VEGA IS FINALLY HERE, ITS IN STOCK ALONG WITH SOME EPIC BUNDLES & FREESYNC DEALS!!

Permabanned
The SEP is $599 and $699 excluding tax.
Thanks for making it clear :) what is sugested price NOW. Lest face it with AMDs price atm no sane person would buy it. Maybe if they had fantastic FS monitor and are on 290/390 not sure if id jump from fury x. To me price is where vega fails hard. Could deal with high poqer consumption and average performance but not for asking price.

Is VEGA 56 still on 'target' for launch date price of £349?

As Fury X owner really finding it hard to justify VEGA 56 at any higher and especially VEGA 64. The AIO is also a great plus on that card which will mean WC is route I'd go with VEGA, even if OC headroom not there to justify cost I reckon I'll notice the noise of air blower.
Where You got 350 quid from??

Associate
Where You got 350 quid from??

From this thread, posted few times by Gibbo, below is 1st instance IIRC and next few pages have more ;) .

YOU ARE WRONG!

AMD said $499 launch price! We hit there launch price and sold all their launch allocation and more at the launch price!

Launch is over so there is now no stand alone black part, they are now all sold with games starting at $599, its not OcUK, it is the launch plan AMD made, we stuck by it whereas many did not.

Just like on August 28th AMD will launch VEGA 56 at $399, so probably £349 UK, this will also be a launch price for limited volume. One the set launch volume is sold out the price will go up, no doubt to $449-$499 but unconfirmed yet.

Associate
Question on the AMD packs here.
I'm very interested in these, as i have an entire new PC build in the works to replace my elderly FX 8120 one :p

Initially i was going to keep my GPU and just upgrade everything else (currently an R9 390 8GB, brought from here actually) But my little brother has expressed interest in a new GPU too (at the moment he has my very old PC, AMD x4 955 + HD 6970) so i'm thinking i might just go nuts, upgrade everything all at once so he can have my entire current PC.

The vega 64 + 1700X pack looks quite nice, (though i'd prefer one without the CPU cooler as i'd like a 240mm AIO one) but might be a bit too pricey still. Any clues as to what the Radeon red pack will include and when it'll be due? A slightly cheaper vega 56 variant might be right up my alley :)
Hoping you'll have something nice as the only other UK retailer listed is scan and i cannot see any vega/mobo/cpu bundles there at all, just the two games.

Associate
The 56 will be a good card imo, but I'd wait for the AiB ones.

Sounds good in theory, but the £349 early adopter price will probably be the best value for a while from the looks of things (and the only appropriate price IMO). Also, if you're planning to watercool (and Vega seems to like watercooling) then the reference model is a strong contender.

Associate
Sounds good in theory, but the £349 early adopter price will probably be the best value for a while from the looks of things (and the only appropriate price IMO). Also, if you're planning to watercool (and Vega seems to like watercooling) then the reference model is a strong contender.

Agree, but I'm really liking a MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X this time.

Ref blower on VEGA has no value to me. MSI card in a way has a ~£100 block with it which I'd need to buy for VEGA.

So in theory if I did best price compare with GTX 1080 having block price deducted it's:-

i) VEGA 56 ~£350, only launch day, limited stock.
ii) MSI GTX 1080 ~£400, available here and another source.
iii) VEGA 64 ~£450, which chance of getting now are 0 IMO.

The GTX 1080 is sitting between the 2, could be argued VEGA 64 and it trade blows, so in this price context it seems better buy is GTX 1080.

I was all up for VEGA 56, but no longer I think, unless I crack at last minute :p. This 'sway' is down to how VEGA doesn't have full features enabled in driver AFAIK. So perhaps it would have more in the tank later. Dunno if I wanna wait for AMD FineWine.

*** edit ***

£380 for VEGA 56, ahh well time to go green IMO ;) .

Last edited:
Associate
It never was 350.

@Gibbo is there actual any chance there will be a 350 one anytime soon? Got my money ready, stuck my nose up at 380 because I'm stubborn.
My mistake, but for 30 quid over 350, a 290 upgrade was in dire need for vr to be fair and I'm not risking a price increase due to improved drivers later on and Miners going nuts. 400 and It would be a different story. I still agree 350 is the price it should be be though.
On that note does anybody know if the 12v rail will be OK on a corsair hx650 bronze in the meantime? Seems it can provide 648w on the 12v rail from research and with the power saving mode 210 on the 56 is less than a 290 draw so I presume all should be OK.
Edit 20.. Sidenote cpu is 6700k stock volts 4.4, Asus hero v8, 16gb 3200 ddr4 corsair ram. 8 noctua industrial 2k rpm 3 140, 5 120.

