Decent sources of meat for a man bbq?

Associate
Hi all,

I have a big green egg and love it to bits.

I have some friends coming round at the weekend and I would like to do smoke some ribs, maybe a pork but and also have steak and chicken.

I am deliberating what ribs to buy and would welcome some guiadance. These look good
https://www.tomhixson.co.uk/st-louis-ribs.html

But seem somewhat pricey?

Any thoughts on whats best to do? Similar comments for steak, planning to grill em

Soldato
Don't people just go to the butchers any more?

My local ones do great stuff, and are often cheaper than supermarkets for basic stuff, and also offer more premium products (cost more, but better).

Man of Honour
Don't people just go to the butchers any more?

My local ones do great stuff, and are often cheaper than supermarkets for basic stuff, and also offer more premium products (cost more, but better).
no, as they are either really crap or really expensive. Unless you happen to be lucky.

Soldato
no, as they are either really crap or really expensive. Unless you happen to be lucky.
I use about 4 different ones, fairly regularly - for BBQs or other 'special' meals mostly, as general meat gets added in the regular supermarket run - and they're all good. Seems unlikely that Gloucestershire has better butchers than elsewhere, but perhaps we do?

or they are only open stupid hours.
They all open on Saturdays around here.

Man of Honour
Tom Hixon is very good. As is Turner and George.

However, you may not really need that kind of quality. I often get by on cheap Tesco meat - pork shoulder, racks of ribs (ask them to look in the fridge at the back) and ox cheek are all cheap but can produce excellent results.

Man of Honour
Tom Hixon is very good. As is Turner and George.

However, you may not really need that kind of quality. I often get by on cheap Tesco meat - pork shoulder, racks of ribs (ask them to look in the fridge at the back) and ox cheek are all cheap but can produce excellent results.
you don't have shipping charge but T&G is actually pretty good value especially on ribs.

T&G depending on which ribs is £5.46-7.95kg, asda is £7.78kg
brisket is cheaper at t&G £8.20kg compared to £10kg
chicken wings however are double the price, still cheap though. But at least they have flavour £5.20kg compared to asda at £2.18kg

Supermarkets arent universally cheap like people think. Its the battery tasteless chicken and things like steak that are much cheaper.
I wish I had my big chest freezer back so I could buy online again.

Man of Honour
you don't have shipping charge but T&G is actually pretty good value especially on ribs.

T&G depending on which ribs is £5.46-7.95kg, asda is £7.78kg
brisket is cheaper at t&G £8.20kg compared to £10kg
chicken wings however are double the price, still cheap though. But at least they have flavour £5.20kg compared to asda at £2.18kg

Supermarkets arent universally cheap like people think. Its the battery tasteless chicken and things like steak that are much cheaper.
I wish I had my big chest freezer back so I could buy online again.

I hadn't compared the prices on the ribs actually so what you say sounds feasible. It's easier to buy in smaller quantities with the Supermarket approach though so I guess it depends on how many you're cooking for.

Brisket is cheaper than that at my local Tesco iirc (£8 per kg maybe?) but to be honest it's so far away from the quality of what you'd get from a decent butcher that I'd still not recommend the supermarket version. It is possible to get a nice result but it's often going to turn out much worse.

edit: Ox Cheek is about my favourite super market meat. Even the 'worst' quality is incredibly flavoursome and has tons of connective tissue that turns out amazing when braised/smoked.

Back
Top Bottom