*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
SGE does give you the option to download but it also grants two extra slots for devices. It is a bit clunky and, imo, should give live TV much quicker than it does.

Thanks for the reply :). Sorry just re-read my post and noticed I sounded grumpy. I didn't mean to come across like that.

I think a Sky Q Mini box would be better in the long run. I can just plug it into my main computer monitor via HDMI and I can plug some headphones into the monitor to watch proper live TV while working on my PC with my other two computer monitors. It might be more expensive but I think it would probably be the better solution in the long run.

Associate
So just had sky q installed ( thanks again misschief :p ) and I'm having an issue with pin requirement.
Does anyone else have to enter a pin every time they flick to a movie channel ?
I've turned off all parental controls but getting asked constantly , can see this getting tiresome quickly

Caporegime
So just had sky q installed ( thanks again misschief :p ) and I'm having an issue with pin requirement.
I've turned off all parental controls but getting asked constantly , can see this getting tiresome quickly

Sadly an OFCOM requirement to allow 12 and 15 certificate films before the watershed. It's a better option than having channels filled with Lassie comes Home.

The other option is download them to your planner from on Demand. No PIN then unless it's an 18 cert.

TJM

TJM

Associate
If you have a Harmony remote, set the long key press for OK/Select to input a sequence (your PIN). Works well for me.

Soldato
Will I be able to use my existing dish for install on Friday or will they have to put a new one up?

Just thinking I'll have to move the fish pond to give him direct access to the dish before he gets here.

Caporegime
Will I be able to use my existing dish for install on Friday or will they have to put a new one up?

Just thinking I'll have to move the fish pond to give him direct access to the dish before he gets here.
Likely they'd prefer to use the existing dish and change the LNB but if it's an old dish they might need to change it anyway.

Soldato
I've got Sky Q with Sky Fibre Max and I think I'm getting pretty meh speeds..

Speedtest shows around 20mb although for the first few weeks after installation it was more like 50-60mb and it's been steadily declining ever since.

I just ran a test through the sky site which tells me I'm getting 64mb but it turns out that's testing the speed to my local exchange not any website.. feels slightly disingenuous but I can see the conversation in front of me now along the lines of it not being Sky's responsibility beyond the exchange but for example I've had BT fibre a couple of times (different houses to be fair but this is a relatively new build in a city centre) and used to regularly be able to show 50mb+ on speedtest.

Obviously considering the forum we're on this isn't my first rodeo, I've got a collection of machines in the house and the one closest to the router and hard wired to it is pulling 20mb max off speedtest.

Is there any avenue for me to discuss this with Sky or am I going to wind up getting wound up with wasting hours being told to change my DSL filter or turn things off and back on again or having someone telling me speedtest is nonsense?

I'd like to get to some level of tech support where they can check the line/the noise/make sure I'm not being held back too aggressively for stability.. basically cut to the chase..

I've got no experience of Sky tech support, my only real interaction with them is when I either try and cancel or they try and get me to take movies and sports lol.

Man of Honour
Mrs has started to use Sky Q a lot since she moved in, she really enjoys the menu system and the 'up next' feature on box sets. She finds it easier than Plex which sometimes messes up.

Soldato
Have you tried a wired test using the master socket?

I've got a wired setup in the house but not off the master socket, I specifically asked them to move the master socket when they were installing (next to the front door, no plug in sight) only to be told "Great news! Fibre no longer needs the master socket!" and to be fair post install I was showing more like 65mb (over speedtest) it's just fallen off a cliff over the last 4 months.

Caporegime
Dish has been up for just over 10 years when we had the house built.

When they installed our Sky Q just over 18 months ago, our dish was about 10 to 11 years old from original Sky, and he changed it along with the LNB, and the wires going to the main Sky Q box, as he thought they look old and tired.

Man of Honour
I've got a wired setup in the house but not off the master socket, I specifically asked them to move the master socket when they were installing (next to the front door, no plug in sight) only to be told "Great news! Fibre no longer needs the master socket!" and to be fair post install I was showing more like 65mb (over speedtest) it's just fallen off a cliff over the last 4 months.
What are your actual sync speeds?

Caporegime
when you order sky Q now as a new customer (single 1TB box) do you get 1 remote or both? bluetooth and non bluetooth? or just non bluetooth and now need to pay extra for non bluetooth?

Soldato
When they installed our Sky Q just over 18 months ago, our dish was about 10 to 11 years old from original Sky, and he changed it along with the LNB, and the wires going to the main Sky Q box, as he thought they look old and tired.

Ta, will have to move some stuff around in the garden then so he can get a ladder up.

Caporegime
1tb box comes with the button, IR remote but you can order a touch remote from the website. On offer for £20.

ok cool. just ordered for in laws and the guy charged them an extra £20 for the remote, however i remember getting it for free. it's a great set up the sky Q, just far too dear at full price for the handful of shows i watch on it.

Soldato
What sort of deal should I be expecting for Sky Q, I've been with them for 18 years and had 3 full package HD boxes but was quoted £90 a month which is £35 more than I pay now..... is that the going rate?

Back
Top Bottom