Last edited:
Soldato
It never was 350.

@Gibbo is there actual any chance there will be a 350 one anytime soon? Got my money ready, stuck my nose up at 380 because I'm stubborn.

Given the launch price of Vega 64, the expected price for Vega 56 should have been £370, it is the equivalent to $399 price + tax.

I also was going to buy only at £350 but after actually doing the math I realised that it is not going to retail for £350 unless £ appreciates to around 1.37 mark from current 1.29 level.

Caporegime
Given the launch price of Vega 64, the expected price for Vega 56 should have been £370, it is the equivalent to $399 price + tax.

I also was going to buy only at £350 but after actually doing the math I realised that it is not going to retail for £350 unless £ appreciates to around 1.37 mark from current 1.29 level.

Oh, based on dollar price, I can't argue against the 380 pound price after conversion. But I'm not prepared to pay that for this card. I'll wait until they're available at a lower price point though.

Soldato
I was watching sterling and there was a dream of far better then 1.37 but it failed its test mid summer and fell back. Its recovered some, Im not optimistic as the trend is negative for years now so it takes a lot to turn inertia, it might gain if the whole EU politics thing wasnt sitting on it
So far as I can tell from review the 56 is the better value at prices both cards sold this week but people get 64 in hope it'll be the one that gains most in the long run as the 56 is capped to stop it being too good. But that alone says a lot, the 56 is too good where as 64 probably needs god tier cooling to excel or some clever trick maybe AIB will figure it out

OcUK Staff
OP
It never was 350.

I am afraid not, $399 is SEP for stand alone card. $399 / 1.29 = £309.30 + 20% TAX = £371.00
OcUK has stand alone cards from £379.99 which is slightly above SEP for stand alone, were not making a particular large amount of money either, in fact we make a huge loss but AMD are rebating us to hit the SEP at which point we make minimal margin and our sell out is capped, but its quite a big number so the stand alone product should be available for several more days yet and of course AMD could choose to extend the support to keep the stand alone pack going. Just like they have done on the VEGA 64, which has an SEP of $499 and OcUK is currently £469.99

Its not simple, its quite complicated, in a perfect world we'd just buy product at the lowest price possible and then add our margin which on components is typically 5-15% (yes margins are slim) don't believe us just see our accounts information publicly available. AMD have chosen to do things differently by having stand alone packs which the only way to hit the SEP is via back-end rebates which are capped and to then have regular packs with games that we essentially make 5% on and is considered normal.

The only way £350 happens is if sales slow, GBP strengthens and I make next to no profit and only on the basis of AMD support continuing then maybe £350 could be hit, but I don't see GBP strength improving drastically, I don't see sales slowing and as such I feel that £350 is simply impossible.

Right now even with AMD support to sell at £350 would lose us money!

Soldato

Well GBPUSD is 1.36 right now, who would have thought. Does this mean AIB Vega cards will be cheaper? Vega 56 should be around £350 mark with current exchange rate. With BoE hinting on hikes and tapering of asset purchases GBP looks to keep the gains I reckon.

Associate
Well GBPUSD is 1.36 right now, who would have thought. Does this mean AIB Vega cards will be cheaper? Vega 56 should be around £350 mark with current exchange rate. With BoE hinting on hikes and tapering of asset purchases GBP looks to keep the gains I reckon.

I'd have thought it's much like petrol prices, or energy prices - quick to go up, but slow to come down (if ever).

Soldato
October allegedly there could be aftermarket, designs have been sighted so maybe its in production. They may be struggling to get a USP for their brand design, there is a Nano design out there somewhere with no timescale. I'll wildly guess December but there is a whole range of Vega related hardware due even for Mac

I'm slightly lost on why 1.36 is a barrier but wait for Sterling to rise above that before we hope for positive gains, its track record is poor for many years and declining. Interest rates by BOE would be one clue

Back
Top Bottom