• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Ah okay do I enable this in the bios? edit: I enabled it but all the cores are still constantly running at 3.9ghz?

Also since putting my new rig together, it seems a second slower than my old intel i5 build, like just clicking things, opening windows etc, windows animations, chrome loading web pages, everything is a second or so slower?

I had this problem. While I have my Windows power profile set to balanced I had tweaked it and maybe unwittingly changed something I shouldn't have. I defaulted the balanced profile and re tweaked and mine now downclocks. I have cool and quiet enabled (I have the same board as you btw).

Raz

Raz

Soldato
What memory voltage are you using? DDR4 will run at over 1.4V quite happily even if specced lower. Up to 1.5V would be OK at a pinch.

Stock cooler seems to be 30C at idle and 60-65C at load (1700 at 3.6)

Thanks. At 1.35 I think. It works with 2 sticks of ram but not 4. Will try upping the voltage.

Overclocking the CPU to 3.25 GHz raises temp to 35ish with load at around 60 which seems a bit high.

Soldato
Anyone had issues with Ryzen default clock speeds? I've just noticed (after some BIOS upgrades) that my 1800x is running at 3.7Ghz constantly, despite being set to defaults (no OC) in the BIOS. I've tried reverting to old BIOSes but no change. Previously I've been running at a 40x multiplier day-to-day anyway.

Soldato
Technically I am an owner of the R5 1600 :) Currently out for delivery.

Spec:
CPU: Ryzen R5 1600 ($209... could have got it cheaper elsewhere, but I had $200 in gift money at a specific retailer that I have been waiting to spend for about a year).
MB: MSI Tomahawk B350 in Black (I really wanted the white version, but I saw the black on offer for $79... hard to ignore!)

The only thing I am trying to decide on is memory. I see G.Skill going for about $166 for the C14 3200mhz, but I see so many reports of broken DRAM sticks with G.Skill. I see Team Group Dark Pro C14 3200Mhz for around $188... but that is more than I ideally wanted to spend.

Trying to work out if I can get away with 4x8GB... but I know that will be hard to get to C14 3200, and I am worried 8GB isn't enough these days.

Permabanned
Anyone had issues with Ryzen default clock speeds? I've just noticed (after some BIOS upgrades) that my 1800x is running at 3.7Ghz constantly, despite being set to defaults (no OC) in the BIOS. I've tried reverting to old BIOSes but no change. Previously I've been running at a 40x multiplier day-to-day anyway.

Power plan settings in windows?

Soldato
Soldato
@FirebarUK

is AMD Cool'n'Quiet is a CPU dynamic frequency scaling and power saving technology introduced byAMD with its Athlon 64 processor line. It works by reducing the processor's clock rate and voltage when the processor is idle.
enabled?

Soldato
@FirebarUK

is AMD Cool'n'Quiet is a CPU dynamic frequency scaling and power saving technology introduced byAMD with its Athlon 64 processor line. It works by reducing the processor's clock rate and voltage when the processor is idle.
enabled?

Thanks, tried with it on and off. It looks like I'm hitting the 3.7 GHz all-core boost frequency, which is why it's hovering here rather than the 4.0 Ghz dual-core boost. So, in short I'm just getting confused I think ;)

Soldato
Anyone had an issues where their chip is actually downclocking when set at a higher frequency?

I'm using a Ryzen 7 1700 and got it set at 3.6Ghz yet in when it boots to windows it's sat at 1549Mhz at idle and under load...

Soldato
Think we will get more than 8 cores on Am4 possibly with zen 2?

The more I run vms, the more I want more cores. I kinda feel like 12 cores would go nicely....

Basically, I think now that I have a new job, and threadripper is out, I'm getting tempted :D

Though perhaps when prices drop. But if we were likely to get 12 cores, it may be more tempting to stay.

Soldato
Think we will get more than 8 cores on Am4 possibly with zen 2?

The more I run vms, the more I want more cores. I kinda feel like 12 cores would go nicely....

Basically, I think now that I have a new job, and threadripper is out, I'm getting tempted :D

Though perhaps when prices drop. But if we were likely to get 12 cores, it may be more tempting to stay.

I was thinking this myself. AMD have promised us that the AM4 socket will be upgradable for at least a few generations of Ryzen. I hope that maybe in the future we will get 12/16 core CPU's for this socket.

Associate
Anyone had an issues where their chip is actually downclocking when set at a higher frequency?

I'm using a Ryzen 7 1700 and got it set at 3.6Ghz yet in when it boots to windows it's sat at 1549Mhz at idle and under load...

It may be the same issue I have with my 1800x, when I adjust the Vcore from auto it somehow makes the mobo set a really low vcore after booting into windows and therefore the chip drops its Frequency. Its not the chip, but the motherboard/Bios.

Soldato
Parts arrived the other day and finally got around to putting most of it together:
KfKRyHDl.jpg

CPU is 1600X so no cooler, I got a Cryorig R1 but I'm still waiting for the AM4 bracket from them, so using the stock cooler from my brother's 1500X for now. Still waiting for the 1080 Ti but that will arrive on Tuesday so when that arrives it'll be time to rip out the PSU from the current desktop.

Looking at the posts above, I take it I shouldn't try to overclock too much with the Spire cooler :p?

Soldato
Parts arrived the other day and finally got around to putting most of it together:
KfKRyHDl.jpg

CPU is 1600X so no cooler, I got a Cryorig R1 but I'm still waiting for the AM4 bracket from them, so using the stock cooler from my brother's 1500X for now. Still waiting for the 1080 Ti but that will arrive on Tuesday so when that arrives it'll be time to rip out the PSU from the current desktop.

Looking at the posts above, I take it I shouldn't try to overclock too much with the Spire cooler :p?

i think most been able to OC? to around 3.8 without issue on the spire, i think GamersNexus did some testing with this also oc3d did too in his cpu round up video

Soldato
Well I am joinng the Ryzen club.

After much thinking I decided spending over £3k on a machine (either X299 or X399 based) was stupid for my use and instead I can get 95% of the performance I need from a normal Ryzen.

So I have just ordered:

- Asrock Tachi X370
- R7 1700
- 16GB Vengeance LED (3200)
- 500GB Samsung 960 pro NVME SSD

This will be combined with:

- Fractal Design Define R3 case
- Thermaltake TP 675w
- GTX 1070
- 2TB Game / video drive

For the moment I will run the CPU on the stock cooler but overtime I want to move into a "better" (read: newer Define model) case that offers actual radiator support.

:D:D:D

Back
Top Bottom