Useful Freeware Utilities

Soldato
I use classic shell to make things simpler. Every new version of Windows they add more ways of aliasing things that just clutter up Windows Explorer. Libraries I delete and create a couple of my own. Win 10 is the worse it creates duplicates of drives, folder and who knows what else. I've gone back to 8 on my main laptop for that reason. Much less clutter, and use classic shell.

Soldato
I use classic shell to make things simpler. Every new version of Windows they add more ways of aliasing things that just clutter up Windows Explorer. Libraries I delete and create a couple of my own. Win 10 is the worse it creates duplicates of drives, folder and who knows what else. I've gone back to 8 on my main laptop for that reason. Much less clutter, and use classic shell.

So do I, not sure why they MS changed it anyway... Windows 7+ is when I started not liking it... I understand Windows 10 is for mobile also, but I wish is would install the normal classic shell for the desktop, I am sure the tech exist for a OS auto sensing the hardware it is going on..

Useful list! MakeMKV is great to turn physical DVD movies to digital formats.

Awesome, I have all the sessions of Rocko's modern life & Angry Beavers (Two cartoons I loved growing up), I will do them, thanks... "Did I give Rocko a french frie, no, because I could tell he wasn't hungry"... Oh the memories...

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
As SpeedFan doesn't seem to find my Z170X's fan and voltage sensors, I wanted to try something else, equally low on resources and simple, free... So found OpenHardwaremonitor. Seems to work perfectly, and has a neat widget that can be locked on the desktop.

OpenHardwareMonitor.jpg

Associate
As SpeedFan doesn't seem to find my Z170X's fan and voltage sensors, I wanted to try something else, equally low on resources and simple, free... So found OpenHardwaremonitor. Seems to work perfectly, and has a neat widget that can be locked on the desktop.

Another vote for Open HWM . . The widget is superb, and you can configure which metrics are shown on it.

Associate
Nice tight little program that is actually really useful. However, the program does not display any info on ASUS Maximus IX Hero LGA1151 z270 mobo.

Using Core Temp v1.7 to get temps instead.

Last edited:
Soldato
http://windowsreport.com/windows-update-minitool-windows-10/

Control your updates better with this tool. When it checks for updates, it doesn't automatically install them (including ones like video drivers you may not want), and you can hide the ones you don't want, and select the ones you do want. If not sure about which Mode to set in Automatic Updates in the bottom-left area of the tool's window, try Notification Mode.

Could do with some feedback from Windows 10 Home users (I'm on Pro).

Apologies if this tool has already been posted here (TL;DR).

Associate

That's GREAT! Got the widget displaying CPU temps, RAM usage, GPU temp and usage. Used 2 separate programs previously.

Soldato
Random question, but why is "GUI for JkDefrag" marked as particularly good, when My Defrag isn't? it's the same software they just changed the name to My Defrag a few years ago.

Associate
That was my point. It looks like after the name was changed the software was re-added to the list under the new name.

Well why not. I personally do not see a problem with that. I cannot see the writers/authors monitoring this site or any other site for that matter to see if it has received favourable or non favourable reviews. Why worry a about a name change?

Soldato
Well why not. I personally do not see a problem with that.
Because the list is messed up as a result? It's recommending an older revision of the software over the newer revision of the same software, it's like recommending ATi graphics cards over AMD graphics cards. Or Skydrive over Onedrive.

I was just trying to point out the error that's all.

Back
Top Bottom