How many people using only 8GB RAM on Ryzen?

Soldato
Best to go for 16GB ( 2 x 8GB), it is very expensive at the moment but worth getting. Make sure it is 3200 or faster Samsung B Die based RAM for best performance and Ryzen compatibility. Ryzen performs a lot better with faster RAM, going from 2133 to 3200 RAM is supposed to be about a 40% performance increase depending on what you are doing.

I play BF1 and it is best on 16GB or you get FPS drops etc. as less is cached in RAM with 8GB.

Soldato
OP
I'm looking at two options:

1) Team Dark Pro C16 stuff (I can't really justify $184 for the C14 :( , so this is $154) . Does anyone know if all the Dark Pro is Samsung B-die? TDPRD416G3200HC16ADC01

2) G.Skill Ripjaw C16 - no idea on the IC's. F4-3200C16D-16GVGB ($126)

So it looks like the ripjaw is Samsung E-die and dual sided. Bum.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Dark Pro 8Pack 3200mhz is C14 Samsung B die only and hence the higher premium for the high binned chip. The C16 Dark Pro is Hynix. If I was you for great OC and compatibility I would pay the extra for the B Die.

Ryzen prefers high and tight mems for performance,

Soldato
OP
Dark Pro 8Pack 3200mhz is C14 Samsung B die only and hence the higher premium for the high binned chip. The C16 Dark Pro is Hynix. If I was you for great OC and compatibility I would pay the extra for the B Die.

Ryzen prefers high and tight mems for performance,

lol... seems like this is slowly beginning to be the most reasonable option. Darn you lightening my wallet 8Pack!! lol

OcUK Staff
It was designed to be exactly that in terms of SPD, IC, PCB everything. IKt worked before the latest updates on pretty much all boards so always working now on all boards 16gb often 32gb too.

Soldato
OP
Caved and got 16gb.

I couldn't really afford the c14 dark pro, so in the end settled for some GEIL Evo X C16 Ryzen model 16gb stuff. Not the best timings and certain tests seem to show it being behind in certain circumstances. But, is Ryzen compatible and is apparently b-die so see what I can do oc'ing wise. I don't really care about the rgb stuff on it.

Should be enough for software development, virtual machines etc for the moment and when I get myself another gpu, enough for gaming.

Honestly wish I could have got the c14 team dark pro, but life first, I got bills to pay lol.

EDIT: Hopefully this thread will just die, as it went quickly off the original topic due to 8GB seemingly not being enough.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom