen still remaining a better option for price/perf at sub £190 for a 6C/12T CPU. An unlocked i5 with 6C/6T may be a good shout but again pricing will probably be north of £200. Plus AMD could always respond by further price cuts. Zen 2 and Icelake are certainly the ones to watch out for and I'd wait for those over getting a coffee lake CPU as well. I'm guessing Intel will go all out with Icelake to bring 8C/16T CPUs to the i7 range along with probably the biggest increase in IPC for Intel CPUs in a long time.
Yeah Icelake is fairly exciting because it will be a new architecture, who knows how well it will perform. You could be right that they bump up to a max of 8 cores on mainstream.

Btw just noticed this on my Google news: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11722/intel-reveals-ice-lake-core-architecture-10nm-plus

Back
Top Bottom