Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Caporegime
Sorry i missed your post. I moved onto the 100mb VM package recently but my linksys isn't even gigabit on the ports so not getting more than 30mb.

I will be connecting my main pc and htpc via ethernet to router, but will also be using wireless for devices and stuff. £300 would be pushing it a bit for me personaly. I mainly want reliable speeds and little wifi drop outs and atleast some router config settings for stuff like port forwarding and dhcp configuring.

Again i'm not too technical with all this stuff and was hoping to just buy a half decent router to plug into SH2 for reliable internet speeds. My SH2 is quite old so not sure its ac.

i just got a dir 868L off the members market for £30 for a B1 revision that was brand new. amazon are selling the new C1 revision for £50 brand new.

anyway to the point. flash it with dd-wrt and it spanks most routers using official firmware. i've had to tweak a few settings but nothing major. i used online guides, etc. i now in wifi get 200MB download and 12MB upload with a 9ms ping over wifi upstairs at the other side of the house. i also get full speed over wifi on my phone in the bedroom above the room the router is in.

also the router isn't even in an ideal spot it's in a corner with 2 walls beside it.

basically get yourself a cheap router that is compatible with dd-wrt, dd-wrt turns a £50 router into a £200 one.

Soldato
It has been suggested to me that I can sign up in someone else's name to get a nice new customer discount. Has anyone done this before? Were you without internet for long?

Soldato
Hi folks,

I'm hoping to get some help as I'm not too au fait with the networking side of technology. I've got a basic virgin 50MB package with their standard router but the wireless speed from it is garbage. wired PC I'm getting 49.9 (basically full speed) wheras the wireless speed is around 4MB or 5MB.

I was thinking would another router work if I bought one and just binned or put their virgin router away? If so what is a router I can get that will work? £100 or less ideally.

Also is there any way to have my firestick on one band and perhaps put mobile phone wireless, laptop etc on another band so the tv streaming isn't buffering like a dog like it is just now. Would a new router improve my wireless speeds? Firestick hasn't an ethernet slot so I'm stuck with wireless.

Router is in my livingroom about 10 feet from the TV so distance isn't an issue.

Soldato
Hi folks,

I'm hoping to get some help as I'm not too au fait with the networking side of technology. I've got a basic virgin 50MB package with their standard router but the wireless speed from it is garbage. wired PC I'm getting 49.9 (basically full speed) wheras the wireless speed is around 4MB or 5MB.

I was thinking would another router work if I bought one and just binned or put their virgin router away? If so what is a router I can get that will work? £100 or less ideally.

Also is there any way to have my firestick on one band and perhaps put mobile phone wireless, laptop etc on another band so the tv streaming isn't buffering like a dog like it is just now. Would a new router improve my wireless speeds? Firestick hasn't an ethernet slot so I'm stuck with wireless.

Router is in my livingroom about 10 feet from the TV so distance isn't an issue.

First, do you really mean 4 or 5 MB (capitals) per second wifi? That actually is close to equivalent to 50Mb (lower case b). Which Virgin hub do you have? It will be printed on it somewhere, but a description and/or photo would help if not. Yes you can set the wireless into two separate bands.

Associate
I have been a VM customer since the days of Telewest and for since Thursday August 10th I've not been able to access my emails on my blueyonder email account on my devices that it is set up on. We are currently abroad and are expecting important emails so I tried logging into my virgin media and our blueyonder email addresses have vanished so I can't even see the emails on their either. That explains why our devices are not getting emails and I even entered all the info again on the devices again and it pops up saying wrong username or password. So back home our daughter could not get emails coming through on the PC either. I cannot think why the blueyonder accounts no longer appear as we sign into my virgin media with our blueyonder account email address. It looks to me like VM have somehow deleted them so I'll be on to them when I get home next week, very annoyed to say the least.

Soldato
Hi folks,

Assuming you're getting 4-5mb on wireless vs. 50mb wired, try changing the wireless channel in the router settings. I did recently at my parents at it jumped from 30mb to 50mb (still not full speed at 100mb despite it not being that far from the router). This is the asus 56u router which is flashed.

Soldato
My broadband in our area has been down for 2 days now and still no fix. Virgin say they are working on the issue and an engineer is on site. The main box is just outside my house and no engineer has been to it yet. Usual crap service and lies from Virgin it seems. When I call they just say it will be fixed by 11pm and I should not worry from an Indian call centre.

Fed up with them now and tempted to look elsewhere....

Soldato
Changed from 20mb Sky to Virgin Media 300mb and so far very happy. Them download speeds make me smile :)

How long did it take for your installation to take place once you placed your order? The reason I asked is that I'm currently moving from BT to Virgin Media but there's a snag with my council. My installation date came and passed earlier this week. Turns out that Virgin need permission from my council to dig up my driveway (which is private land except for a few yards where they will plug me into the network). I'm a little frustrated as Virgin couldn't give me a new installation date until the council give them the green light to carry out the work.

Soldato
Still out for me 3rd day now. It just keeps changing the time to later for the fix time. Still not seen anyone from Virgin media at the box. Awful service if you call they just say it will be fixed soon and not to worry.

Great when it works but dreadful when it does not. Fed up speaking to an Indian call centre and lies about it being fixed.

Looking to see what else I can get now.

Soldato
Still out for me 3rd day now. It just keeps changing the time to later for the fix time. Still not seen anyone from Virgin media at the box. Awful service if you call they just say it will be fixed soon and not to worry.

Great when it works but dreadful when it does not. Fed up speaking to an Indian call centre and lies about it being fixed.

Looking to see what else I can get now.
the issue may not be at the green box on your street

Soldato
the issue may not be at the green box on your street

Nope apparently the cable has been cut on the main road according to them. Nothing there either so not sure what they are on about. Latest update is fixed by 14:00 but I doubt that will happen.

The last time thus happened nothing was fixed until Monday when a Virgin man turned up at the box and it was fixed within 10 mins. Just wish they would stop saying an engineer is on site when they are clearly not....

Soldato
Internet is back on now at a warpspeed 235kbps. Called and now I need an engineer to come and fix the speed issue which is nothing to do with the disconnect issue apparently. An engineer cannot come until Thursday next week...

I give up...

Soldato
Yes the basic VIVID200 package has a 12Mbps upload. The VIVID200 Gamer (now replaced by the 300/350 tiers) had a 20Mbps upload and no restrictions. Now that distinction of 20Mbps+ upload and no management/restrictions goes to the 300/350 tiers (it varies by area which one you can get).

that's rather annoying - i upgraded to 200 gamer for the unlimited upload six months ago or so!

Caporegime
read at least 1-2 pages of the thread - this post was made literally just before yours

Hi folks,

i just got a dir 868L off the members market for £30 for a B1 revision that was brand new. amazon are selling the new C1 revision for £50 brand new.

anyway to the point. flash it with dd-wrt and it spanks most routers using official firmware. i've had to tweak a few settings but nothing major. i used online guides, etc. i now in wifi get 200MB download and 12MB upload with a 9ms ping over wifi upstairs at the other side of the house. i also get full speed over wifi on my phone in the bedroom above the room the router is in.

also the router isn't even in an ideal spot it's in a corner with 2 walls beside it.

basically get yourself a cheap router that is compatible with dd-wrt, dd-wrt turns a £50 router into a £200 one.

Back
Top Bottom