x299 OCing

Associate
OK, so i know everyone is going mental for Ryzen, but some of us are still on the blue team.

so wondering what people are doing with their x cpus.

i've been playing around with mine and have it stable at 4800mhz with 1.23v running 4Ghz cl17 ram, nice enough. so looked at the cache a bit...

its currently at 32x and in auto mode that puts the mesh/cache volts at 1.2. which basically adds a good 10c to the load temps(compared to 30x in auto - 1.1v). however it seems to be ok with 1v manual and that makes it run vastly cooler.

Just wondering what everyone else is running?

Associate
OP
update, anything below 0.95 makes it crash quickly, but damn thats a large undervolt and has a fantastic effect on the temps. totally worth doing it if you are finding it toasty

Associate
OP
As the tumbleweed rolls past this thread. how does this look? Got the quad channel installed today, and had to back down the freq a bit but lowered timings too.

Capture.png

Last edited:
Associate
Did you find setting the mesh/cache voltage manually reduce temps from the motherboards auto setting?

What temps are you you getting?

Cheers

Associate
OP
Did you find setting the mesh/cache voltage manually reduce temps from the motherboards auto setting?

What temps are you you getting?

Cheers
reduced cache voltage to 1v from the default 1.1/1.2 which made a good difference. about 40-60 in games depending. avx stress tests = way too hot, but i dont use avx for my normal stuff, so that can wait till its delidded, which it defo needs..

Associate
OP
Nah its fine with the stress tests, just maxes out the temp on the package, core temps are okish. but i dont use many or any avx during normal use. so they would run at full speed.

yes the gpu is in the loop, but the deltas are so high its clear that the stock intel thermal paste isnt doing its job very well

Associate
OP
yeah so put the cache back to 32x with the quad channel memory and it really is a hot mofo of a chip. To be honest feel a bit let down that it isn't soldered, complete waste and annoying that we have to delid ourselves.

Its a beast cpu of course, but there we go.

In games it sits at mid 50s to mid 60s with the current oc of 4.8 / 3.8 ddr4 and 32 cache. which is ok, but avx stress tests, no. (not using any offset of course)

Associate
OP
ok, just reduced input voltage from the auto (1.95) to 1.8v and, wait for it, load temps dropped by 20c. vrm temps went from 77 to 67 also.. that's kind of mental. would be really nice if anyone else out there could verify this with their own setup??

ok, so after testing, its stable BUT, the performance seems to have halfed.. cinebench score at least. how bizzare ey?

Associate
OP
settled with input at auto as anything else does nothing (above) or massively reduces performance (below) managed to trim System Agent and vccio down to 1.15v with CL17 4ghz ram @ 104GB/s Read/Write and 94,000MB/s Copy with 50ns latency

Associate
That is exciting. I'll have a play with that tomorrow - see if there is a sweet spot between input voltage and bench scores.

What stress tests are you using? The usual Realbench, OCCT, non AVX prime etc?

Associate
OP
Its a bit crazy, no idea why it would reduce performance! for sure though System agent and VCCIO need to be bumped up from auto for 4ghz ram (on my asus prime anyway)

This hot chip has really given a new level of tweaking every last degree out of it though hehe.

using aida64, multiple runs of cinebench and games. Used realbench once or twice. One thing though, stressing just fpu at these clocks = scary. Good fun tweaking though!

Associate
OP
another note for anyone looking at reducing temps, the uncore voltage offset is selectable in the bios (in addition to the cache setting), bit weird as its referred to as system agent in some utilities (which has a separate voltage setting). i had it on auto which put a +.49v on it, turns out i can drop that to +.31 with the memory at 4ghz, losing a few degrees in the process. any lower gets memory errors in aida.

Associate
OP
repasted using the method debaur or however you spell his name suggests, i.e. spread not dot or line (used line before) temps are a good 6-8 degrees less during a cinebench run. happy days

Soldato
These are my results after receiving a new BIOS from Asus this week as I was having some serious issues with the newest Corsair LPX memory.

7800X - 4.6Ghz @ 1.175v
7820X - 4.5Ghz @ 1.150v
7900X - 4.4Ghz @ 1.120 - 1.125v

BTW I am currently running 2 x 7800X, 2 x 7900X and 1 x 7820X and NONE are delidded.

All with 2 offset with the AVX and AVX512. Temps are around the 80Degrees mark on all systems with Corsair H100 with reasonably quiet manual fan profile.

Associate
OP
Just overclocked the two cores intel say are the 'best' (marked with an asterisk in the bios) to 5ghz. Very nice setup actually as windows now recognizes the 'best' cores and uses them for single thread stuff. and in multi thread they still run at 5ghz. nice little bump in performance!

single thread in cinebench up to 223, multi-thread up about 30 points and should help a lot with games

Capture.png

Back
Top Bottom