Amazon Prime Video not working in HS?

Soldato
As title. I upgraded to HS beta 3 yesterday as I wanted to play with it. I have everything backed up to iCloud in real time, and the machine (a mid 2012 MBP) is basically a thin client with no local data. So, easy enough to wipe the OS and get everything back quickly if needed.

Safari 11 is nice, and has a much faster javascript engine than even Chrome now. Unfortunately I just discovered that Amazon Prime Video won't play in this browser. I'm not entirely sure if it's a Safari 11 thing or an Amazon thing (doubtful, as it's just a HTML5 player?) but I submitted feedback to the mothership just in case. After clicking a video, the player screen loads as normal but the circular progress/loading icon just spins indefinitely with no video.

Has anyone else encountered this? Google doesn't throw up any results which means either I'm the first person to notice (again, doubtful) or perhaps something is wrong. I've tried with all extensions disabled, though I only had a few anyway. No change. Trying in Chrome or Firefox allows the video to work perfectly every time, so it's just Safari 11. :(

ETA: That's weird. Movies play OK, and one or two TV shows do. Most TV shows, however, do not. Lucifer, Preacher, Le Mans and others all fail. Every movie I've tried plays OK, as does The Last Tycoon (TV). I'd say it's maybe Amazon at fault but they all play perfectly in Chrome. Could someone with Prime and HS give it a shot for me please and see if it's the same for you?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ad blocker built in somewhere would be my educated guess.

The HS version of Safari 11 has built in anti-cross-site-tracking, but I don't think that's at fault. At least, not since movies and some TV shows work, but not others. There are definitely no other ad blockers enabled on the machine, and as I said Chrome, Firefox and Vivaldi work fine. Hopefully Amazon/Apple work it out soon.

Back
Top Bottom