• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: The Vega Review Thread.

What do we think about Vega?

• What has AMD been doing for the past 1-2 years?

• It consumes how many watts and is how loud!!!

• It is not that bad.

• Want to buy but put off by pricing and warranty.

• I will be buying one for sure (I own a Freesync monitor so have little choice).

• Better red than dead.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Soldato

Do they?

Their conclusion that there's a height difference is with a really awful picture comparison where it's not even lined up properly.

Would take a few seconds per chip with digital calipers to put numbers to it.

Associate
We are working on a statement and plan to issue something in the following days.

Note, the statement won't come from me, I'm part of AMD GCC, it will come from AMD PR.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate what you say is limited by company policy.

When any company has to spend days working on a simple answer to a simple question, we know as night follows day, obfuscation is coming.

Associate
We are working on a statement and plan to issue something in the following days.

Note, the statement won't come from me, I'm part of AMD GCC, it will come from AMD PR.

with all due respect to AMD

I waited since before the 1080 launch for vega, believing the hype from the company.

I wasted a then brand new skylake build by waiting, I expected to pay 1080 prices or less for above 1080 ti perfoemance.

I was willing to pay 500 for above 1080 ti performance or maybe 350 for 1080 performance.

you then brought a card out that is a 1070 ti and where charging 500 i think, ocuk made it 450 i believe, i stayed up hours after a 12 hour night shift for this release, saw that price, checked fps counts and knew id wasted a very long time by trusting your companies hype.

I thought to myself perhaps it will drop to 350 or 300, you then tell us that the ocuk sale was lower than normal and even the normal is having 100 added to it.

I was always like.....nvidia ....nah....but now im kinda thinking the opposite, almost going against my planned threadripper build for sub par intel hardware (congrats on that last sentence being factual btw) because of this offensively laughable gpu release, unless thisis marketed at miners, I really just cannot understand you releasing a 980 ti level card 3 years after the 980 ti came out and charging more than doible what you should.

its like pro evolution soccer 2014 and fifa 2018 pre order both being 60 quid in gamestop, its quite frankly lunacy.

Associate

Hard times for you AMDMatt. Hard times... With a two day statement in the works it seems AMD are going to make things confusing and not answer a simple question with a yes or a no, which is all that is required. A simple yes or no reply doesn't take two days!

Associate
This AMD mess will do us all a favour, a little honesty in the gpu market is required. Smoke, mirrors and miners have been used to inflate prices.

All we need to know is a product rrp. If Vega 64 is £550 and retailers are selling them for 600. We know that AMD mislead reviewers and public to the price. Plus retailers are making their normal profit margin and creaming an extra 9% off the back of supply and demand shortages. Which personally I don't have an issue with, as long as it's clear we can make an informed decision to purchase or not.

Soldato

I waited since before the 1080 launch for vega, believing the hype from the company.

I wasted a then brand new skylake build by waiting, I expected to pay 1080 prices or less for above 1080 ti perfoemance.

I was willing to pay 500 for above 1080 ti performance or maybe 350 for 1080 performance.

you then brought a card out that is a 1070 ti and where charging 500 i think, ocuk made it 450 i believe, i stayed up hours after a 12 hour night shift for this release, saw that price, checked fps counts and knew id wasted a very long time by trusting your companies hype.

I thought to myself perhaps it will drop to 350 or 300, you then tell us that the ocuk sale was lower than normal and even the normal is having 100 added to it.

I was always like.....nvidia ....nah....but now im kinda thinking the opposite, almost going against my planned threadripper build for sub par intel hardware (congrats on that last sentence being factual btw) because of this offensively laughable gpu release, unless thisis marketed at miners, I really just cannot understand you releasing a 980 ti level card 3 years after the 980 ti came out and charging more than doible what you should.

its like pro evolution soccer 2014 and fifa 2018 pre order both being 60 quid in gamestop, its quite frankly lunacy.

TBF to AMD i dont ever recall them saying they were planning to release a GPU the performed above a TI and only cost 500.
Waiting is always a gamble its why i dont usually bother as there is always the next thing to come out your waiting for.

Associate

You make it sound like AMD drove to your house and held you hostage til the Vega was released, your expectations of price and performance were YOUR expectations, nowhere did i see AMD officially state it was going to beat a 1080ti at half the price, yet you still seem to think it was written in the stars by AMD that this would be the case?

You should have done what i and many others did, buy a 1070 to tide you over til the true picture was revealed and then decide, for me personally im going to get a 3rd party Vega 56, but i made the decision to buy Nvidia to tide me over (first time in 12 years) til i could see how Vega actually was.

Coming to these forums to blame AMD for this launch is laughable at best, AMD do not own these forums OCUK does, if you want to let AMD know how you feel im pretty sure you can send them an email or something.

Nobody but you set your expectations, look in the mirror firstly i say.

Soldato
Such pre-judging and by judging I mean looking to find fault in any communication.

AMD promised the 480 at $200£175 and it was, briefly, it certainly didn't end the day that price. Multiple hikes the same day iirc. Was never seen at that price ever again.

So when exactly the same thing happens with Vega its shocking news and someone needs to be crucified. Apparently.

Not that it really matters since the cards are sold out at all prices but there's a blame game to play and all kinds of irrational anger about various things is being offloaded.

Associate
So when exactly the same thing happens with Vega its shocking news and someone needs to be crucified. Apparently

I just want to know the manufacturers rrp, exactly as I would any other piece of electrical equipment I buy. It would be odd if you bought anything for serious money and didn't know what it was.

Soldato
To be fair AMD did suggest it would smash Volta. It can't even smash maxwell based upon current performance with the 56 matching an oc 980ti. That isn't great.

Instead we got a series of events at obscure world locations with hidden cards showcasing absolutely nothing. Smoke and mirrors were used to cover up the performance, followed by reports of savings if you factor in an expensive monitor. It was so clear by this they didnt have an ace product up their sleeves.

The pricing fiasco hasn't helped. But I'll be the first to admit it's miners pushing up prices. Unfortunately it's looking more likely we will have one gaming gpu vendor in the future and one mining gpu vendor.

Associate
Such whinging over a piece of hardware. People believe their own hype and apart from the whole 'Poor Volta' fiasco I didn't expect the 64 to be anywhere near the 1080ti

People wanting 1080ti performance for 1080/70 price is quite frankly laughable.

Soldato

If you need to work on a statement for something as simple as the RRP then you messed up.

Why put pricing in the press slides if it’s not correct or temporary?

Back
Top Bottom